Traded for a murder weapon

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Traded for a murder weapon

Post by Oldgringo »

Hmmm, it kinda' sounds like our un-registered guns are uh,...er,...registered, or is just me? :headscratch

jbarn
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jbarn »

Oldgringo wrote:Hmmm, it kinda' sounds like our un-registered guns are uh,...er,...registered, or is just me? :headscratch
When you buy from a Pawn Shop they keep the 4473 just like a dealer. When they buy guns they also report the serials to the PD. The PD runs the serial numbers and if the gun comes back stolen then the police can obtain the seller's name from the Pawn Shop. They can also trace forward from there just like they could with an FFL.

So gun comes back stolen. PD requests sellers info from Pawn Shop to trace back the stolen gun. PD also, in an attempt to locate stolen gun, obtains buyers info from Pawn Shop. PD contacts buyer. If buyer has info on who he sold it to he can provide to PD. If not, then the trace ends.

Pawn Shops have to keep data. Private buyers and sellers do not. If they do, a de facto registration is created. ;)
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Frankie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Frankie »

I have a buddy who purchased a .22 rifle from a pawn shop in IL. After the stupid wait time, he went to pick it up and the guy pulled it out of the rack and asked another employee to fetch the case. Guy come back with a ruff looking soft case with red evidence tape all,over the thing. Even has the case numbers and other case info on it.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

jbarn wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Hmmm, it kinda' sounds like our un-registered guns are uh,...er,...registered, or is just me? :headscratch
When you buy from a Pawn Shop they keep the 4473 just like a dealer. When they buy guns they also report the serials to the PD. The PD runs the serial numbers and if the gun comes back stolen then the police can obtain the seller's name from the Pawn Shop. They can also trace forward from there just like they could with an FFL.

So gun comes back stolen. PD requests sellers info from Pawn Shop to trace back the stolen gun. PD also, in an attempt to locate stolen gun, obtains buyers info from Pawn Shop. PD contacts buyer. If buyer has info on who he sold it to he can provide to PD. If not, then the trace ends.

Pawn Shops have to keep data. Private buyers and sellers do not. If they do, a de facto registration is created. ;)
I know all that, how does anyone know which gun killed whom if the gun is not available at the scene for ballistic/fingerprint tests, etc.? Not that I'm planning on killin' anybody...anytime soon.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:
jbarn wrote:

I know all that, how does anyone know which gun killed whom if the gun is not available at the scene for ballistic/fingerprint tests, etc.? Not that I'm planning on killin' anybody...anytime soon.
From my experience they take you into a small room, put you under hot lights, show you the murder weapon, don't give you a cigarette, and question you for hours and hours until you confess to murder. :rules:
NRA Endowment Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

WildBill wrote:From my experience they take you into a small room, put you under hot lights, show you the murder weapon, don't give you a cigarette, and question you for hours and hours until you confess to murder. :rules:
You left out the part about the rubber hose. :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

G23WAX wrote:(even polished the barrel!)
Unfortunately this may be in the thugs favor.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Pawpaw wrote:
WildBill wrote:From my experience they take you into a small room, put you under hot lights, show you the murder weapon, don't give you a cigarette, and question you for hours and hours until you confess to murder. :rules:
That is called "Plan B". :smash:
NRA Endowment Member

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

WildBill wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
That is called "Plan B". :smash:
More like plan "RH" :biggrinjester:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

If the OP had sold the gun already and could not give any information about the buyer (perhaps a gun show sale), does anyone think the police would have tried to get a warrant to search his house using his "refusal to cooperate" as their probable cause?
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

jmra

Post by jmra »

MasterOfNone wrote:If the OP had sold the gun already and could not give any information about the buyer (perhaps a gun show sale), does anyone think the police would have tried to get a warrant to search his house using his "refusal to cooperate" as their probable cause?
Unless the police had cause to suspect that he wasn't being forthcoming I don't see how they could obtain a warrant.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

MasterOfNone wrote:If the OP had sold the gun already and could not give any information about the buyer (perhaps a gun show sale), does anyone think the police would have tried to get a warrant to search his house using his "refusal to cooperate" as their probable cause?
Not what I would expect.

When the topic of selling a firearm comes up and why a receipt is not necessary, I've read of a number of people on firearms forums who received a call from police doing a firearms trace. Their response of "sorry, I sold that gun at a gunshow and do not know who I sold it to" was always the end of discussion. The firearms trace dead ends at that point.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Not what I would expect.

When the topic of selling a firearm comes up and why a receipt is not necessary, I've read of a number of people on firearms forums who received a call from police doing a firearms trace. Their response of "sorry, I sold that gun at a gunshow and do not know who I sold it to" was always the end of discussion. The firearms trace dead ends at that point.
It's good to see that the incidents of which you've heard ended correctly. I guess I have come to expect a leave-no-stone-unturned mentality if there is any chance of finding evidence.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Of course, if the firearm was recovered at someone's mother-in-law murder scene, the old "sold it at a gunshow" story might receive a touch of skepticism. . . :smilelol5: "rlol" :evil2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra

Post by jmra »

Jumping Frog wrote:Of course, if the firearm was recovered at someone's mother-in-law murder scene, the old "sold it at a gunshow" story might receive a touch of skepticism. . . :smilelol5: "rlol" :evil2:
"rlol"
That's when you say you sold it to your father-in-law.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Never Again!!”