So I'm in the waiting room at Parkland hospital

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Re: So I'm in the waiting room at Parkland hospital

Post by WildBill »

surferdaddy wrote:A battery of mental tests may be in his future, I'd sure like to see his foggy-ness slow and prove to be merely a symptom of advanced age. I'd sure hate to see the state strip him of his rights; at the same time, we are getting a bit concerned.
I wish you the best.
Last edited by WildBill on Sun May 04, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

baron
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by baron »

Wodathunkit wrote:Are you saying if takes less mental capacity to operate a wheel gun? :biggrinjester:
That's why there were two categories of CHL until recently.
Last edited by baron on Sun May 04, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wodathunkit
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Wodathunkit »

baron wrote:
Wodathunkit wrote:Are you saying if takes less mental capacity to operate a wheel gun? :biggrinjester:
Why else were there two categories of CHL until recently? :mrgreen:
Touché "rlol"
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

SewTexas wrote:I'm not sure how you can do this....but at BAMC, in San Antonio, there is the Nuero-psychology department, there, they will do what they call "memory tests". Now, what you are looking for, really is two tests, one this year and one in one year, that will give you the amount of...."degeneration", for lack of a better word. But the test this year would give you a decent result because they would compare it to other 80 year old men.

Now, that is BAMC, what your wife needs to do, since she's his daughter, is to talk to his doc and see if he can refer her dad out to someone to do such a test....to at least get a baseline dementia test. Then you will have something to talk with him about. He's not going to talk to you about anything, if he's anything like my father-in-law was, without some type of test results. Also, if there is some dementia, you will want to be able to sit with him and write out a plan, ASAP!!!! please!!!! ask me how I know....I dare you...
:iagree: One other thing I suggest is that if your FIL doesn't have a DL, passport or other photo ID, get one ASAP. As time goes on it may be more difficult to get his consent and cooperation.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 18

Post by surferdaddy »

Thank you all for the suggestions and information. I don't want it to seem like my FIL is babbling or anything of that nature. He is an incredibly intelligent man and talking with him in a normal relaxed setting you wouldn't perceive anything the contrary. He simply has moments which he refers to as his "senior moments." He did not grow up in a "gun culture," I did, and his transgressions regarding gun safety are very aparent to me.

I couldn't agree more that an individual who poses an imminent danger to himself or others should not be handling firearms. I do, however, see the potential to restrict ones rights in this matter; perhaps in a politically motivated way. I would have to be absolutely sure that he were mentally incompetent before I would entertain carteling his life in any way. This incident has expectedly sounded alarms and I will be paying much more attention. If I begin to suspect that he is progressing to a more dangerous state I will indeed suggest medical intervention. I know that medical attention can help mitigate certain age related symptoms and I definitely want him to have access to this care.

Sensitive subject for sure but one in which inattention could complicate with possibly dire consequences.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

surferdaddy wrote:Thank you all for the suggestions and information. I don't want it to seem like my FIL is babbling or anything of that nature. He is an incredibly intelligent man and talking with him in a normal relaxed setting you wouldn't perceive anything the contrary. He simply has moments which he refers to as his "senior moments." He did not grow up in a "gun culture," I did, and his transgressions regarding gun safety are very aparent to me.

I couldn't agree more that an individual who poses an imminent danger to himself or others should not be handling firearms. I do, however, see the potential to restrict ones rights in this matter; perhaps in a politically motivated way. I would have to be absolutely sure that he were mentally incompetent before I would entertain carteling his life in any way. This incident has expectedly sounded alarms and I will be paying much more attention. If I begin to suspect that he is progressing to a more dangerous state I will indeed suggest medical intervention. I know that medical attention can help mitigate certain age related symptoms and I definitely want him to have access to this care.

Sensitive subject for sure but one in which inattention could complicate with possibly dire consequences.

Surfer
I know that you are trying to do the right thing and wish you the best.
Last edited by WildBill on Sun May 04, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I think you have somehow misinterpreted what I was trying to say; I DONT want any intervention, UNLESS I feel it is necessary, which at this time, I do not. It is my hope that this need never arises, however, I don't want to be neglectful and in denial if he could at some future point be helped.

At this time, I simply don't want another firearm related "senior moment" to occur; however, the man is independent and what I deem ALMOST completely competent. He can at this point make his own judgement calls about firearms, driving, etc.. I simply believe that given his somewhat lackadaisical firearm handling skills and this recent event, he really shouldn't be carrying inside our home and I will be glad to secure his firearm in my safe whenever he is here, approx every week.

I honestly am having trouble keeping my wife and BIL from going bloomberg on him. There is no way my wife will ever allow him to carry in our home again.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

jmra

Post by jmra »

surferdaddy wrote:I think you have somehow misinterpreted what I was trying to say; I DONT want any intervention, UNLESS I feel it is necessary, which at this time, I do not. It is my hope that this need never arises, however, I don't want to be neglectful and in denial if he could at some future point be helped.

At this time, I simply don't want another firearm related "senior moment" to occur; however, the man is independent and what I deem ALMOST completely competent. He can at this point make his own judgement calls about firearms, driving, etc.. I simply believe that given his somewhat lackadaisical firearm handling skills and this recent event, he really shouldn't be carrying inside our home and I will be glad to secure his firearm in my safe whenever he is here, approx every week.

I honestly am having trouble keeping my wife and BIL from going bloomberg on him. There is no way my wife will ever allow him to carry in our home again.

Surfer
I'm a little confused. It's not ok for him to be armed around your kids but it's ok for him to be armed around mine?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Not what I'm trying to say either. My home is the only place in which we have any real say, and, my wife will NOT budge on this from what I gather.
CHL/LTC instructor

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

He's a grown man who makes his own decisions. Do I wish he practiced more thorough gun safety, yes I do. I also feel that most individuals I have observed could be a bit more aware if their muzzles and trigger fingers, myself included. I can not and should not tell him he doesn't have the right to utilize a firearm to protect himself. I am only saying that there is not a snowballs chance my wife will allow him to carry in our home after he just shot himself through the hand, an I'm not too sure I disagree with her. Family out and about with Papa, he decides and his firearm will be safely holstered according to the law, this is not our rule it is simply the law. A holstered gun is a safe gun.

Did I mention this is a sensitive subject?

Man it sucks, wish I could have prevented it somehow. I am an NRA pistol and home firearm safety instructor for goodness sakes. I've tried to address his lack of gun safety knowledge whenever I've witnessed it, but I probably could have done more and been more adamant. It is sometimes hard dealing with in laws. I will be more stern in the presence of lack gun safety from now on for sure.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

jmra

Post by jmra »

I guess I'm going to step off the porch a little bit. I hope and pray, no - make that demand, that when I reach the point that my carry or driving poses a threat to myself or others that my kids step in and take appropriate action.
You may claim that your FIL has not reached that point but your actions (not allowing him to carry in your home) say differently.
You claim that your home is the only place you can control. As a family member there is much more your wife can do and IMHO has an obligation to do.
To claim that that he is mentally stable enough to carry in public and then to prevent him from carrying in your home is at the least hypocritical if not negligent.
Again this is MHO.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

rotor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rotor »

What you are interpreting as "fogginess" may be a medical problem and not a mental problem. Cardiac problems, diabetes, vascular problems, medication imbalances can all cause symptoms of "fogginess". I would urge him to seek medical advice and possible treatment. I don't believe any of the current Alzheimer drugs are of any value except to burn a hole in your wallet. If he is mentally deficient ( and it doesn't sound like it to me) then he is really not able to drive or handle firearms or anything else that may endanger someone else or himself. My MIL at 89 just gave her car to my daughter. For some people there is no quitting age. For some it comes early. It is not fair to the public though to put them at risk and I am more concerned with driving than the guns but who knows. Seniors do need to pass that drivers license exam more often than juniors but I have seen many seniors that I would not want to be near on the road. If you can't drive though in Texas it is virtually a death sentence.

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

To be honest to all, I don't yet know what to do. I will have to discuss this matter with the family and hopefully we can come to some consensus as to what action, if any, is necessary. A matter such as this is wrought with many subtle nuances which I am not really able to convey. Such as the fact that I don't feel he is a danger to the public by having his firearm on his person. He is completely aware of chl responsibilities. I am less confident when he actually handles his gun.

I was initially kinda hopeing to get some feedback as to what to do about this complicated subject and I must say thank you all for your input.

To compound the issue, he lives outside McKinney alone on an acre or so; we live in north Fort Worth. My wife and BIL had to go get some of his things for him while he is staying at our house. He seemed reluctant for them to go. It has been a while since any of us were out there. My wife started texting me some pretty disturbing pictures about the conditions he has been living in.

More confused than ever now.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I hope she is just overreacting a bit, she does have a knack for the dramatic.
CHL/LTC instructor

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

surferdaddy wrote:I hope she is just overreacting a bit, she does have a knack for the dramatic.

did she take pictures? what does your BIL say about the conditions? maybe they need to talk with his regular doctor if they know him, if they don't they probably won't be able to because of HIPA.

I am so sorry, this is hard to deal with when you've got some warning, this is a bit of a tornado isn't it?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “Never Again!!”