One in the pipe - do you do it?

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

A-R
Posts in topic: 1

Re: One in the pipe - do you do it?

Post by A-R »

I haven't read this whole thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but found it interesting to see this topic just after having watched a few minutes of the Zimmerman trial where prosecution seems to be trying to paint carrying one in the pipe as form of premeditation on the part of Zimmerman :headscratch

Defense cross effectively got the prosecution witness (firearm forensic expert, I believe) to say carrying one in the chamber is not abnormal and that nearly all law enforcement officers carry in this manner.

G26ster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G26ster »

A-R wrote: Defense cross effectively got the prosecution witness (firearm forensic expert, I believe) to say carrying one in the chamber is not abnormal and that nearly all law enforcement officers carry in this manner.
The prosecution witness would have sounded much "cooler" if she said "one in the pipe is not abnormal." ;-)

louisf1

Post by louisf1 »

I returned from Afghanistan last August. Depending on the threat level we would carry either empty or a magazine inserted. Some would chamber a round but this was not the way the guidelines dictated. Some were willing to take the chance that if they had a ND that it was on them to face the consequences.

The problem with not having one chambered is obvious when things go south. I personally worked side by side with the afghan army and police. We had an incident where one of the afghan soldiers decided to turn his weapon on our team of trainers. As luck would have it our team came through without any injuries. The afghan soldier was not so lucky and got to meet Allah. From this point on, once we returned from lock down, the way I carried was what I thought was best for my chances of survival.

Too often policies are put in place to cover the group as a whole. Not all soldiers, sailers, airmen and marines are capable or mature enough to do the right thing or to have their mind in the right place. So the politically correct thing to do is to make it as safe as possible for those handling the weapons. This is a hard decision for the leadership to make but probably the easier one versus explaining to the spouse or parent that their son/ daughter was killed by a ND. For those that carried an m4 or m16 it only takes about a half second to charge a round. It's possible to charge a round while bringing the weapon up to the ready position as well. I know there may be a time where that half second mattered. The 9 mm is a different story. Trying to grasp the slide and chamber a round under stress could cost you much more time.

XGC Radioactive

Post by XGC Radioactive »

louisf1 wrote:I returned from Afghanistan last August. Depending on the threat level we would carry either empty or a magazine inserted. Some would chamber a round but this was not the way the guidelines dictated. Some were willing to take the chance that if they had a ND that it was on them to face the consequences.

The problem with not having one chambered is obvious when things go south. I personally worked side by side with the afghan army and police. We had an incident where one of the afghan soldiers decided to turn his weapon on our team of trainers. As luck would have it our team came through without any injuries. The afghan soldier was not so lucky and got to meet Allah. From this point on, once we returned from lock down, the way I carried was what I thought was best for my chances of survival.

Too often policies are put in place to cover the group as a whole. Not all soldiers, sailers, airmen and marines are capable or mature enough to do the right thing or to have their mind in the right place. So the politically correct thing to do is to make it as safe as possible for those handling the weapons. This is a hard decision for the leadership to make but probably the easier one versus explaining to the spouse or parent that their son/ daughter was killed by a ND. For those that carried an m4 or m16 it only takes about a half second to charge a round. It's possible to charge a round while bringing the weapon up to the ready position as well. I know there may be a time where that half second mattered. The 9 mm is a different story. Trying to grasp the slide and chamber a round under stress could cost you much more time.
my mindset is IF i have to draw my weapon and rack one in, then I AM going to use it. That mindset being so, then one in the chamber just seems more logical

*Yes I know there are situations where I may draw, but not actually shoot.

I.E. someone puling "a prank", misunderstanding of a situation, blah blah blah. If I feel that threatened, I'd rather asses the situation with a M&P in my hands.
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
Ted Nugent

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Why this thread is going on, the earth is flat and I am afraid said thread would go poof soon :clapping:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Pecos
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pecos »

I carry my Glock 17 Gen 4 in a retension holster with one in the pipe!!! :tiphat:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Beiruty wrote:Why this thread is going on, the earth is flat and I am afraid said thread would go poof soon :clapping:
Kind of like the over-policing thread, ain't it?

I was gonna post the same question there but it would have kept it going...........

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

s9601694

Post by s9601694 »

Kahr CM 9 or Glock 23 G4 (depending on the attire of the day). Both have one permanently in the pipe, whether they are on my person or in their "beds" (They each have their own GunVault) . I want to be able to grab, point and shoot without questioning in my head if its going to do BANG..

Regarding safeties: i know lots of people like external safeties. I was tought never to use an external safety for the simple reason: a gun is always loaded (that and i was trained with a Glock 17).. I have hardly ever touched the fire selectors (BACAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE ;-) ) on my AR's because they dont have a full auto setting (that works)..
Endowment Member NRA
Life Member RMGO
Z.E.D.U. # 1240

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

s9601694 wrote:Kahr CM 9 or Glock 23 G4 (depending on the attire of the day). Both have one permanently in the pipe, whether they are on my person or in their "beds" (They each have their own GunVault) . I want to be able to grab, point and shoot without questioning in my head if its going to do BANG..

Regarding safeties: i know lots of people like external safeties. I was tought never to use an external safety for the simple reason: a gun is always loaded (that and i was trained with a Glock 17).. I have hardly ever touched the fire selectors (BACAUSE THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE ;-) ) on my AR's because they dont have a full auto setting (that works)..

:iagree: :thumbs2:

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

Beretta 92G, decocker model, no safety, one in chamber at all times. Kholster holster, trigger fully covered. Considerable trigger pull for first shot. Never any issues.

Bersa .380 has safety and decocker, still one in chamber, holster covers trigger, safety on (since it has one and is easily accessible). Never any issues.

I understand there are those who are not comfortable with one in the pipe, and respect that. At least they are carrying and doing so to the best of their abilities/comfort level. Its kind of like the friendly discussions we have regarding best calibers to carry, as far as I'm concerned.

Texheim

Post by Texheim »

Sig P250 Compact one in the pipe, no safety.
"Y'all may go to hell and I shall go to Texas"

treeman

Post by treeman »

I have always carried "one in the pipe" but in the last couple of months I have had to come to grips with not having a round chambered if I want the opportunity to carry concealed at work. The school where I teach has adopted a policy allowing some to carry concealed and one stipulation is that a round is not chambered (another is only use frangible ammo). I understand the handicap this is, but the alternative is not being able to have the weapon on me at all.

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

treeman wrote:I have always carried "one in the pipe" but in the last couple of months I have had to come to grips with not having a round chambered if I want the opportunity to carry concealed at work. The school where I teach has adopted a policy allowing some to carry concealed and one stipulation is that a round is not chambered (another is only use frangible ammo). I understand the handicap this is, but the alternative is not being able to have the weapon on me at all.
Sounds like a fair trade off to me. Im glad some schools are even allowing CHL with teachers! :thumbs2:

Robert*PPS

Post by Robert*PPS »

treeman wrote:I have always carried "one in the pipe" but in the last couple of months I have had to come to grips with not having a round chambered if I want the opportunity to carry concealed at work. The school where I teach has adopted a policy allowing some to carry concealed and one stipulation is that a round is not chambered (another is only use frangible ammo). I understand the handicap this is, but the alternative is not being able to have the weapon on me at all.
"I'd do the same derned thing if id' been me"

RKirkwood

Post by RKirkwood »

Always have one in the pipe. BUT have a friend that is not very confident, doesn't have one in the pipe and makes sure his safety is on. :banghead:

Return to “Never Again!!”