Dry Firing a loaded gun....not smart

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
magillapd
Posts in topic: 2

Dry Firing a loaded gun....not smart

Post by magillapd »

I decided to share a story from my last trip to the gun range. I dry fired a loaded gun and just like it's designed to...it went boom :banghead:

Here's what happened. When I was home preparing to go, I packed up my range bag with the guns I was going to be shooting as well as the ammo and mags. I took my EDC G19 out of my IWB holster, dropped the mag and unloaded the chambered gold dot. I checked to make sure it was clear, and dry fired it. No problem. Then, I made made my first mistake. I put the loaded mag back into the gun thinking to myself I'd just take it out at the range (I always leave that mag loaded so I have it in the gun for the ride home)

When I got to the range and got all set up and pushed the target out to the 21' mark. I decided that I wanted to dry fire a dozen or so times before I started shooting. I pulled G19 out of range bag then racked the slide back to reset the trigger. I pointed the gun down range (thank God that I have this driven into my brain! :rules: ) and pulled the trigger..... :fire :eek6 off went one of my gold dots. Startled the hell out of me....but I instantly knew what just happened :oops:

I dropped mag, and cleared chamber, then took a step back. I tried to go forward with the dry firing but each time I flinched so bad that if I had another round chambered it probably would have skimmed the bottom of the target! Sheesh. I started using the tactical breathing I had just learned about (thanks Dave Grossman) to calm down, then proceeded with my dry firing.

My lesson from this is NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER put a loaded mag into any gun that I'm putting into my range bag. I always have a carry gun on my person when I'm at the range, this time was my G23, so the need to have a gun at the almost ready isn't there. From now on I'll just put the loaded mag into the front zipper part of my bag with the other empty mags.

So there's my story so that others may learn.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

jbarn
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dry Firing a loaded gun....not smart

Post by jbarn »

Another good rule to follow is to always clear the gun each time you handle it.

Very good of you to post here. A reminder for us all.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

jbarn wrote:Another good rule to follow is to always clear the gun each time you handle it.

Very good of you to post here. A reminder for us all.
:iagree: This is my SOP
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

When discussing the 1st Rule (All Guns Are Always Loaded), Jeff Cooper went on to explain. The only exception to Rule One is when we have personally unloaded the gun and verified the chamber is empty with no magazine in the gun. At that point, we are dealing with an unloaded gun.

The moment we put the gun down out of our hands, Rule One applies again and it is a loaded gun. If we pick the gun back up, we need to verify no magazine and clear chamber all over again.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Thanks for the reminder.

All of us make mistakes, even, (drum roll please) me.

Before leaving to shoot my AR today I found myself yanking the charging handle and looking at the chamber, checking it was on safe, etc. while preparing to go to the point my weisenheimer wife asked if my OCD was acting up?

When it comes to gun safety, OCD is a good thing!

(I don't have OCD, except when it comes to gun safety)

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

To add to the "oh no, not me," I have had the rules drilled in to me since I was old enough to recognize what a gun was (and I am almost ready for my Medicare card). Have always been conscious of muzzle direction and particularly when dealing with a semi-auto, will drop the mag and clear the chamber a number of times. However, once I forgot the FINAL step of visually on physically inspecting the chamber to ensure that it REALLY is empty. I was demonstrating how to clear a .22 rifle. Worked the action 3 or 4 times with nothing coming out, pointed at a wall away from all people pulled the trigger. BANG and a .22 hole in the wall. Upon inspection, the rifle had a broken extractor. Luckily the damage was fairly minor and I was able to repair it myself. The only thing really hurt was my ego. Now, I ALWAYS physically look in the chamber and I have procured a "test" sample of a bullet proof vest that is the only thing other than something I actually intend to shoot that the muzzle is pointed at when I pull the trigger.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

rwilso

Post by rwilso »

magillapd wrote:
I decided that I wanted to dry fire a dozen or so times before I started shooting. .

I understand dry fire practice at home but why at the range?
NRA member

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Yep happened to me once or twice at the range with it pointed down range. Makes you a believer that the gun is always loaded.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

AF-Odin wrote:To add to the "oh no, not me," I have had the rules drilled in to me since I was old enough to recognize what a gun was (and I am almost ready for my Medicare card). Have always been conscious of muzzle direction and particularly when dealing with a semi-auto, will drop the mag and clear the chamber a number of times. However, once I forgot the FINAL step of visually on physically inspecting the chamber to ensure that it REALLY is empty. I was demonstrating how to clear a .22 rifle. Worked the action 3 or 4 times with nothing coming out, pointed at a wall away from all people pulled the trigger. BANG and a .22 hole in the wall. Upon inspection, the rifle had a broken extractor. Luckily the damage was fairly minor and I was able to repair it myself. The only thing really hurt was my ego. Now, I ALWAYS physically look in the chamber and I have procured a "test" sample of a bullet proof vest that is the only thing other than something I actually intend to shoot that the muzzle is pointed at when I pull the trigger.
I don't even trust my eyes because low lighting and dark brass can still conceal a chambered cartridge. I lock the action open and stick my finger in the chamber after visual clearance just to be sure.

I haven't found any loaded rounds with that last step yet, but it's something I do just to make sure I don't put any holes where they don't belong.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

It happened to me with a bolt action .243 when I was about 12. Dad had always taught us to remove the live rounds, close the bolt, and listen for the audible "click" signalling an empty chamber, with the barrel pointed skyward. This was usually done prior to getting in the jeep. Well, one evening it turns out there was one more round in the .243 than I expected (translated... I was not paying attention to the process of emptying the magazine). An audible BOOM! signalled a loaded chamber. Fortunately that barrel was pointed skyward -- but that bullet still came down somewhere in rural Blanco County. Never again.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

rwilso wrote:
magillapd wrote:
I decided that I wanted to dry fire a dozen or so times before I started shooting. .

I understand dry fire practice at home but why at the range?

I do this at the range. It's good "recent" training to not flinch. Especially if it's been a while since I last visited the range.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RogueUSMC »

Abraham wrote:Thanks for the reminder.

All of us make mistakes, even, (drum roll please) me.

Before leaving to shoot my AR today I found myself yanking the charging handle and looking at the chamber, checking it was on safe, etc. while preparing to go to the point my weisenheimer wife asked if my OCD was acting up?

When it comes to gun safety, OCD is a good thing!

(I don't have OCD, except when it comes to gun safety)
I have CDO...it's kinda like OCD, 'cept in alphabetical order the way it's supposed to be...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

I don't even trust my eyes because low lighting and dark brass can still conceal a chambered cartridge. I lock the action open and stick my finger in the chamber after visual clearance just to be sure.
This is excellent standard operating proceedures. I have seen recently first hand how lacquered rounds (i.e., Wolf ammo and other Russian brands) can "stick" in the chamber even after pulling the slide back.

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

The Marshal

Post by The Marshal »

At the Range, I took the .22 pistol from the Precious Wife, and thinking it was empty, pointed it at the berm (away from us) and pulled the trigger.
It wasn't.
Wow, did I feel stupid. Never Count Shots and think you are correct.

OCD is now a good thing.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

The only time I ever count shots is manual feeding a single rounds in to my .22

Return to “Never Again!!”