Forgot to lock things up "just one time" ...

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CedarElm7
Posts in topic: 1

Forgot to lock things up "just one time" ...

Post by CedarElm7 »

I'm a fanatic about keeping our firearms secured, either in the big safe or in little GunVault safes as the situation requires, plus behind locked doors inside the house/car/camper/whatever, plus an alarm system. I have become a believer in these "layers" of security, the idea being that several layers (each with weaknesses by themselves) provide a cumulative overall higher (even if not completely foolproof) level of security.

However, all the "layers" and locks and alarms and whatever become moot if you forget to engage them. :banghead:

Two weeks ago, packing our travel trailer for our second trip of the summer, I went ahead and put a couple of our handguns in the camper (locked in the GunVault and cable-secured) overnight because we were leaving town before dawn the next morning. When I awoke early and went out to the camper on my driveway, I found ... to my great chagrin ... the camper door wide open and the GunVault laid out on the floor where someone had obviously entered, found it, and tried to open it and/or take it with them. Obviously, I had forgotten to lock the entry door to the camper. Fortunately, the GunVault and cable were sufficient "layers" for this incident and prevented a robbery, but a dead-bolted door should have been in place to prevent the intruder from even getting to that point.

This was a vivid wake-up call for me ... forgetting to lock the door was a very stupid and risky error of negligence which I shall not repeat.
*Texas CHL* *NRA* *TSRA* *SAF* *GOA* *NSSF* Μολών Λαβέ

Excaliber

Re: Forgot to lock things up "just one time" ...

Post by Excaliber »

CedarElm7 wrote:I'm a fanatic about keeping our firearms secured, either in the big safe or in little GunVault safes as the situation requires, plus behind locked doors inside the house/car/camper/whatever, plus an alarm system. I have become a believer in these "layers" of security, the idea being that several layers (each with weaknesses by themselves) provide a cumulative overall higher (even if not completely foolproof) level of security.

However, all the "layers" and locks and alarms and whatever become moot if you forget to engage them. :banghead:

Two weeks ago, packing our travel trailer for our second trip of the summer, I went ahead and put a couple of our handguns in the camper (locked in the GunVault and cable-secured) overnight because we were leaving town before dawn the next morning. When I awoke early and went out to the camper on my driveway, I found ... to my great chagrin ... the camper door wide open and the GunVault laid out on the floor where someone had obviously entered, found it, and tried to open it and/or take it with them. Obviously, I had forgotten to lock the entry door to the camper. Fortunately, the GunVault and cable were sufficient "layers" for this incident and prevented a robbery, but a dead-bolted door should have been in place to prevent the intruder from even getting to that point.

This was a vivid wake-up call for me ... forgetting to lock the door was a very stupid and risky error of negligence which I shall not repeat.

Thanks for posting this. You have perfectly illustrated the importance of layered security and how using it can keep a momentary oversight into turning into a disaster.

It's an important lesson well worth reinforcing from time to time.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Thanks for posting. Glad they weren't able to get what they really wanted...

XGC Radioactive

Post by XGC Radioactive »

I'm terrible about this. ...I don't have any kids, but I've gotten into a habit of taking off my holster and putting it in the sock drawer. Locked doors, but that never really stops the not lazy thieves.
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
Ted Nugent

goose

Post by goose »

Thank you for posting. We have the four "layers" of gun safety. If any one fails the others should be there to protect us. I think that your layered security is the same. Your cable lock and portable safe took up some slack.

A good reminder for us all.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

A few weeks ago, a thief broke into my son's car in his driveway and stole his radar detector. Thankfully, the thief didn't check his trunk, were a custom built very nice AR15 was stored. He brings it in at night now and parks his car inside his garage......where he should have been parking it all along.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

The Annoyed Man wrote:A few weeks ago, a thief broke into my son's car in his driveway and stole his radar detector. Thankfully, the thief didn't check his trunk, were a custom built very nice AR15 was stored. He brings it in at night now and parks his car inside his garage......where he should have been parking it all along.
This brings up another point about "layered security". Don't EVER leave your garage door remote outside in your car at night. Even worse would be to leave it in the car while there's no one home.

Even leaving it in your car elsewhere is a risk. If a thief breaks into your vehicle, he probably has easy access to your garage door remote and your Texas insurance card. Now he has your address too.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

Pawpaw wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:A few weeks ago, a thief broke into my son's car in his driveway and stole his radar detector. Thankfully, the thief didn't check his trunk, were a custom built very nice AR15 was stored. He brings it in at night now and parks his car inside his garage......where he should have been parking it all along.
This brings up another point about "layered security". Don't EVER leave your garage door remote outside in your car at night. Even worse would be to leave it in the car while there's no one home.

Even leaving it in your car elsewhere is a risk. If a thief breaks into your vehicle, he probably has easy access to your garage door remote and your Texas insurance card. Now he has your address too.
I leave mine in the car, but have a locking system on the garage door that locks out the remotes when activated and I turn it on at night.

However, if you have a GPS in the vehicle and you have the 'Home' location set, they can get your garage remote and will have a map straight to your house by using YOUR GPS.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Pawpaw wrote:

My son's garage is old-school. That's why he was parking outside. Pure laziness, which he himself admits. He just didn't want to have to raise the door by hand. Not anymore. Raising the door by hand now seems a lot easier than paying to fix his window, and saving up the money again for another radar detector. His was stolen during the night, and he discovered it when he went out to his car to go to work in the morning, only to be told when he got there that he had been laid off. Sucky day, hard lesson. Thankfully, he's got a decent job now, and he is locking his car up in the garage at night.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Keith B wrote: However, if you have a GPS in the vehicle and you have the 'Home' location set, they can get your garage remote and will have a map straight to your house by using YOUR GPS.
They can also get that information from databases on the internet that allow license plate lookup... (for a small fee)

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

cb1000rider wrote:
Keith B wrote: However, if you have a GPS in the vehicle and you have the 'Home' location set, they can get your garage remote and will have a map straight to your house by using YOUR GPS.
They can also get that information from databases on the internet that allow license plate lookup... (for a small fee)
The people that break into cars are 99.9% not going to be the type that would look up your license number in a database. They will be looking to hit quick, leave and go to the target while the owner is still away.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Keith B wrote:However, if you have a GPS in the vehicle and you have the 'Home' location set, they can get your garage remote and will have a map straight to your house by using YOUR GPS.
That is the exact reason I set the "Home" location on my wife's GPS to the Kroger store about a half mile from the house.

That way, it gets her close enough to home that she can't possibly be lost, without bringing them directly into our subdivision, much less our home.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Keith B wrote:However, if you have a GPS in the vehicle and you have the 'Home' location set, they can get your garage remote and will have a map straight to your house by using YOUR GPS.
That is the exact reason I set the "Home" location on my wife's GPS to the Kroger store about a half mile from the house.

That way, it gets her close enough to home that she can't possibly be lost, without bringing them directly into our subdivision, much less our home.

I don't really worry about the GPS or the license plate. I would think your insurance card would be the first thing someone would grab.

When I lived outside DC there was a rash of break ins at the airport. They would take your insurance card and garage door remote (if you had one) and pay a visit to your house.

This is the main reason why my insurance card shows a PO Box. The other reason is I don't want anyone I am involved with an accident with to have my home address.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I've experienced the ugly pain of being burglarized.

Both home and vehicle on separate occasions.

You have my sympathy.

Count yourself somewhat lucky they didn't vandalize too...

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

The smart thing to do is map to a location NEAR the house, major intersection, some place you still know how to get home, but that will still give the GPS best route path. My "home" is about a mile away from the house.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Return to “Never Again!!”