At the car dealership

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
wakeboard
Posts in topic: 7

At the car dealership

Post by wakeboard »

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum.. been watching this for a long time and have finally decided to register. :thumbs2:

So I was at the car dealership a few months ago getting my oil changed. I went inside and was sitting with the advisor and noticed he had a piece of paper on his desk saying "please remove these items from your vehicle before being serviced" and I noticed one of them listed was a firearm, I immediately thought to myself, oh no they are going to find my firearm in the center console and call the police and I will be questioned, so I told my advisor at the dealership( I will not say which one I was at) that I had a firearm in my vehicle, he immediately paged the service tech who took my car to the front, advised him there was a firearm in the vehicle and I went to get my firearm out of my vehicle. I did not have a CHL and it is legal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle, I advised the advisor this information, he said put it on your pocket and bring it into the dealership it won't be a big deal..luckily it was cold day so I was wearing a hoody and could easily hide my full size S&W under my hoody in the holster. We went ahead and got me a rental car. They were all very calm and cool with the situation.

What could have been done better in this situation? I know the possibility of rescheduling and coming back to the dealership at another time without the firearm in my vehicle is an option, but I prefer to not go anywhere without my firearm in my vehicle in the state of Texas. Also, the dealership is about 45-50 minutes from my house which makes quite a drive. I did apply for my CHL ,so hopefully next oil change I will have a CHL and not have to worry about this.

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Re: At the car dealership

Post by jmra »

Welcome to the forum. A couple of things you could do. You could get one of the small safes that you put under the seat and secure with a cable or you could lock it in the glove box and give them the valet key.
In a case where you are getting a rental car I would just tell them there are some things you will need to move from your car to the rental car and have them leave your car out until the rental gets there.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
wakeboard

Post by wakeboard »

jmra wrote:Welcome to the forum. A couple of things you could do. You could get one of the small safes that you put under the seat and secure with a cable or you could lock it in the glove box and give them the valet key.
In a case where you are getting a rental car I would just tell them there are some things you will need to move from your car to the rental car and have them leave your car out until the rental gets there.
Sadly the car I drive does not have a glove box that locks...

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

This is not a poke at you, but I'll state the obvious solution........get your CHL, and the problem goes away. Welcome to the forum.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:This is not a poke at you, but I'll state the obvious solution........get your CHL, and the problem goes away. Welcome to the forum.
As usual, TAM beat me to it. Beyond that, don't leave your 'piece' in any vehicle anytime that's out of your control....unless you don't like it and it's heavily insured. :roll:

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

The Annoyed Man wrote:This is not a poke at you, but I'll state the obvious solution........get your CHL, and the problem goes away. Welcome to the forum.
yep and when you put it in your pocket without a chl...you were guilty as sin and that would have prevented you from getting one in the future if the law enforcer showed up.
the service guy could have been a gun hating peeeebody and called johny law right after you put it in your pocket...."o h my we area at xyz dealership and a customer is hiding a gun........

i have a small safe to for those times when it has to stay locked up....
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

HKMike

Post by HKMike »

Two really good suggestions stated above.
1. Get you're CHL if possible.
2. A lock box in the car provides at least an attempt to secure your weapon when not under your direct control.
I car carried at times when traveling before I got my CHL, but would sometimes feel uneasy. I get how you feel. Once you get the CHL, you will eliminate some issues. As TAM said earlier, "the problem goes away".

Topic author
wakeboard

Post by wakeboard »

powerboatr wrote:
yep and when you put it in your pocket without a chl...you were guilty as sin and that would have prevented you from getting one in the future if the law enforcer showed up.
the service guy could have been a gun hating peeeebody and called johny law right after you put it in your pocket...."o h my we area at xyz dealership and a customer is hiding a gun........

i have a small safe to for those times when it has to stay locked up....
This is what I was thinking, but I had no other option or at least I thought so at the moment when he said it needs to be removed and was OK to bring inside while I wait for my loaner.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

powerboatr wrote:
yep and when you put it in your pocket without a chl...you were guilty as sin
Was he? A manager of a business on private property had just given Wakeboard (temporary) permission to carry on property that was under the manager's control. I don't know how the law treats this situation.

Welcome to the forum, Wakeboard! The Annoyed Man gives good advice, BTW.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Dave2 wrote:
powerboatr wrote:
yep and when you put it in your pocket without a chl...you were guilty as sin
Was he? A manager of a business on private property had just given Wakeboard (temporary) permission to carry on property that was under the manager's control. I don't know how the law treats this situation.

Good point.
How does someone without a CHL declare a handgun in their checked baggage at an airport without violating the law? I don't recall a CHL being a requirement to transport a handgun in such a manner.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Dave2 wrote: Was he? A manager of a business on private property had just given Wakeboard (temporary) permission to carry on property that was under the manager's control. I don't know how the law treats this situation.

A person cannot give another permission to carry a loaded firearm on another's property if the person does not have a CHL or is not engaged in a sporting activity.

However, in this case where you are having to transfer the firearm from one vehicle to another, without a CHL your best bet is to either not have the loaded firearm in the car, or to unload it and put it in a locked box that can be transferred between vehicles without being conspicuous that it is a firearm.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

PhillRoath

Post by PhillRoath »

wakeboard wrote:... I did apply for my CHL ,so hopefully next oil change I will have a CHL and not have to worry about this.
What am I missing? Several posters told the OP to get a CHL, but the very last sentence of the posting said they had already applied for a CHL. Doesn't look like the OP added that later. Just saying...

:tiphat:

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

This is a good use for a Safepacker Image
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

jmra

Post by jmra »

PhillRoath wrote:
wakeboard wrote:... I did apply for my CHL ,so hopefully next oil change I will have a CHL and not have to worry about this.
What am I missing? Several posters told the OP to get a CHL, but the very last sentence of the posting said they had already applied for a CHL. Doesn't look like the OP added that later. Just saying...

You are correct. It was part of his original post.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

PhillRoath wrote:

Yes, he did. And I said "........get your CHL, and the problem goes away." Perhaps I should have said "......when you get your CHL, the problem goes away." I also said "This is not a poke at you, but I'll state the obvious solution........"

Just saying....

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “Never Again!!”