Paying for Parking

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
HoosierTexan
Posts in topic: 5

Paying for Parking

Post by HoosierTexan »

I was in Downtown Dallas last-night with my girlfriend and two other friends. We were near the Dallas World Aquarium, but I don't know the downtown area very well.

We were paying for parking and while the two girls had their faces into the electronic parking box thing where you pay for your stall, I was standing back and noticed a stocky male about 6 feet tall(220-230 pounds) had walked up behind us and did not get out of a vehicle(first alarm bell...why is he here if he didn't park a vehicle). He didn't look like a bum so I subconsciously ruled out panhandling.

I immediately engaged him verbally in a somewhat loud but friendly "Hey, how are you doing?" When he kinda nodded at me and didn't instantly respond, I went back(20 feet away) to unlock my car and glove-box where my gun was and that made him very nervous. I didn't even pull it out of the glove box, but I wanted to unlock the glove box and leave my door open so I could draw it within a few seconds if I needed to.

He then kept repeating that we didn't have anything to worry about him and he was simply checking to see if this parking lot offered a 24 hour rate that was cheaper than the Hotel he was staying at. I was able to verbally diffuse the situation while my g/f was paying for parking and her friends were standing by while I was standing next to my car with the door open and the glove box open. My eyes were glued on his midsection where I could see his hands and gauge his physical intentions which is something I learned in basketball at a very young age. I had made up in my mind that with his first step of any aggressive movement toward any of my friends that he was going to get shot.

While I might never know what his intentions were, I am glad for my girlfriend and her friends safety that no one was injured.

I felt that on a scale of 1-10 I would have graded myself an 7.5-8/10 on handling that situation, but the other two people who were there did not know that I carry a gun almost everywhere I go. I do not tell some of my acquaintances in those situations because I don't want them to be alarmed or even develop a false sense of security just because someone in their party is carrying a gun.

If you guys go out on double dates downtown, would you tell the other couple that you're carrying just to notify them? Maybe you guys hang out in circles were everyone is carrying anyways...? Do chime in..

If I could have done it over, I would have liked to have ordered my g/f away from the meter in a non alarming way as to not escalate the situation. She knows that I carry every day and knew exactly what I was doing and said she wanted to carry on so the guy wouldn't get more upset. She was within a 6 foot distance of the man.

I guess the lesson learned here is try to be aware of your surroundings and be proactive in engaging the situation before anything gets out of hand.

Topic author
HoosierTexan

Re: Paying for Parking

Post by HoosierTexan »

I probably left out some details, but this situation ended with him becoming scared/frustrated and walking away.

It's hard to tell if they're nervous because they are about to rob you or if it's because they know you have a gun.

SATX-Scrub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SATX-Scrub »

Can I ask why it was in the glove box and not on your hip?

Otherwise, way to have a keen eye out for yourself and your friends (or anyone else for that matter).
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

Topic author
HoosierTexan

Post by HoosierTexan »

51% law. Her friends wanted to go to a bar and not a restaurant/bar.

After the incident, I suggest that we drive her friends to their car in Ft Worth(as opposed to them taking the dart home), so we finished the night at a restaurant/bar where I carried IWB in Fort Worth and they drove home afterwards.

I really don't like that law FWIW.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

:iagree:
You just can't carry during a casual night on the town with friends because you will likely end up in a 51% establishment at some point. It's real awkward when no one else in your group carries, and they don't know that you do.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

So what's the rest of the story? Did the guy look at the parking rates then walk back to a hotel? Or did he meander into a shady alley?
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Good job in keeping tabs on what was happening around you. The only thing I would have done different (as I understand the presented situation) is I wouldn't have left my wife or friends within easy reach of the guy. I would have had everybody go back to the car with me.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Topic author
HoosierTexan

Post by HoosierTexan »

TexasCajun wrote:Good job in keeping tabs on what was happening around you. The only thing I would have done different (as I understand the presented situation) is I wouldn't have left my wife or friends within easy reach of the guy. I would have had everybody go back to the car with me.
Yes. I agree. I realize that I screwed up there. We talked about that in the car ride home and I told her that she shouldn't worry about escalating the situation because at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that you make it home safely, and I was carrying a weapon that would have been the end all should he tried to attack her or her friends. I am pretty sure that I would have been able to get off a shot, but I don't think that's a risk I'm willing to take should this happen again.
MasterOfNone wrote:So what's the rest of the story? Did the guy look at the parking rates then walk back to a hotel? Or did he meander into a shady alley?
Holy crap! Were you there? lol. Yeah. After he and I went back and forth about whether or not we need to worry about him or be scared, he backed off and disappeared into the alley. There isn't much scary about my appearance as I'm 6'5 220 pounds, so I know it wasn't my presence or how I carry myself, but I think he knew what I was doing when I went back to my car and didn't wanna press his luck.

My lesson learned is that unless my girlfriend specifically states that she wants to going dancing, then I am going to make it clear that we are going to a non 51% establishment where we can sit down and have dinner as well. (while carrying concealed)

nyj

Post by nyj »

Oh my god, you almost got killed!!!!

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

What a relief it turned out the way it did! Great job!!

I was quite worried about the ladies that were left with him so close! I think possibly you were trying to rationalize his behavior with what your instincts were telling you and hindsight, it would have been better to call the girls over and safely away from him. Although, he could have grabbed one and used her as a hostage. I wonder at what the girls were thinking? Did they feel any tension as you were carrying on the conversation with this guy? Did they feel an urge to go to the car, or were they keeping in a group so as not to leave one alone at the machine?

Here's my take/suggestion: Since you are a security minded person, I would think it falls to you to be responsible for your party as you were. :thumbs2: Before going out, do not reveal you carry. Keep that to yourself, but do introduce some simple awareness tips to the ladies and a code word. If they or you say that word, it means to leave/danger. I have one with my kids. I'm not saying they are kids, it's just that in such a relaxed environment with a group of friends, our awareness goes down, especially if alcohol is involved. But that word is serious and means business without explanation. It should trigger the right response in them. Just my humble opinion. ;-)
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Topic author
HoosierTexan

Post by HoosierTexan »

Thanks CHL! I'll probably implement some type of safe word for those situations. I just need to figure out how to explain that situation without letting people know that I carry.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

You got home safely and that really all that matters. Learn from this and do even better next time.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

tomdavis

Post by tomdavis »

You did great as it turned out fine. Everyone will have advice now that we are in the arm-chair quarterbacking mode. Trust your instincts as that is what made it turn out good. I believe instincts are a God given talent and so say thanks and work to grow that talent.
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

You did good. Most people are completely oblivious to the world around them and will assume that nothing bad will happen until it does. Most of my friends know I carry. I had a similar situation to yours a few years ago. The guy kept trying to tell me that he didn't want any trouble. The thing is, most people wouldn't start a conversation off that way. So there's a good chance he was "interviewing" ya'll.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

" The guy kept trying to tell me that he didn't want any trouble. The thing is, most people wouldn't start a conversation off that way. So there's a good chance he was "interviewing" ya'll."

He didn't want any trouble: Out of you!

Just give him what he demands and don't shoot him is no doubt, his motto.

Return to “Never Again!!”