Child shoots Policeman with his holstered Glock 35

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Child shoots Policeman with his holstered Glock 35

Post by philip964 »

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/09/ ... ing-event/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Child pulls trigger on his holstered Glock 35 at school reading event. Guaranteed to be a bad day at work.

California.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Child shoots Policeman with his holstered Glock 35

Post by Beiruty »

A duty holster should cover the trigger, no? :totap: :totap:
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Beiruty wrote:A duty holster should cover the trigger, no? :totap: :totap:
Police say because the gun was in a holster the accommodate the attached flashlight, the trigger was more accessible.
It didn't make sense to me either. What a flashlight and a trigger guard have to do with one another isn't clear.

Having been in classrooms with kids around that age, it isn't uncommon for them to want to get close to a "special" person that is brought in. If the officer's focus was other than what was directly around his gun, it would have been easy for one of the kids to slip up unnoticed and just reach in without warning.

The article talks about changing protocols. How about just wearing a holster with a trigger guard in such situations? I realize that mine is an IWB but there is no way for a child to have done the same to me.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Dang..I wonder what kind of holster he was using? My tactical holster was just as secure as my normal gun belt holster. We used to do a lot of these dog and pony shows, you don't let the kids touch your gun when they try. I hope his injury heals fast.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

texanjoker wrote:Dang..I wonder what kind of holster he was using? My tactical holster was just as secure as my normal gun belt holster. We used to do a lot of these dog and pony shows, you don't let the kids touch your gun when they try. I hope his injury heals fast.
Article said the injury was minor. But to me any wound is serious business.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I'm wondering if this going to result in changing the rules somehow?

If his situational awareness is such that he could not focus on reading to the kids and also know that a kid was touching his gun, a) he has a problem and I hope he doesn't have any kids of his own b) if he does any more of this sort of events could he possibly switch out his holster to a different one? maybe even removing the flashlight if needed? I wouldn't want him to have to leave his gun in his car.

wow he's going to be picked on badly....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

chasfm11 wrote:
Police say because the gun was in a holster the accommodate the attached flashlight, the trigger was more accessible.
It didn't make sense to me either. What a flashlight and a trigger guard have to do with one another isn't clear.
I can see that the holster might need to be wider around the trigger guard to allow entry of the flashlight. That would mean a gap possibly big enough for a child to put their small finger inside the holster and access the trigger.

Just my uninformed guess. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Bad things can and do happen. Hope the kids are ok.

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

They need to talk to the kid to find out his intent? Give me a break.
Charlie

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

TxRVer wrote:They need to talk to the kid to find out his intent? Give me a break.
If it had been any other State besides CA (and maybe NJ, MD, NY, etc). I would have said that some gun safety training could have prevented this situation. But we all know that there is no way ever that CA schools would allow any sort of a gun safety course. Our 9 yr old granddaughter understands very well that no one ever should put their finger on the trigger of a gun unless it is on target and ready to fire. But for kids without that kind of background, a gun can be a curiosity. It could have been just an innocent reach to touch the gun by the child. In the 7-8 year old range, they want to touch everything. That is why many of the hands on exhibits at the museums are so popular with them.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

howdy

Post by howdy »

TxRVer wrote:They need to talk to the kid to find out his intent? Give me a break.

Trying to place blame??? :headscratch
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

Here's where the active safety guys can point a finger at the "trigger safety" guys and go see! :boxing

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

chasfm11 wrote:

Having been in classrooms with kids around that age, it isn't uncommon for them to want to get close to a "special" person that is brought in. If the officer's focus was other than what was directly around his gun, it would have been easy for one of the kids to slip up unnoticed and just reach in without warning.

The article talks about changing protocols. How about just wearing a holster with a trigger guard in such situations? I realize that mine is an IWB but there is no way for a child to have done the same to me.
Holsters for attached tactical lights have bigger openings because the lights are wider than the rest of the gun. I can see that little kid fingers could reach in and find a trigger.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

philip964 wrote:
texanjoker wrote:Dang..I wonder what kind of holster he was using? My tactical holster was just as secure as my normal gun belt holster. We used to do a lot of these dog and pony shows, you don't let the kids touch your gun when they try. I hope his injury heals fast.
Article said the injury was minor. But to me any wound is serious business.
...especially, if it's my wound. "rlol"

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

Does Fobus make holsters like this that can be worn on a thigh set-up?

http://www.fobusholster.com/products/GL ... 7-331.html
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Return to “Never Again!!”