One in the pipe - do you do it?

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OldCannon
Posts in topic: 2

One in the pipe - do you do it?

Post by OldCannon »

I've had a few customers myself that don't carry with a round chambered. I prefer to refer to this firearm condition as "Condition Dumb." Here's a story from a dealer in Tennessee about a recent incident that emphasizes why "locked and loaded" is the only condition that your gun should be in.

"I'm sure you get customers coming in carrying guns with the chamber empty. They'll tell you "I just don't feel safe with one in the chamber." Here's something to share with them:

Customer comes in. He was driving around town about 9PM. Stopped at train crossing with train going through. Not many houses around. Car pulls up behind him. Guy jumps out, looks around. Guy comes up to the driver's side. Pulls 9mm pistol and shoots my customer in the arm. Customer is armed with Taurus .45, empty chamber. Gun shot disables customer's left arm. He manages to get one round racked into the chamber but not before the guy gets back in his car and starts driving off. Customer shoots at him through back window one handed and gun jams. Bad guy gets away (He was arrested in a separate incident later). I guess the gun deterred a car jacking, which is what the bad guy was up to. Empty chamber nearly cost my customer his life. Customer now carries his Judge in the car."
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

thatguy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: One in the pipe - do you do it?

Post by thatguy »

IMHO most who carry their gun without one in the chamber are not comfortable (meaning not familiar, not well trained). Others may be well trained and can "jack" one in the chamber under duress. As for me right now I carry one in the chamber but my loaded gun stays in its holster and only comes out when I am in one of my "safe zones" or I have an urgent issue that requires immediate attention... :txflag:
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

See signature line below.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

race4beer

Post by race4beer »

I carried for the first few days after receiving my CHL loaded, but nothing in the chamber. This was only to get comfortable and used to the weapon being there. Once I chambered a round, and put another on in the Mag - it's been that way since. I took a little bit of time before my mind got used to it, but I'm comfortable (and careful) now carrying this way.

:tiphat:

AEA
Posts in topic: 3

Post by AEA »

IMO, if you are not carrying a 1911 with one in the pipe, locked, then you may just as well carry it empty. :eek6
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

AEA wrote:IMO, if you are not carrying a 1911 with one in the pipe, locked, then you may just as well carry it empty. :eek6
I carry a Kahr, we don't need no stinking "lock". :biggrinjester:

And yes, one in the pipe.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

AEA

Post by AEA »

Jaguar wrote:
AEA wrote:IMO, if you are not carrying a 1911 with one in the pipe, locked, then you may just as well carry it empty. :eek6
I carry a Kahr, we don't need no stinking "lock". :biggrinjester:

And yes, one in the pipe.
I guess I should have phrased that better as I did not mean that you HAD to carry a 1911.

So here is the re-phrased text:
IMO, if you are carrying a 1911 without one in the pipe, locked, then you may just as well carry it empty. :eek6

Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nightmare69 »

The time it takes you to rack the slide could cost you the rest of your life.

Ive carried loaded since day 1 on my Sig with no safety.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Locked and loaded.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

OnceFired

Post by OnceFired »

I began carrying with the chamber empty. Got used to the feel of the gun without worrying about any other complications.

Graduated up to carrying with one in the pipe. Still keep the safety on, tho. I tend to bump into things, so it's a peace of mind issue.

ZA
Video games are an escape from reality. Gun ownership is for when you can't.
CHL - 07/03/12 submitted, 09/07/12 received
Texas Security Guard Jobs

Grillmark55

Post by Grillmark55 »

Just curious; are there any statistics that anybody knows of on unintentional discharges while carrying? I hear a lot of stories of Glock owners shooting off body parts so of COURSE Glocks (and probably all other striker-fired guns without safeties) are dangerous. My question is, how many of these unintentional discharges are actually the gun malfunctioning and how many are the operator "malfunctioning".
A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I had a CHL student tell me he was uncomfortable carrying a semi locked 'n loaded he was going to carry a revolver with five rounds and an empty chamber under the hammer. Oh yeah, he also wore a belt and suspenders a man can't be too careful now can he? I didn't even try to reason with him. :totap:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

rotor

Post by rotor »

Age old argument. But does this settle it?

"Customer comes in. He was driving around town about 9PM. Stopped at train crossing with train going through. Not many houses around. Car pulls up behind him. Guy jumps out, looks around. Guy comes up to the driver's side. Pulls 9mm pistol and shoots my customer in the arm. Customer is armed with Taurus .45, empty chamber. Gun shot disables customer's left arm. He manages to get one round racked into the chamber but not before the guy gets back in his car and starts driving off. Customer shoots at him through back window one handed and gun jams. Bad guy gets away (He was arrested in a separate incident later). I guess the gun deterred a car jacking, which is what the bad guy was up to. Empty chamber nearly cost my customer his life. Customer now carries his Judge in the car."

Would this guy have been prepared to use his .45 when a guy runs up to the window and shoots him in the arm? If I were seated in my car I don't know that I could have gotten to my gun in time with or without one in the pipe. I know all of the arguments but when one considers that for 69 years I was unarmed, now partially armed with one not in the chamber and better armed with one in the chamber I have still not come to a final conclusion as to how I will carry in the future. As a newbie though I do not carry one in the chamber and I need to work my comfort level to one in the chamber. I have a Bodyguard 380 which requires a very hefty (massive) trigger pull so that is not the issue. I know that everyone on this forum says they carry locked and loaded but I wonder if they just say that or really do it. I know with more training the comfort level will change. Just not there yet. And I admit it.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I carry one in, and all my mags -1.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

rotor wrote:I know that everyone on this forum says they carry locked and loaded but I wonder if they just say that or really do it.
100% sure they really do carry with one in the chamber.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Return to “Never Again!!”