A cuationary tale, with an ask for help... LONG!

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

asbandr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A cuationary tale, with an ask for help... LONG!

Post by asbandr »

Every story I see on here prompts a what if scenario for me to play in my head. Usually at night when I should be sleeping. Lol. Anyhow, my husband and I haven't stayed in a hotel room since either of us got our chl's (gotta love being poor!) But this story proves that the best bet would be to store the gun in a safe if you don't plan to carry it while sight seeing. A step further would be to store it in your own travel safe/lockbox rather than the hotel room safe that way it's another piece of luggage or at least something that won't missed. And perhaps it's a lesson to not rely on your spouse to do the double checking of the hotel room. please don't hate me for that last comment. But just as you shouldn't you rely on the last handler to safety check a gun before you handle it, you shouldn't rely on someone else to pack it. At least confirm with them. I hope you get it back soon.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

Topic author
el_chupo_
Posts in topic: 9

Post by el_chupo_ »

asbandr wrote:Every story I see on here prompts a what if scenario for me to play in my head. Usually at night when I should be sleeping. Lol. Anyhow, my husband and I haven't stayed in a hotel room since either of us got our chl's (gotta love being poor!) But this story proves that the best bet would be to store the gun in a safe if you don't plan to carry it while sight seeing. A step further would be to store it in your own travel safe/lockbox rather than the hotel room safe that way it's another piece of luggage or at least something that won't missed. And perhaps it's a lesson to not rely on your spouse to do the double checking of the hotel room. please don't hate me for that last comment. But just as you shouldn't you rely on the last handler to safety check a gun before you handle it, you shouldn't rely on someone else to pack it. At least confirm with them. I hope you get it back soon.

No offense taken, its a good point.

I'm feeling more than foolish for having this happen, and posting so that others learn from my monumental screw up.

Another update: Gun released has reached the property room, and I spoke with the Sargent in charge there - she will be emailing me the form needed to get the back ground check going, and they will call me when it is ready to be picked up (I pass the background check). I then drive up, show my photo ID, and head back home. Things are looking up, will only have to take one day off work. :hurry: :anamatedbanana :woohoo

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sugar land dave »

Glad things are working out for you, but having to drive back is a bit much. Would they consider shipping it to an FFL in your area?
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Topic author
el_chupo_

Post by el_chupo_ »

Nope, no chance of shipping to an FFL. Must pick up in person.

I dont mind the drive, under $100 in gas on the bike or the daily driver. And I just look at it as a "stupid tax", so I can deal with that.

Thanks!

Topic author
el_chupo_

Post by el_chupo_ »

Back in my possession. Not a horrible day, all in all. Made it up by 11:30 to get in before lunch, stopped at a couple places on the way home, and made it back in time to grab the wife some flowers and make dinner before she made it home for the evening.

Return to “Never Again!!”