"Extra hot" reloads

So that others may learn.

Moderators: Keith B, Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
jbmac
Junior Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 am

"Extra hot" reloads

Postby jbmac » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:12 pm

At a recent shoot a shooter on my squad experienced a major malfunction.
The barrel link in his Kahr separated from the barrel. Another shooter offered to loan this individual a gun. On the next stage the borrowed gun blew up. The shooter suffered minor but bloody injuries to his weak hand. Fortunately all the shooters were well back and the SO was safely situated behind the shooter. I heard the shooter tell his friend that he was shooting "extra hot" handloads. As a reloader it is a good reminder stay well within maximums and work all new loads up starting with minimum charges.


Rifleman55
Member
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: "Extra hot" reloads

Postby Rifleman55 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:57 pm

I would not want to be on the sane range as that idiot.

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts: 16469
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: "Extra hot" reloads

Postby WildBill » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Rifleman55 wrote:I would not want to be on the sane range as that idiot.

:iagree: Some people don't seem to have any sense. :banghead:
NRA Endowment Member

User avatar

MasterOfNone
Senior Member
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:00 am
Location: Dallas
Contact:

Re: "Extra hot" reloads

Postby MasterOfNone » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:16 pm

I wonder if he had the decency to warn the gun loaner before borrowing his gun.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

User avatar

Selina Kyle
Senior Member
Posts: 309
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:47 pm
Location: Grapevine, TX

Re: "Extra hot" reloads

Postby Selina Kyle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:58 pm

MasterOfNone wrote:I wonder if he had the decency to warn the gun loaner before borrowing his gun.


I'd be livid if I was the owner of the loaner gun!
"His fist is big, but my gun's bigger. He'll find out when I pull the trigger!"
Ruger LCP
NRA Member

User avatar

TexasGal
Senior Member
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:37 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Re: "Extra hot" reloads

Postby TexasGal » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:04 am

Stories like this is what I think of whenever I hear people complaining a range bans the use of reloads. How are they supposed to know who is competent and who isn't? I had a friend who reloaded a lot. He was very good at it but he would not allow anyone to shoot his reloads but himself and he would not put his reloads into anyone else's firearm.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

User avatar

Steamboat
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:41 am
Location: Waxahachie, Texas

Re: "Extra hot" reloads

Postby Steamboat » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:21 am

Many years ago, a friend gave me some .357 reloads to try. He failed to let me no they were "extra hot". Needless to say, he paid to have my revolver repaired. It's been factory loads since! :fire
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

User avatar

Jaguar
Senior Member
Posts: 1331
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:24 pm
Location: Just west of Cool, Texas

Re: "Extra hot" reloads

Postby Jaguar » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:49 am

jbmac wrote:At a recent shoot a shooter on my squad experienced a major malfunction.
The barrel link in his Kahr separated from the barrel. Another shooter offered to loan this individual a gun. On the next stage the borrowed gun blew up. The shooter suffered minor but bloody injuries to his weak hand. Fortunately all the shooters were well back and the SO was safely situated behind the shooter. I heard the shooter tell his friend that he was shooting "extra hot" handloads. As a reloader it is a good reminder stay well within maximums and work all new loads up starting with minimum charges.

The Kahr barrel is CNC machined from a solid billet of high tensile strength steel. Breaking the barrel link is an indicator that something is seriously wrong, I would expect any number of failures before the barrel link separated from the barrel. It that is the beefiest part of the barrel assembly, which makes it the strongest part of the barrel, crazy it would break there.

I had a barrel lug separate from the barrel on a Mossberg shotgun, but that isn't machined from the same hunk of steel the barrel is, it is brazed on during manufacturing. Mossberg sent me a new barrel free of charge for an older, second hand shotgun. :thumbs2:
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison


gthaustex
Senior Member
Posts: 1316
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:38 am

Re: "Extra hot" reloads

Postby gthaustex » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:16 pm

TexasGal wrote:Stories like this is what I think of whenever I hear people complaining a range bans the use of reloads. How are they supposed to know who is competent and who isn't? I had a friend who reloaded a lot. He was very good at it but he would not allow anyone to shoot his reloads but himself and he would not put his reloads into anyone else's firearm.


I'm the same way. I know that I am competent and loading only low to middle of the suggested charge, but even then, I am the only one who shoots my reloads. Friends, family, etc. all shoot factory, store-bought ammo when I take them out....

I am sure it is perfectly safe for them to shoot my reloads, but......

User avatar

jbarn
Senior Member
Posts: 855
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:50 am
Location: South Texas

Re: "Extra hot" reloads

Postby jbarn » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:46 pm

When conducting CHL quals, the majority of those shooting their own reloads experience non firing rounds, squids, etc., for me.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

User avatar

rbwhatever1
Senior Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Paradise Texas

Re: "Extra hot" reloads

Postby rbwhatever1 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:30 am

I stay away from reloads myself. Some people are extremely safe reloading because their normal people with rationale thinking. Some people like the guy above is not.

If one needs to tie his gun to a fencepost and use a long string to test fire his reloads, maybe he should get out of the reload business...
III


Pawpaw40
Junior Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: "Extra hot" reloads

Postby Pawpaw40 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:36 am

My own reloads are about all I shoot. Some of them are pretty hot, although not over published loads. Most are mild practice loads. Never had a squib load, or a kaboom. (knock on wood). I only provide reloads to my kids, to be fired in weapons that were used in the workup of the load. NEVER let others use my reloads. I figure my kids are eventually going to get everything I own anyways.


JP171
Banned
Posts: 1406
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 am
Location: San Leon Texas

Re: "Extra hot" reloads

Postby JP171 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:28 pm

jbarn wrote:When conducting CHL quals, the majority of those shooting their own reloads experience non firing rounds, squids, etc., for me.



UMMMMM JB, that's squiBs for future reference sir :nono:

Squids are US Navy personnel


Return to “Never Again!!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests