My First Time to Call 911

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
nocents
Posts in topic: 4

My First Time to Call 911

Post by nocents »

Last Saturday morning I was eating breakfast about 8:30 a.m. and I heard what sounded like yelling. Well, I live in a real small town (under 600 pop.) and I had the windows up enjoying the cool fresh morning air. People often holler from down the street and have a casual conversation (saves on footsteps and phone bills I guess) so I didn't think too much of it at first. A minute later I heard loud screaming and hollering again. I told my wife and we went out the front door and down toward the sidewalk. As we were about 1/2 way to the sidewalk, a black male with no shirt on and holding a white metal rod in one hand and his stomach with the other hand, came running from accross the street. He never looked at us but ran on down the block and between two houses and into a pasture. I called 911 as he ran by and my wife kept her eye on him until she couldn't see him any longer. The 911 dispatcher, after I told her what was going on, said the Local PD was in route. Sure enough, as I hang up, he drove up to where a big crowd was gathered around two or three more guys (and a woman I think). The fight took place a block east of my house and I could see the crowd but not the actual fight. Later on that morning I had to go to "TOWN" about 12 miles north of where I live. About 1/2 way to my destination I saw two LEO'S on the side of the Highway and they had the man who ran in front Of my house in custody.
I haven't heard anything else since about what actually happened. I was glad that I didn't have to anything but call 911. I was armed and prepared but I never felt threatened. If he would have made a move toward us, I was ready to do what I had to do. Am thankful for being prepared and even more thankful nothing more happened. I said an extra prayer of thanks as I finished my saturday morning breakfast.

Topic author
nocents

Re: My First Time to Call 911

Post by nocents »

I agree, but the yelling was a fair distance and in order to tell where it was coming from I had to go outside. The "fight" was one block over and north of my house. When we saw the guy running it was as we were just out the front door. I did look out the window first but couldn't see anything, so you know, I just had to look. The guy who ended up in jail didn't live in this town. In fact, a group of three that were involved don't live here. Some sort of "girlfriend/drugfriend" dispute. Very rare in this town. But times are changing.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

"I just had to look."

Well, ok then...

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Abraham wrote:"I just had to look."

Well, ok then...
Ayup!

You guys should move to the big city. Obviously much safer there. :biggrinjester:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
nocents

Post by nocents »

Well, ok then...
I'm my Daddy's son.....it's in the genes...lol

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Well, ok then...
lol...sounds like me...

Back before I started carrying, I was sitting in the house when I heard gunshots outside. They sounded like .22 gunshots...one shot, then two more a few seconds later...then two more about five seconds later. I got up and went to open the door and look out front when my wife asks me what the noise was. I told her I thought they sounded like gunshots. She asks where I was going and I told her I was gonna see who was shooting at what. She got all scared and said I was nuts...lol.

I got outside and I saw my nextdoor neighbor and the neighbor across the street in his flowerbed...then a couple more gunshots. Larry was on his knees next to the house and Dave was standing behind him.

Turns out, Dave spotted the armadillo that had been tearing our yards up taking a stroll down the middle of the street. Larry grabbed a little .22 pistol and started shooting...lol. The armadillo ended up burrowing down next to the house.

Pictured this if you will...by the time I got walked over there, the armadillo was trying to dig further into his hole but Larry was on his knees and had hold of the armadillo's tail. With a firm grip on the tail with his left hand, he was firing the pistol with his right hand directly into the rectal area of this armadillo. The pistol would jam or misfire every two or three rounds...lol...he'd hand the pistol to us over his shoulder, and we'd clear it, reload and hand it back to him. That armadillo soaked up about 15 rounds...lol.

After that, we couldn't get the armadillo out of the hole. When Dave asked what he should do, we told him to just throw the dirt back in on top of the armadillo and forget about it...lol.

Would I go out and see what all the shooting is about now? Prolly...if it soulds like a .22...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
nocents

Post by nocents »

Small town and country livin' is way better than anything you can get on T.V. and a whole lot cheaper!

asbandr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by asbandr »

My husban and I have had to call the cops a few times. We had a neighbor that was drunk and yelling obscenities at us through the windows. My husband has had to confront him twice in the decade we've lived here. This neighbor is part of the reason I got my chl. Just to see how quickly he changed. One day he liked us and the next he hated us.
We had another situation soon after we moved in where we heard screaming in the middle of the night and my husband went outside (I know, big no no) and a woman was screaming that so and so hit her.
The only other times we've called 911 are for medical scares for me.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

asbandr wrote:My husban and I have had to call the cops a few times. We had a neighbor that was drunk and yelling obscenities at us through the windows. My husband has had to confront him twice in the decade we've lived here. This neighbor is part of the reason I got my chl. Just to see how quickly he changed. One day he liked us and the next he hated us.
We had another situation soon after we moved in where we heard screaming in the middle of the night and my husband went outside (I know, big no no) and a woman was screaming that so and so hit her.
The only other times we've called 911 are for medical scares for me.

I hit the door because of a woman's screams in 74 or 75. We lived in apartments and had new neighbors next door.

Nothing happened. After I listened some more it was determined that the woman was a screamer when she was enjoying what was happening.

:evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

asbandr
Posts in topic: 2

Post by asbandr »

Haha! Thanks for making bust out laughing in a crowded restaurant!!!
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

I used to work nights as a security patrolman. One morning I woke up to the windows rattling and looked out of the bedroom window which overlooked a creek and saw a (police) helicopter hovering just over the treetops. I thought to myself, "Cool! I guess I'll go outside and take a look. As I hit the bottom of the stairs a guy came tearing around the corner of the building and was promptly tackled by a cop. This cop then shot me a "what the heck do you want?" look. I excused myself and went back inside.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

jmra

Post by jmra »

Dragonfighter wrote:I used to work nights as a security patrolman. One morning I woke up to the windows rattling and looked out of the bedroom window which overlooked a creek and saw a (police) helicopter hovering just over the treetops. I thought to myself, "Cool! I guess I'll go outside and take a look. As I hit the bottom of the stairs a guy came tearing around the corner of the building and was promptly tackled by a cop. This cop then shot me a "what the heck do you want?" look. I excused myself and went back inside.
He was probably checking to see if you were recording. :mrgreen:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I actually just had to call 911 the first time yesterday morning. Was picking up the pup from the vet's and was about to pull out onto 1960fm from this little side road. Looked left to check for clear, it was, begin to look right...then I heard the crunch. Followed by a screech and the sight of a red suv sliding across the intersection on it's roof. I've been in a few accidents, and seen a few fender benders but that was the first true crash I witnessed happen right in front of me. I pulled the phone from my pocket and dialed 911 while backing back up into the vet's parking lot. Luckily, the suv driver was the only one injured, but from my view she looked only mildly injured.

I was shaking for a few hours after that.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

I didn't realize my life was so exciting... I've lost count of how many times I've called 911. Though, all but one of them were traffic-related (usually people I'm pretty sure are driving drunk), so maybe that's less "impressive" than it sounds.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “Never Again!!”