So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Wife Being Sized Up for Robbery

Post by Keith B »

TexasGal wrote:
johncanfield wrote:Alert, oriented, and situationally aware, good job Keith. I was raised in Miami, FL and dear wife was raised in a Leave-it-to-Beaver environment in a small West Texas town. I was street smart and she trusted everything and everybody, the training began after we were married ;-) .
Hers or yours? :evil2:
I know my training started BEFORE she married me and has continued for 32 years. :lol::
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johncanfield »

TexasGal wrote:
johncanfield wrote:Alert, oriented, and situationally aware, good job Keith. I was raised in Miami, FL and dear wife was raised in a Leave-it-to-Beaver environment in a small West Texas town. I was street smart and she trusted everything and everybody, the training began after we were married ;-) .
Hers or yours? :evil2:
LOL - I'm still being trained, thank goodness she hasn't given up on me.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CHLLady »

:tiphat: That was awesome, great job! The only way it could have ended better was if a cop rolled and spotted him at the same time.

I also would not have thought to call 911 either, I'm glad they responded well to your alerting them of his prowling behavior.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

bauer

Post by bauer »

Keith B wrote:On Sunday we were on our way back home from vacation. We had stopped in Hope, AR to get fuel and grab a bite of lunch.
We passed through Hope on the way back to Austin on Saturday, have made the trip several times. Whatever reason have always avoided Hope, don't really know why.
Jumping Frog wrote: Another case of a defensive gun use where the gun was never pulled, will never show up in statistics, and yet the predator was quite aware and chose to be elsewhere. :thumbs2:
There has been a time or two, primarily at a gas station, when not carrying :shock:, that I've put a hand at my 5 o'clock while staring someone down. Feel like it has potentially kept things from going further than I was comfortable with. However, the power of persuasion of a hand on a waistline in Texas is powerful.
R.I.P SSG Ward 6 Apr 2013
"Garry Owen"

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Good job Keith. :thumbs2: I read this story to Martha; since the lesson comes from you and not her husband, it won't violate Texas law if she pays attention.

Chas.
"rlol"
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Keith B wrote:
C-dub wrote:Good job Keith.

This is not a criticism or critique. I wouldn't have thought to call 911 either because there was no emergency. I would've thought a call for what you described would have been a waste of time, but it sounds like they appreciated the call.
Actually, IMO it is an emergency. When you have a person out looking to commit a crime, it is critical to let the police know where they are so they can try to prevent a theft, robbery or maybe worse.
:iagree:

The rule of thumb I always taught to citizens was "Better one call too many than one call too few."

Outstanding job, Keith!
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Good job and it always good to be on the lookout on the Road.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

outstanding results via fantastic situational and spatial awareness.

well done, sir.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

"I noticed the fuel cap was NOT on the side of the pump"

Now, THAT'S awareness! :tiphat:
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

RHenriksen wrote:"I noticed the fuel cap was NOT on the side of the pump"

Now, THAT'S awareness! :tiphat:
I myself pull in to the wrong side of the pump periodically. My car has the fuel cap on the passenger side, and my wife's SUV has it on the driver side. But when I pull in I get out do start dealing with getting fuel and quickly realize I need to flip around and address it; I don't sit there locked onto something else and not even look at the pump or show any signs of not doing what I should be doing.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

them

Post by them »

I regularly drive two cars, one left-fill, the other right-fill. Only one of them has the fill side indicator on the gas gauge. I used to regularly forget which side was which until I realized: It doesn't matter. Gas pump hoses are long enough to reach the far side of a car or SUV. I now pull up to whatever pump is open and drag the hose around. Always works and is usually faster.

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Quick tip for quickly verifying which side the fuel tank fill is on (my daily driver is often a different rental car every week due to quite a bit of travel, so this has been very helpful to me), on the fuel gage, look for a fuel pump icon/symbol and then a little pointer, it points to which side the fuel fill is on. :tiphat:

them

Post by them »

Yup, that's the"fill side indicator on the gas gauge" I mentioned in my post. Handy things and great info/pic to share - "people should know." :) Unfortunately not all cars have them. :(

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

PUCKER wrote:Quick tip for quickly verifying which side the fuel tank fill is on (my daily driver is often a different rental car every week due to quite a bit of travel, so this has been very helpful to me), on the fuel gage, look for a fuel pump icon/symbol and then a little pointer, it points to which side the fuel fill is on. :tiphat:

[ Image ]
Not all vehicles have that marked. Our Suburban does not and I forget sometimes which side it's on since mine it on the passenger side.
Keith

cowboymd

Post by cowboymd »

Thanks for posting this, glad it turned out good for ya'll. I showed this to Mrs cowboy who had gotten a little slack in her carrying even though having her CHL. A good reminder for her and she is now back in the proper frame of mind of carrying.
TSRA Member
NRA Life Member

Return to “Never Again!!”