Lesson learned

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lesson learned

Post by drjoker »

Your story is exactly why guns prevent crimes. The measley 2% of the population who has CHL's cannot prevent all that much crime BUT the perps don't know who is and who is NOT armed. To prevent getting shot, they have to guess, so many who aren't armed but look like they MIGHT be armed are spared violent crimes. Before I got my CHL, I used that bluff myself several times... and it worked! Be careful, this bluff only works on sober people.

I was walking out of a grocery store at midnight (I work a lot of evenings) when I noticed a guy with no grocery sack in hand followed me out of the store. I turned around and put my hand inside my coat as if I'm reaching for a shoulder holster. The guy instantly stops, then makes gun signs with his hands, and says, "Bang, bang!" and runs back inside the store. Because he thought that I had a gun on me (I didn't), I was able to go home unscathed.

P.S. I thought that it was a rather bizarre incident. Why did he make gun signs and say, "Bang, bang!" ?! People sometimes make no sense at all... but then, killing someone for the $5 in her purse makes no sense at all either. One of my earliest childhood memories is that of me and my Dad inside his store. We both hear some commotion in the alley behind the store so my dad goes out and tells me to stay put. I snuck out after him and see a woman on the ground with no obvious wound. She had been shot for $5 that was in her purse (we later learned through the grapevine). I had expected that a woman who was shot dead would produce a lot of blood but I didn't see any blood (I was a kid but now, working in the E.R. I know that you don't have to lose a lot of blood to be dead of a gunshot wound, as it depends on where you're shot.).
VoiceofReason wrote:You don’t have to be at a dimly lit store in a bad part of town to get in a situation. An event in a well lit service station, truck stop, convenience store just South of Houston was the deciding factor in me getting my CHL.

My wife and I left very early to make a long trip. We stopped at the above referenced store. It was before daylight and the attached Mickey D’s wasn’t open yet. I was the only one in the men’s room and I walk with a cane.

A convoy of cars being towed very South had stopped and three of the drivers came in the restroom behind me. They weren’t there to use the restroom. They were in a little huddle talking quiet and looking at me. I realized they could choke me out, rob me and be gone before my wife wondered what was taking me so long. I put my hand in my pocket, turned to face them and just stood there looking at them. They left.

The only thing I had in my pocket was a sweaty palm and I am sure glad they didn’t call my bluff. I will never again have to bluff.

As I said, You don’t have to be at a dimly lit store in a bad part of town to get in a situation, stay alert even in the nice places. BTW I lived in Waco for a couple of years and have some in-laws that live there. You can get in trouble just about any place in that city.

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Lesson learned

Post by VoiceofReason »

drjoker wrote:Your story is exactly why guns prevent crimes. The measley 2% of the population who has CHL's cannot prevent all that much crime BUT the perps don't know who is and who is NOT armed. To prevent getting shot, they have to guess, so many who aren't armed but look like they MIGHT be armed are spared violent crimes. Before I got my CHL, I used that bluff myself several times... and it worked! Be careful, this bluff only works on sober people.

I was walking out of a grocery store at midnight (I work a lot of evenings) when I noticed a guy with no grocery sack in hand followed me out of the store. I turned around and put my hand inside my coat as if I'm reaching for a shoulder holster. The guy instantly stops, then makes gun signs with his hands, and says, "Bang, bang!" and runs back inside the store. Because he thought that I had a gun on me (I didn't), I was able to go home unscathed.

P.S. I thought that it was a rather bizarre incident. Why did he make gun signs and say, "Bang, bang!" ?! People sometimes make no sense at all... but then, killing someone for the $5 in her purse makes no sense at all either. One of my earliest childhood memories is that of me and my Dad inside his store. We both hear some commotion in the alley behind the store so my dad goes out and tells me to stay put. I snuck out after him and see a woman on the ground with no obvious wound. She had been shot for $5 that was in her purse (we later learned through the grapevine). I had expected that a woman who was shot dead would produce a lot of blood but I didn't see any blood (I was a kid but now, working in the E.R. I know that you don't have to lose a lot of blood to be dead of a gunshot wound, as it depends on where you're shot.).
VoiceofReason wrote:You don’t have to be at a dimly lit store in a bad part of town to get in a situation. An event in a well lit service station, truck stop, convenience store just South of Houston was the deciding factor in me getting my CHL.

My wife and I left very early to make a long trip. We stopped at the above referenced store. It was before daylight and the attached Mickey D’s wasn’t open yet. I was the only one in the men’s room and I walk with a cane.

A convoy of cars being towed very South had stopped and three of the drivers came in the restroom behind me. They weren’t there to use the restroom. They were in a little huddle talking quiet and looking at me. I realized they could choke me out, rob me and be gone before my wife wondered what was taking me so long. I put my hand in my pocket, turned to face them and just stood there looking at them. They left.

The only thing I had in my pocket was a sweaty palm and I am sure glad they didn’t call my bluff. I will never again have to bluff.

As I said, You don’t have to be at a dimly lit store in a bad part of town to get in a situation, stay alert even in the nice places. BTW I lived in Waco for a couple of years and have some in-laws that live there. You can get in trouble just about any place in that city.
I turned around and put my hand inside my coat as if I'm reaching for a shoulder holster.
Now if I put my hand inside my denim vest/coat, my hand will be on the grip of the Kimber 45 I carry in a shoulder holster. :fire bang bang
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Return to “Never Again!!”