Unbelievably stupid gun owner!

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Unbelievably stupid gun owner!

Post by ShootDontTalk »

I agree with TAM here. I would add that the operative phrase is not "is quite wealthy" but "used to be quite wealthy".
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jumping Frog »

gljjt wrote:I agree I wouldn't want to give 33-40% up for a lawsuit, yet. What I would do is pay for an hour of lawyer time to cover what I am entitled to in order to ensure I have the knowledge to make informed decisions. Sorry if that wasn't clear. A couple of hundred spent to know what my rights are and to not lose them due to administrative stuff (timelines, etc.) because I don't know the law, is money well spent
I agree completely.

Also, the plaintiff attorney option remains an option down the road. I just wouldn't start there.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

:banghead: Were they in Ceder Park this past weekend?
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

Steamboat

Post by Steamboat »

They were very fortunate this didn't end with a fatality!
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Oh wow! My first thought would be the guy was on something. How can you own guns and then ask "what was that?" when one fires? What an imbecile! Thank God for the gift of fear that made the victim move or it would have been worse.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

ddurkof

Post by ddurkof »

Delaying getting a good attorney involved is hazardous. What can happen?

The shooter can dispose of the weapon and claim that it was defective. The jury pool hears all the time that "guns just go off" without the weapon being examined by a competent expert, who is to testify otherwise?

Does he have an impairment or disability due to the injury? Future medical? Lost wages?

Being the person who wants to negotiate with the insurance will come out on the short end.

Spend the money and talk to an AV rated Board Certified Personal Injury Attorney. At least he should know his options.

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

In my latest conversation with my brother he told me Charlie is walking again, but needs some skin grafts. He will need additional surgeries for the muscle damage, though he didn't elaborate.
He told me the guy has stepped to the plate and is paying all the bills. The attorney son-in-law is going to draft some sort of document that will hold him accountable for future issues.
What my brother told me next was beyond words. Unbelievably this guy has applied for his FFL. He applied before this happened and the "safe" room was built to meet the requirements for storing firearms. He's just waiting for the application to be finalized or completed or whatever the process is. :banghead:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

he's lucky to be alive and needs to take a lesson from my book, 'being a jerk is sometimes ok.'

all of my friends know i'm a gun guy and are always proud and excited to show off their latest purchases or modifications. i have had to forego niceties a few times and yell, 'STOP RIGHT NOW' when i get muzzle swept. I have no problem telling a friend to stop pointing a weapon in my direction, nor do i take issue with inspecting a weapon myself before we start talking about it or checking it out.

i figure my safety is my own responsibility and i don't want to be polite right up until i hear a POP for the last time.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

puma guy wrote:In my latest conversation with my brother he told me Charlie is walking again, but needs some skin grafts. He will need additional surgeries for the muscle damage, though he didn't elaborate.
He told me the guy has stepped to the plate and is paying all the bills. The attorney son-in-law is going to draft some sort of document that will hold him accountable for future issues.
What my brother told me next was beyond words. Unbelievably this guy has applied for his FFL. He applied before this happened and the "safe" room was built to meet the requirements for storing firearms. He's just waiting for the application to be finalized or completed or whatever the process is. :banghead:
Up until this development, I was firmly in the "sue the pants off of the jerk" camp as his actions up until this point have been to avoid liability. Glad he finally is stepping up to the plate. I'd still consult an attorney to make sure all of the current and future bases are covered. And glad that Charlie's injuries weren't more severe than they were.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

TexasCajun wrote:Up until this development, I was firmly in the "sue the pants off of the jerk" camp as his actions up until this point have been to avoid liability. Glad he finally is stepping up to the plate. I'd still consult an attorney to make sure all of the current and future bases are covered. And glad that Charlie's injuries weren't more severe than they were.
If nothing else, I'd hope his attorney had a little chat with him about how much harder it would be to get out of this cheaply if a criminal complaint for the negligent injury also had to be dealt with.

Return to “Never Again!!”