someone tried to get in my house TWICE. I NEED VIDEO ADVICE

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Re: someone tried to get in my house TWICE. I NEED VIDEO ADV

Post by Keith B »

92f-fan wrote:
Its not urban legend - Its my experience.
But we are not talking here about a child disappearing - we are talking about burglary. Or attempted burglary.

So perhaps ( stating the obvious ) the difference is in the crime - In my experience North Dallas, Carrollton, Grand Prairie, and Duncanville Police are uninterested in Video - Even GOOD video when its a traffic or property crime. They cant even be troubled to come get the video or look at it. If a small child is involved I wouldnt be surprised if everyone involved is more engaged.
The patrol officers may not be interested, but the detectives investigating the case more than likely will be. I have provided video of attempted vehicle burglaries numerous times to one of the Plano motor vehicle burglary detectives. He even called me to ask for video of a specific model of vehicle when we had some home burglaries in the neighborhood. The best thing you can do after an event is call a day or so after and find out who the detective is leading the investigation and let then know you have video. Even if you tell the patrol officers you have it they may not get that fact clearly into the report and the detective may not know it is available.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

baldeagle wrote:You can buy wireless webcams for about $30-$60 each, so four wouldn't cost you more than $250. You view them on your computer, and you can set it up so you can watch them at work. You can buy wireless webcams with "IR night vision" for $80 at Best Buy, so four would cost you $320. You can buy wireless night vision webcams with motion detection for less than $50 on eBay - http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wireless-wifi-i ... era-webcam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - 4 cameras would cost you $200.

You need to read up on it - install software on your computer (which you can download for free) and tie it all together so that you can view it. If you know what you're doing, you can even view it from work or on your PDA, setup email notifications, etc.

Good info there :iagree:

Harborfreight sales systems as well... make sure you download a %20 off coupon first.

92f-fan

Post by 92f-fan »

One final note

If you want to be able to see a decent description of a car or a face or a plate you will need decent cameras and a decent DVR to record them

The linked camera lists the image capture as 300k pixels - thats 1/3 of one megapixel resolution thats the same as in this give away toy
http://omijia.en.alibaba.com/product/53 ... _016_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It lists video as 640x480
That is standard definition normal TV resolution ( normal for 10 years ago ) BUT thats not enough for use to ID someone.
here is a sample video taken from that kind of camera
http://www.c-mor.com/motion-detection/v ... tion-4.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you wouldnt be able to identify anyone or read a plate with that resolution

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

92f-fan wrote:
It lists video as 640x480
That is standard definition normal TV resolution ( normal for 10 years ago ) BUT thats not enough for use to ID someone.
here is a sample video taken from that kind of camera
http://www.c-mor.com/motion-detection/v ... tion-4.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
you wouldnt be able to identify anyone or read a plate with that resolution
640x480 is good enough to ID a person, but not a license plate. I use that resolution with my Trendnet wireless network cameras. If you want to see the quality, here are a couple of videos where someone tried to get into my car.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 4

Post by baldeagle »

Nice. Opportunists roaming the neighborhood looking for easy pickins. Grrrrr....
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

baldeagle wrote:Nice. Opportunists roaming the neighborhood looking for easy pickins. Grrrrr....
It's called 'Car Hopping' and they go through a location hopping from car to car looking for open doors to rummage through or visible items of value and then may force a break-in if they want the item bad enough.
Keith

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 4

Post by baldeagle »

If you're like me and you don't mind spending a little more to get a good turnkey system, you might consider CCTV Camera Pros. You can also build your own system with their help, depending upon your needs.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
Target1911
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Target1911 »

Due to limited funds and great reviews I settled on the NIGHT OWL 8ch 4 cam system from WalMart at $300
I will do a review of it when I get it set up and after running it for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all of the help and vid samples. Those help (me) more than anything.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

nyj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nyj »

I'd check out the deal on groupon and maybe cancel that order

http://www.groupon.com//raf/UserReferra ... /uu9552972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; check under new deals

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CHLLady »

Target1911 wrote:Due to limited funds and great reviews I settled on the NIGHT OWL 8ch 4 cam system from WalMart at $300
I will do a review of it when I get it set up and after running it for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all of the help and vid samples. Those help (me) more than anything.
Highly recommend Night Owl! Excellent 24/7/365 American customer service. Tiger Direct also sells them at a good price.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Return to “Never Again!!”