Woman accidentally kills herself at shooting range

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Woman accidentally kills herself at shooting range

Post by philip964 »

http://www.mrcolionnoir.com/news/woman- ... gun-range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

.500 S&W, first shot caused uncontrolled recoil and second shot went into her head.

RIP

More ammunition for the anti's. Many of the comments are spot on.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Woman accidentally kills herself at shooting range

Post by Oldgringo »

I bet the family she was visiting really feels badly about this. I wonder if they were also from Columbia?

jmra

Post by jmra »

That's horrible.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

While I'm not a person who believes in charging folks with just anything, when I read that story the phrase "reckless endangerment" came to mind. Is that the right phrase?

Dave2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dave2 »

K.Mooneyham wrote:While I'm not a person who believes in charging folks with just anything, when I read that story the phrase "reckless endangerment" came to mind. Is that the right phrase?
I think so, yeah, but I'm pretty sure whomever's guilty of it in this case is already "paying" pretty heavily.

My word, that must be awful... This is why you start people on guns with just one round, even if we're talking .22s.

Stay careful out there.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have a .500 and do not let my wife or daughter shoot it because of the recoil. Heck, I don't shoot many rounds at a time through it.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This is really tragic, but . . .

A .500 S&W is a revolver --- she fires first round and the recoil both raises her arms and quite probably rotates her wrists also. I have two problems with this explanation. First, the .500 S&W has a long barrel and I can't see it pointing at her head at maximum recoil; it should be over her head. More importantly, I would be more than a little surprised to see her pull a double action trigger the 2nd time while the gun was in recoil or the upper-most recoil position.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it'd take a lot, I mean a lot, of evidence for me to be convinced.

Chas.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

george wrote:If I am shooting a gun that I haved worked on, or anytime I am allowing a new shooter to shoot my gun, it is ALWAYS loaded with just one round.
Same here.
Easily avoidable tragedy borne out of insufficient respect for a very big boomer.

Terribly sad.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

Post by E.Marquez »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This is really tragic, but . . .

A .500 S&W is a revolver --- she fires first round and the recoil both raises her arms and quite probably rotates her wrists also. I have two problems with this explanation. First, the .500 S&W has a long barrel and I can't see it pointing at her head at maximum recoil; it should be over her head. More importantly, I would be more than a little surprised to see her pull a double action trigger the 2nd time while the gun was in recoil or the upper-most recoil position.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it'd take a lot, I mean a lot, of evidence for me to be convinced.

Chas.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

E.Marquez wrote:

Chas.
Beat me to it. . . . .
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

E.Marquez wrote:

Chas.
The You Tube clip only reinforces what Charles said. Firing a rapid second shot with the revolver in such an awkward position would be impossible even for Jerry Miculek. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

Post by E.Marquez »

MoJo wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:

Chas.
The You Tube clip only reinforces what Charles said. Firing a rapid second shot with the revolver in such an awkward position would be impossible even for Jerry Miculek. :tiphat:
I was nether agreeing or not with what Mr Cotton had to say.. I simply posted a visual example of the likely event :tiphat:
I specifically posted without comment so as to not offend anyone with words I typed expressing my opinion and position.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

There was a robber that managed it with a snubbie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQj5GYDxzU
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Pawpaw wrote:There was a robber that managed it with a snubbie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQj5GYDxzU
Darwin is alive and well.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Never Again!!”