Woman accidentally kills herself at shooting range

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Woman accidentally kills herself at shooting range

Post by Excaliber »

E.Marquez wrote:
Excaliber wrote: I suppose it's remotely possible that the violence of the recoil combined with a twisting of the arms could possibly result in the trigger being pulled by the recoil itself with the finger in the trigger guard, but that would be a really far out freak accident.
After personally witnessing, investigating, reviewing the investigations of literally hundreds of Negligent discharges that resulted in death, injury and or in most cases embarrassment.. From US, French, Polish, Canadian, Iraq and Afghanistan folks I can say without a doubt no method of ND reported to me is viewed as impossible or not plausible.

For sure each needs to be looked at interdependently with no preconceived notions it was or was not a intentional discharge, or ND with or without malice.. But nothing would surprise me at this point.
I've seen enough intentional deaths presented as accidents that, especially when something really unusual presents itself, I suspect homicide or suicide first and conclude "accident" only when the first two possibilities are eliminated by evidence.

It's true that very strange and borderline incredible things really do happen with fair frequency, but there are lots of stories I'm not willing to buy without a whole lot of corroboration.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

NavAir
Posts in topic: 1

Post by NavAir »

TREKFAN wrote:http://youtu.be/DFAApRUH094

Crazy chick does it with one hand ! Gotta see.
Looks like reduced loads to me. No way the recoil of a .500 standard load is that low. Plus, the report is awfully quiet...

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

Post by E.Marquez »

Excaliber wrote:
I've seen enough intentional deaths presented as accidents that, especially when something really unusual presents itself, I suspect homicide or suicide first and conclude "accident" only when the first two possibilities are eliminated by evidence.

It's true that very strange and borderline incredible things really do happen with fair frequency, but there are lots of stories I'm not willing to buy without a whole lot of corroboration.
:tiphat: Fair enough,, perspective, experience and being products of our environment lead us to different assumptions and preconceived positions :cheers2:

For me, I look at an event like this from my experiences, hundreds of ND's and I see how that can prove true, open to how it could have been suicide or murder.

But I completely get how a person who investigates homicides, suicides or murders for a living would look at it as that, only seeing other if they find evidence that rules out those things leaving negligence or the like as a reasonable explanation.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

E.Marquez wrote:
Excaliber wrote:

:tiphat: Fair enough,, perspective, experience and being products of our environment lead us to different assumptions and preconceived positions :cheers2:

For me, I look at an event like this from my experiences, hundreds of ND's and I see how that can prove true, open to how it could have been suicide or murder.

But I completely get how a person who investigates homicides, suicides or murders for a living would look at it as that, only seeing other if they find evidence that rules out those things leaving negligence or the like as a reasonable explanation.
Two approaches to the same task, and both valid.

The key is an unbiased examination of all the evidence, including the apparent anomalies that might not make any sense at all at first.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

One of my pet peeves is when guys take girls out and have them shoot semi auto pistols without any training. There are a lot of "funny" videos on youtube with women (and some men) having pistols and even rifles rear back and either sweep their face or bystanders. Why do people think this is funny? Like any sport or hobby, its accidents like this that bring a bad light onto the activity.

I recently had a conversation with a CHL instructor and I'm amazed at how many dangerous situations he had to deal with on the range. We tend to make the presumtion that CHL'rs are responsible gun owners, but I wonder if this 4 hour class is bringing on another breed of CHL holder.

OK, I know that's 2 rants in one, but you get my point.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

Texsquatch wrote:One of my pet peeves is when guys take girls out and have them shoot semi auto pistols without any training. There are a lot of "funny" videos on youtube with women (and some men) having pistols and even rifles rear back and either sweep their face or bystanders. Why do people think this is funny? Like any sport or hobby, its accidents like this that bring a bad light onto the activity.

I recently had a conversation with a CHL instructor and I'm amazed at how many dangerous situations he had to deal with on the range. We tend to make the presumtion that CHL'rs are responsible gun owners, but I wonder if this 4 hour class is bringing on another breed of CHL holder.

OK, I know that's 2 rants in one, but you get my point.
I was shooting at Bullet Trap and there was this "kid" in the next lane with his girlfriend and girlfriend's mother showing them how safe and fun it is to shoot, with a .44 Desert Eagle.

Mom fired a couple of rounds and they never even touched the paper, and she drifted over to watch me while he demonstrated that he could hit the paper four or five times out of a full magazine. While he tried to get girlfriend to even try the monster, mom asked me how it was that I was putting all of my shots so close together. I pointed out that I was using a .22LR and that there was hardly any recoil (and the red dot sight) and pretty soon mom was shooting some pretty tight groups in my lane while the kid whaled away over next door and accomplished little more than scaring the girlfriend.

If I had been 20 years younger, and unmarried, mom . . . well, she was a nice young chick anyway, about my daughter's age.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

jimlongley wrote:
If I had been 20 years younger, and unmarried, mom . . . well, she was a nice young chick anyway, about my daughter's age.
"rlol"
I know. BTDT.

Another old phart.
:evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
jimlongley wrote:
"rlol"
I know. BTDT.

Another old phart.
:evil2:

Dude, go to the museum all you want, just don't play with the artwork... :drool:
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

that's why Barney Fife was only given one round.
Saw a video several years ago where criminal was holding up a hotel desk and its obvious his gun went off unexpected and he fired second shot on recoil and hit himself in head.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

kjolly wrote:that's why Barney Fife was only given one round.
Saw a video several years ago where criminal was holding up a hotel desk and its obvious his gun went off unexpected and he fired second shot on recoil and hit himself in head.
I posted that back on the first page.

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 57#p867253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Whoa!!! I think I am in love with her! :tiphat:

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

NavAir wrote:

Looks like reduced loads to me. No way the recoil of a .500 standard load is that low. Plus, the report is awfully quiet...
and then....I read further and you ruined it for me. :grumble

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:There was a robber that managed it with a snubbie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQj5GYDxzU
Darwin is alive and well.
Um, I am pretty sure that he is dead. :biggrinjester:
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

HoosierTexan

Post by HoosierTexan »

george wrote:If I am shooting a gun that I haved worked on, or anytime I am allowing a new shooter to shoot my gun, it is ALWAYS loaded with just one round.
Especially if it's a Semi-Auto.

(First Post on here)

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

jimlongley wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:This is really tragic, but . . .

A .500 S&W is a revolver --- she fires first round and the recoil both raises her arms and quite probably rotates her wrists also. I have two problems with this explanation. First, the .500 S&W has a long barrel and I can't see it pointing at her head at maximum recoil; it should be over her head. More importantly, I would be more than a little surprised to see her pull a double action trigger the 2nd time while the gun was in recoil or the upper-most recoil position.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it'd take a lot, I mean a lot, of evidence for me to be convinced.

Chas.
This is another YouTube video of someone firing a .500 S&W a second time while it is in recoil. I think what happened in this and the other video, is that the shooter's finger came off the trigger for long enough for it to reset, and then as the recoil continued, the finger got back on the trigger, which is light enough to be pulled in DA, and fired the gun again.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I fired a friends some years ago, and can say that I did not allow it to get away from me on recoil, but after firing five rounds I was surprised to note that there ws blood coming out of the meat of my thumb. No cut, abrasion or other obvious injury, just blood coming out of my skin.
I saw this and had intended to post it. IMO it demonstrates how it would be possible.

My grandson wanted to go to the range one time when they were visiting. He shot my .45 and liked it. His wife had never fired a gun before and wanted to try it. She is very petite and I tried to tell her about the recoil. She insisted so I put one round in it and showed her how to fire it.

She fired it and managed to hang on to it. Her eyes filled with tears and she handed it to my Grandson. To my surprise, before we left the range, she loved shooting it. :hurry:
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Return to “Never Again!!”