Knock at the door claiming to be the police

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Knock at the door claiming to be the police

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

There are several LEOs on the forum. Any tips from them on suggesting how we handle this scenario?

jmra

Post by jmra »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:There are several LEOs on the forum. Any tips from them on suggesting how we handle this scenario?
I would also like to hear from LEO on this issue.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

FWIW I'm glad to hear the office had sound tactics.

Not being able to see him or his car makes it much harder to ambush.

Now that I'm in the greater houston LEO community, I see a good deal of pulling up the front of the house.

I always parked a few doors down and approached on foot through the area with the greatest amount cover and concealment.

Only thing I would've done different from the responding LEO is have the dispatcher call inside the home. Once I didn't get an answer.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

tomdavis

Post by tomdavis »

I am glad this post came back up. Now to get the wife to read it.
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

ryanj

Post by ryanj »

Massad Ayoob's advice is how I will answer the door.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch the video.

It should be pretty easy to tell an obvious impostor from a real officer but the forgeries are getting pretty darned good. You should also familiarize yourself with what your local PD uniforms look like. You CAN call 911 and have them verify whether an officer was dispatched to your house as well. It's an understandable safety concern, especially late at night.

ripnbst

Post by ripnbst »

The reason the police park out of sight and walk a bit is because if it is in fact a real robbery in progress that they show up on the scene for they do not want to be seen pulling in by the BG(s). Making your presence known when pulling up gives the BG(s) either A) The upper hand or B) A head start ducking out the back door.

In this same train of thought, dont always assume a cop turning on his lightbar to make it through a traffic signal and then shutting them off right afterwards is just being a jerk either. He may be on his way to a call where arriving with as little notification possible is critical to the life of those who may be involved and his destination is close by.

VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VMI77 »

ripnbst wrote:The reason the police park out of sight and walk a bit is because if it is in fact a real robbery in progress that they show up on the scene for they do not want to be seen pulling in by the BG(s). Making your presence known when pulling up gives the BG(s) either A) The upper hand or B) A head start ducking out the back door.
The problem with that is it also prevents an innocent home owner from readily verifying he's dealing with police and not criminals. This is especially true for those late night SWAT raids. For a robbery in progress it's appropriate and shouldn't add much to any confusion since the person being robbed is likely to be expecting the police.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Pretty sure every department still requires every officer to carry department-issued photo ID. Ask to see it if you can do so without opening the door.

Failing that, just dial 911 and ask if there is an officer responding to a call at your address. Never open the door unless you are sure who is there. If not, tell the dispatcher and wait for another officer to show up.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

ShootDontTalk wrote:Pretty sure every department still requires every officer to carry department-issued photo ID. Ask to see it if you can do so without opening the door.
I don't think that this buys much. In the one time that I got to meet an uninformed officer that was on duty in the last few decades, the "may I see your ID" results in a badge-flash from a 3-foot distance. My eyes were better then, and I'm pretty sure that I can't tell legitimate from-non legitimate... And I'm quite sure you can buy both on the internet.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

cb1000rider wrote:
ShootDontTalk wrote:Pretty sure every department still requires every officer to carry department-issued photo ID. Ask to see it if you can do so without opening the door.
I don't think that this buys much. In the one time that I got to meet an uninformed officer that was on duty in the last few decades, the "may I see your ID" results in a badge-flash from a 3-foot distance. My eyes were better then, and I'm pretty sure that I can't tell legitimate from-non legitimate... And I'm quite sure you can buy both on the internet.
Well then...don't open the door. Dial 911. Simple.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

ShootDontTalk wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:
Well then...don't open the door. Dial 911. Simple.
Ask them for State ID.

Return to “Never Again!!”