"I can't believe you just shot me"

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 1

"I can't believe you just shot me"

Post by philip964 »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/1 ... 74590.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posted today on facebook by an anti. New Huffington post series on gun violence.

No mention if the parents were charged in the murder of the boy.

Topbuilder

Re: "I can't believe you just shot me"

Post by Topbuilder »

Can't read huffpo, makes my eyes bleed. "gun violence"? Two boys playing with a loaded gun in front of adults!!!
As usual, stupidity, AD, shooting in self defence and sucides are always rolled into "gun violence" numbers.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

As such, gun-related injuries accounted for 6,570 deaths of children and young people (ages 1 to 24) in 2010, according to the New England Journal of Medicine. When considering death by gun violence in the broader spectrum, NEJM cites, "Gun injuries cause twice as many deaths as cancer, five times as many as heart disease, and 15 times as many as infections."
I thought about 600,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year. Are these people incapable of performing basic math? :???:
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Fangs wrote:
As such, gun-related injuries accounted for 6,570 deaths of children and young people (ages 1 to 24) in 2010, according to the New England Journal of Medicine. When considering death by gun violence in the broader spectrum, NEJM cites, "Gun injuries cause twice as many deaths as cancer, five times as many as heart disease, and 15 times as many as infections."
I thought about 600,000 people die of heart disease in the United States every year. Are these people incapable of performing basic math? :???:
Apples and oranges.
NRA Endowment Member

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

Fangs wrote:
Do you really think that 600,000 people aged 1-24 die from heart disease? You might be thinking ALL AGE groups.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

The problem is that you'll see a bunch of out of context quotes:
"Gun injuries cause twice as many deaths as cancer, five times as many as heart disease, and 15 times as many as infections."

And they'll be accepted as fact.

Regardless, those statistics are pretty grim for young people.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

What do people always try to relate things that aren't related or compare things that aren't comparable?
NRA Endowment Member

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

WildBill wrote:What do people always try to relate things that aren't related or compare things that aren't comparable?
I think it a valid numerical comparison. Course, everyone is afraid of cancer and we assume that there are a lot of deaths, so it's also probably designed to be a bit "scary".
Regardless, unlike cancer, lots of those deaths could be avoided.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

cb1000rider wrote:
WildBill wrote:What do people always try to relate things that aren't related or compare things that aren't comparable?
I think it a valid numerical comparison. Course, everyone is afraid of cancer and we assume that there are a lot of deaths, so it's also probably designed to be a bit "scary".
Regardless, unlike cancer, lots of those deaths could be avoided.
It depends on the purpose of the comparison. I think you are correct that numbers are trying to be used to scare people.

Cancer is a disease, while car accidents and gunshot wounds are not. Human behavior that avoids contracting cancer are totally different than the behavior that avoids get in a car accident or getting shot.
Last edited by WildBill on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Topbuilder wrote:Can't read huffpo, makes my eyes bleed. "gun violence"? Two boys playing with a loaded gun in front of adults!!!
As usual, stupidity, AD, shooting in self defence and sucides are always rolled into "gun violence" numbers.
:iagree:
I only read the first page & thought the same thing. None of the highlight quotes had anything to do with violence, they were all accidents. No mention of actual violent events - weekly death toll in gun-free Chicago by thugs against other thugs, other thugs attempting to prey on the honest & hard working people who actually contribute to our society, etc.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dragonfighter »

LAYGO wrote:
Do you really think that 600,000 people aged 1-24 die from heart disease? You might be thinking ALL AGE groups.
Okay, MVA's then.
2008 = 37,261 fatalities national.
Age 0-20 years = 6130
Age 21-34 = 10,319 (Linear average = approx 794 per age)
Ages 21-24 = 4 years x average 794 (rounded) = 3,176 Averaged Total ages 21-24
Calculated Total Ages 0-24 = 9,306 Total Fatalities Ages 0 - 24 (rounded and averaged).

Source

FWIW, 12,497 involved BAC .08+. So maybe call those apples the ND, Murder, Suicide to the gun related oranges?
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Dragonfighter wrote:
FWIW, 12,497 involved BAC .08+. So maybe call those apples the ND, Murder, Suicide to the gun related oranges?

Maybe alcohol should be illegal... Wait a second, didn't we try that?

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dragonfighter »

cb1000rider wrote:
Dragonfighter wrote:

Maybe alcohol should be illegal... Wait a second, didn't we try that?
I think you saw my point. :tiphat:
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

How about this statistic then? There are somewhere between 250 and 300 MILLION firearms in the USA. Some odd tens of thousands of them are used in crimes, of which murders are but a subset. Make that number really big by rounding it up to 100K firearms and use the smaller of the two estimates of firearms in private hands, 250 million. A quick bit of math shows that only .04% of firearms in this nation are used in crimes...meaning that 99.96% are NOT used in crimes. That is a pretty stark contrast, but antis like those at HuffPo won't look at numbers such as those.

HankB

Post by HankB »

. . . gun-related injuries accounted for 6,570 deaths of children and young people (ages 1 to 24) in 2010 . . .
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the "young people" aged 18-24 (which includes druggies, gang bangers, dishonorably discharged former soldiers, illegal aliens, etc.) accounted for the preponderance of these "gun-related injuries" and are included with "children" so as to pump up the numbers.

(Would it be improper to inquire as to the ethnic breakdown of those involved?)
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Return to “Never Again!!”