Dangerous shooters at the range

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

dukalmighty
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dangerous shooters at the range

Post by dukalmighty »

I just passed the NRA RSO course,I usually in the past when I see unsafe behavior will let them know and ask if I can teach them something.then I take the time to do a little instructing and gun safety training,sometimes I'd rather teach somebody than actually shoot and anybody we can teach to be a safer more competent shooter is a win for our sport.
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

CHLLady wrote:Newbie question:

Why are you not supposed to rapid fire in an indoor range?
Every indoor range I've ever seen has bullet holes in the ceiling.

Generally, a gun's muzzle rises under rapid fire.

A gun firing upwards like that is typically going to miss the backstop and thus create a safety hazard.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

Jumping Frog wrote:

Every indoor range I've ever seen has bullet holes in the ceiling.

Generally, a gun's muzzle rises under rapid fire.

A gun firing upwards like that is typically going to miss the backstop and thus create a safety hazard.
Most holes I've seen are from poor muzzle discipline ,trigger control,people that don't know how to shoot trying to teach somebody how to shoot by handing them a loaded gun with little or no instruction,People sitting on a bench and firing a handgun or rifle without looking past the target to see where the rounds will end up,if you look from the side you can see the barrel is angled up and will hit the ceiling if they fire.
We had 2 kids hit at a school in Hidalgo County about a year ago,the shooter was sighting in a rifle on a makeshift range with no backstop about 1/2 mile from the school,his rounds went over the brush behind the target and struck 2 kids outside at basketball practice.One kid was paralyzed and the shooter is going thru the court system on a variety of charges due to his negligence.
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

bdickens
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bdickens »

Most ranges say "no rapid fire." Outdoor ones, too. It's because of all the yahoos who would otherwise show up and spray bullets everywhere because they can't shoot decently.

I have actually gotten away with rapid firing at a couple of ranges, probably because I don't go wildly burn off a whole magazine at once but instead fire 2-5 round strings that all hit the target with reasonable accuracy.
Byron Dickens

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by howdy »

I recall at the old DPS range in Austin, the tin shelter and wood support ABOVE the shooters were full of holes.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “Never Again!!”