One in the pipe - do you do it?

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

marktx
Posts in topic: 1

Re: One in the pipe - do you do it?

Post by marktx »

as most have said don't make to much sense to carry without 1 in tube.

HankHardisty

Post by HankHardisty »

I carry one in the chamber of my S&W 39. No AD in 40 years! Carry full cylinder in revolvers, too.

chocolate bayou

Post by chocolate bayou »

Cocked and locked everywhere I go.
Brazoria County

proheath
Posts in topic: 3

Post by proheath »

I simply fail to see the point in carrying a piece that's not ready to rock.
I'm on day 2 of my CC journey, and I'm comfortable with with shoving my XDs into my waistband in condition one.
Hell, I have to carry in condition one; otherwise, I lose 12.5% of my ammo capacity. ;-)

Besides, one's weapon will not just "go off". You've got to pull the trigger -- intentional or otherwise. If you're not comfortable knowing that your weapon will discharge the first time you pull that trigger, it might be time to work on that trigger discipline. Whilst it's concealed, you've got your holster and safeties on your side.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

proheath wrote:I simply fail to see the point in carrying a piece that's not ready to rock.
I'm on day 2 of my CC journey, and I'm comfortable with with shoving my XDs into my waistband in condition one.
heck, I have to carry in condition one; otherwise, I lose 12.5% of my ammo capacity. ;-)

Besides, one's weapon will not just "go off". You've got to pull the trigger -- intentional or otherwise. If you're not comfortable knowing that your weapon will discharge the first time you pull that trigger, it might be time to work on that trigger discipline. Whilst it's concealed, you've got your holster and safeties on your side.
You don't use a holster?

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

proheath

Post by proheath »

No sir, I go gangster style. My belt does all the work for me.
:biggrinjester:

Of course I use one. The holster resides in my waistband.

bigity

Post by bigity »

proheath wrote:I simply fail to see the point in carrying a piece that's not ready to rock.
heck, I have to carry in condition one; otherwise, I lose 12.5% of my ammo capacity. ;-)

Not all guns have a grip safety and trigger safety :)

And yes, I carry one in the pipe.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nightmare69 »

bigity wrote:

Not all guns have a grip safety and trigger safety :)

And yes, I carry one in the pipe.
My sigs do not have a safety, the way I like it.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

proheath

Post by proheath »

All my guns from my manufacturer of choice -- Springfield Armory -- have a grip safety and a trigger safety. While the grip safety sometimes feels cumbersome, I KNOW that my piece will not discharge unless a proper grip has been established AND the trigger has been fully engaged. Ultra Safety Assurance, baby. I have no concerns whatsoever with keeping my XDs inside my waistband with a round chambered. I KNOW it will not discharge unless I've got a BG or paper target in my sights and have chosen to engage.

I will never own a handgun with a manual safety, save for a 1911.

I used to own an S&W SD9VE. It had no safety mechanisms whatsoever. While that's debatably a nice feature, I hated that pistol oh so much. The trigger was terrible; the mag would fall out with absolutely no contact on the release button; feed and ejection failures galore (amongst numerous cartridges and loads). I fixed the feed issues with a polished feed ramp, but the ejection problems still ran rampant. I sold it for $20 less than I bought it for. :mrgreen:

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

jmra wrote:
Bill wrote:My Glocks are kept in my holster all the time except . . .
:iagree: all of my SD weapons are loaded and holstered. Even if they are sitting in the safe they are still holstered.
Please note that works with kydex holsters, but leather can and does retain moisture. Leaving a gun sit in a leather holster all the time can lead to surface rust.

My EDC is in the holster from the time I get up until the time I go to bed. Overnight, however, I take it out of the holster. That lets the gun air dry and the holster dry back out. Never had surface rust happen this way.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

tomdavis

Post by tomdavis »

Always one in the pipe with the safety on. Every practice always includes, without too much thinking, keeping trigger finger off the trigger while flipping down the safety. I see those two actions being for the same reason and equally important.
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

When I carry the 1911 one in pipe, hammer back, safety on.

When I carry the FNP9, one in the pipe, when safety is engaged drops the hammer, making it DA,

LCP is DA with no safety, carry in an Uncle Mike pocket holster with the trigger fully enclosed, one in the pipe
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

ripnbst

Post by ripnbst »

I see two "never agains" in your story. Carrying without one in the tube and carrying a Taurus. Since this was presented in a "When a customer walks in" kind of scenario I think there are two take aways from this story to share with your customers.

1) Carry one in the chamber :fire

2) Dont buy Taurus :nono:

Return to “Never Again!!”