Boy I'm Glad

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RX8er
Posts in topic: 1

Boy I'm Glad

Post by RX8er »

This is the first time that I am glad that The_Busy_Mom and I were carrying. We always do, but the other night, I was thankful. The reason for the post here in Never Again, well that is at the end.

The other night, the wife and I went on a 200 mile motorcycle ride. We were in a town and decided to stop and get a soda for the sugar rush and the push home. As we got off our bikes and walked to the convenience store door, there was a male that walked up as well. It was a bit strange as he seemed to appear out of nowhere and we are always very observant of our surroundings. I opened the door and allowed him to enter first. As the three of us walked in to the store he slowed down and was following me as he commented on the bikes and the hot night. I am in orange state bordering on red at this point. My wife fell back and took a watch and see position as I walked up to the soda display. The male followed me too. It was the wrong section I was in so he followed me to where the Dr. Pepper was and at this point, I am resting my hand on my holster ready to draw. The store clerks were watching his every move as well. I walked up to the counter and so did the male with a random drink in his left hand and his right hand in his pocket. I paid and as I turned around to exit the store I hear him say, oh, I forgot my wallet and followed us out. He approached us and asked if he could borrow a couple bucks. I nicely said that I can't help him out and he walked off slowly looking back at us a couple times.

Both TBM and I think that we foiled a robbery or even a mugging because he realized I / we were carrying. Maybe not and everything was harmless but I am SO glad that we both were ready for anything to come. This is the first time that training kicked in, I'm looking for bystanders, planning how to stop the threat and trying to get a good mental picture of what and how to do it. I am glad that I did not have to draw!!

Now, the Never Again. If I would have listened to my gut at the very first moment, I would have let him in the store and then turned around and got back on the bikes and found another store. Thankfully, there will be a next time and this is exactly what I'll do.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Boy I'm Glad

Post by Jumping Frog »

Glad it worked out. Always trust your gut.

I've had instances at convenient stores where people started approaching me in an obvious panhandle manner and I've given them the extended hand, palm out "Stop" gesture while telling them to "leave me alone, stay back, I've got nothing you want".

The 5 or 6 times I've had to do that, he has always turned on his heel and left. The day someone ignores my message and continues to approach is the day my hand grips my holstered handgun.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Been there, done that, aggressive "panhandler" in his late teens / early twenties, wearing a hoodie sweatshirt with the hood up in late May, in west Texas. I was leaving a store with my mother, and he tried to "get around" me to get to her, left hand held out, right jammed into the pocket of his sweatshirt. I put my hand on my belt near my gun (without exposing it), and he got the message and sprinted about 40 yards away, then turned and yelled "I thought you were good people!" at me. Body language was all wrong for a panhandler, and most beggars, even if they recognized my action, would've persisted, albeit more cautiously. Someone looking to mug / rob someone, though, especially a smart one, would be looking out for anything that might indicate the "victim" is anything but.

Had he actually gotten around me, my mother would've given him the shock of his life! Well, her and her Sig. :evil2:

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CHLLady »

You both were so observant and did great reading his body language and signals. He sure was observant of you both too. Could have gone really bad, but you both held your ground in the moment and worked as a team. I'm so happy it ended well!
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Just the fact that these "in need" folks get close enough to ask for money has always bothered me. A lot of time it is like they are trying on purpose to get into your personal space.

I am glad that you and TBM are ok. :thumbs2:

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

carlson1 wrote:Just the fact that these "in need" folks get close enough to ask for money has always bothered me. A lot of time it is like they are trying on purpose to get into your personal space.
I agree. That is why I'll start the "Stop" talk with as much distance as I can reasonably make work.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Jumping Frog wrote:.. That is why I'll start the "Stop" talk with as much distance as I can reasonably make work.
Had something similar happen to me this summer in Colorado. Fellow starts to approach me while saying they (had a female in the car) were on their way to California. Problem was they were about 100 miles south of I-70. As soon as I heard that sentence I said in a firm voice "go away." The guy said "what?" He was never closer than about 5-7 yards to me.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

nyj

Post by nyj »

Oh, man, how scary! You got bugged by a transient! Glad you were hand-on-holster ready to draw!

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

nyj wrote:Oh, man, how scary! You got bugged by a transient! Glad you were hand-on-holster ready to draw!

A lot of times, muggers masquerade as transients, or businessmen, or just regular folks. Ignore their clothes and focus on the body language.

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 4

Post by CHLLady »

drjoker wrote:
nyj wrote:Oh, man, how scary! You got bugged by a transient! Glad you were hand-on-holster ready to draw!

A lot of times, muggers masquerade as transients, or businessmen, or just regular folks. Ignore their clothes and focus on the body language.
Excellent advice! :thumbs2:

I've never seen so many panhandlers as in Austin. Seems like it has exploded there.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Quote heard long time ago: "Humans are the only animals that will deny danger." Glad you reasonably had the proper tool and didn't have to use it due to your situational smarts.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

I still get yelled at about this. Several years ago we were leaving the fair and as is usual it was fairly late. This was a rare occasion when we went at week's end (Friday) because the girls wanted to see somebody. There was a fairly new Exxon outside the gates and I "needed" some coffee for the drive home. There was a fairly long line at the counter and there was an ODO from DPS over by the front door.

Several of the people in line started cranking up and it looked like there was going to be some trouble. I turned to face it, I was effectively cornered and I went to my hip under my shirt tail where I was carrying. I made eye contact with the DPS officer who had assumed a similar stance and he nodded in what I took as recognition. As quickly as it started it simmered down, not sure why. I left without my coffee and then got in the already running car with a very angry SO.

The myriad points of my corrections, which were all valid:
1)Why on Earth would we spend any more time in that area than necessary to hit the freeway?
2)Why on Earth would I stop, get out of the car and expose my family as well?
3)She had started the car, and if I hadn't come out when I did she was going to leave me.
4)Next time she would AND there wasn't going to be a next time.

FWIW, the adrenaline (and admonishment) kept me alert all the way home. A poor substitute for coffee, but hey, that ship had sailed.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

carlson1 wrote:Just the fact that these "in need" folks get close enough to ask for money has always bothered me. A lot of time it is like they are trying on purpose to get into your personal space.

I am glad that you and TBM are ok. :thumbs2:
They ARE getting in your personal space on purpose. It is to make you uncomfortable so that you will give them money to get rid of them.

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

CHLLady wrote: I've never seen so many panhandlers as in Austin. Seems like it has exploded there.
Nope. Those are just hipsters and that's their job. They don't feel the need to be tied to a regular job, so they panhandle to get their money for the day, then move on with their day when they have what they need.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Tic Tac

Post by Tic Tac »

At least it's still legal to opt out of that wealth distribution scam.

Return to “Never Again!!”