Lesson learned

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bauer
Posts in topic: 4

Lesson learned

Post by bauer »

So tonight I did something I've always told myself I would never do. I had an errand to run in Waco. After completing my errand I stopped to buy a drink in an unfamiliar area of a city I know little about to begin. It was 8 and thus dark outside. Now, the one thing I did that I always swear I'll never do is I stopped at a very poorly lit store, in an already unfamiliar place. The only real light was the faint orange glow of the street lights and the light that was produced by lights inside the store.

So I pull into the parking lot of the gas station and went in to purchase a Coke. I had scanned the path from my truck to the door and already felt uneasy as I was certainly in a bad area of town. I decided to go ahead and enter the store. I'm the only person there so I pull my drinks from the cooler and pay for them. I make my way out the door and the second I step outside a guy starts trying to wave me down from the next lot over while walking toward me. I decide to make a beeline for the truck. As he sees this he begins to pick up into a jog towards the vehicle while still waving and yelling towards me. He then says some to another guy who was between me and him but was concealed from my view as he was on the side of the quick stop. That guy then turns the corner and begins waving me down and approaching my passenger side as I get my door open. My thought process was telling me this was about to get bad for me real quick. I get the door open and key in the ignition and high tail it out of there down towards I35.

I get out of the parking lot and realize that at some point I had unholstered and placed my Kimber in my lap. I don't really remember doing so. I guess it happened in a split second and with adrenaline pumping instinct kicked in. Anyways, lesson learned and never again will I stop if I can't see all areas around a store due to poor lighting.
R.I.P SSG Ward 6 Apr 2013
"Garry Owen"

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lesson learned

Post by jmra »

Always a good thing when a lesson is learned without much of a price paid.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Glad everything ended up okay for you.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I know so little about Waco that I wouldn't know what "the bad part of town" was so as to avoid it. When I went dove hunting a few weeks ago, it was in Moody, a little bit southwest of Waco. I stopped in Waco for gas on the way down there while it was still dark.....about 5:00 a.m.....at at 7-Eleven alongside I-35. It occurred to me that this might be a less than optimal area, but it being dark and so early in the morning, there was nothing obvious to me that it was so. It was an uneventful stop, and I was fueled up and gone in about 5 minutes.

Sometimes you just don't know, and you have to keep your wits about you and hope it all turns out OK. The OP describes running to his truck. I would have walked, because running is just out of the question for me. It just goes to show that being younger and in better shape offers you some options you won't have later in life.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Yes, scary situation. Next time, trust those instincts and find a safer place to stop. So glad you got out of there safely. ;-)
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Topic author
bauer

Post by bauer »

The Annoyed Man wrote: The OP describes running to his truck. I would have walked, because running is just out of the question for me. It just goes to show that being younger and in better shape offers you some options you won't have later in life.
It wasn't quite a run but a high intensity power walk. Running gives a sense of fear and thats something I didn't wanna give off. The whole incident could have been innocent but I didn't want to take chances and as my gut was telling me it wasn't innocent.
"Garry Owen"

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Sounds like you did good.

Be careful on the gun in the lap. It would be easy to drop it or have it slide off the seat while you peel out. The FBI learned that during the Miami shootout many years ago.

Topic author
bauer

Post by bauer »

texanjoker wrote:
Be careful on the gun in the lap. It would be easy to drop it or have it slide off the seat while you peel out. The FBI learned that during the Miami shootout many years ago.
Yeah, in hindsight it was probably a terrible idea and I don't even really remember placing it there. As soon as I realized it, I reholstered at the next stop light.
"Garry Owen"

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

bauer wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: The OP describes running to his truck. I would have walked, because running is just out of the question for me. It just goes to show that being younger and in better shape offers you some options you won't have later in life.
It wasn't quite a run but a high intensity power walk. Running gives a sense of fear and thats something I didn't wanna give off. The whole incident could have been innocent but I didn't want to take chances and as my gut was telling me it wasn't innocent.
Same here. I don't think I could run if I was on fire!

That's why you don't mess with old folks. We don't run, we don't fight. We will just have to shoot you.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I know so little about Waco that I wouldn't know what "the bad part of town" was so as to avoid it.

Yes.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasCajun »

So after a few days & ample opportunity to MMQB the situation, any idea why you ignored your instincts to begin with? Also, any ideas as to what you'll do different next time?
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Topic author
bauer

Post by bauer »

TexasCajun wrote:So after a few days & ample opportunity to MMQB the situation, any idea why you ignored your instincts to begin with? Also, any ideas as to what you'll do different next time?
Yeah, it had been a long day with quite a bit of driving, and dealing with UT-OU traffic headed towards Dallas. I needed a pick me up so I stopped for caffeine. I didn't know the area very, only know a few streets around 35. So I didn't know when the next gas station would pop up. I didn't see any cars in the parking lot and from what I could see there was nobody around. The reasons for ignoring instincts were stupid and could have cost me but at the time I was looking for an energy boost and that came in the form of a Coke. Stupid? Most definitely!

Next time I'll trudge on till I find a more comfortable situation to stop.

As we tell the kids, "It only takes one stupid decision to change your life forever." Luckily I got out of mine without any negative consequences.
"Garry Owen"

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Glad it turned out OK. Sometimes lucky ain't so bad! :tiphat:
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

Crossfire wrote:
bauer wrote:
Same here. I don't think I could run if I was on fire!

That's why you don't mess with old folks. We don't run, we don't fight. We will just have to shoot you.
I here ya!!!! :mrgreen:
Sounds like you were very aware. Glad it didnt turn out ugly for you. There's no better feeling than having a policeman on you hip!!! :biggrinjester:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

You don’t have to be at a dimly lit store in a bad part of town to get in a situation. An event in a well lit service station, truck stop, convenience store just South of Houston was the deciding factor in me getting my CHL.

My wife and I left very early to make a long trip. We stopped at the above referenced store. It was before daylight and the attached Mickey D’s wasn’t open yet. I was the only one in the men’s room and I walk with a cane.

A convoy of cars being towed very South had stopped and three of the drivers came in the restroom behind me. They weren’t there to use the restroom. They were in a little huddle talking quiet and looking at me. I realized they could choke me out, rob me and be gone before my wife wondered what was taking me so long. I put my hand in my pocket, turned to face them and just stood there looking at them. They left.

The only thing I had in my pocket was a sweaty palm and I am sure glad they didn’t call my bluff. I will never again have to bluff.

As I said, You don’t have to be at a dimly lit store in a bad part of town to get in a situation, stay alert even in the nice places. BTW I lived in Waco for a couple of years and have some in-laws that live there. You can get in trouble just about any place in that city.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Return to “Never Again!!”