So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Wife Being Sized Up for Robbery

Post by Keith B »

C-dub wrote:Good job Keith.

This is not a criticism or critique. I wouldn't have thought to call 911 either because there was no emergency. I would've thought a call for what you described would have been a waste of time, but it sounds like they appreciated the call.
Actually, IMO it is an emergency. When you have a person out looking to commit a crime, it is critical to let the police know where they are so they can try to prevent a theft, robbery or maybe worse.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

aaangel
Posts in topic: 1

Post by aaangel »

i agree. it does not hurt to dial 911. that's why we have it...speak up if you see something suspicious.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

While they were there definitely. I thought you called after they left.

If I had the local PD number I might have called that to let them know. However, being out of town like you were, maybe I would have called 911 like you did because I would not have had the local PD number.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Hope, AR? Isn't that the little burg on I-30 that boasts to be the home of Bill, 'slick willie", Clinton?

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Oldgringo wrote:Hope, AR? Isn't that the little burg on I-30 that boasts to be the home of Bill, 'slick willie", Clinton?
Hope was his childhood home.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Keith B wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Hope, AR? Isn't that the little burg on I-30 that boasts to be the home of Bill, 'slick willie", Clinton?
Hope was his childhood home.
Then he moved to Change. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

C-dub wrote:While they were there definitely. I thought you called after they left.

If I had the local PD number I might have called that to let them know. However, being out of town like you were, maybe I would have called 911 like you did because I would not have had the local PD number.
If I had known the non-emergency number I might have called it. But since I felt there was someone who was out to commit a crime and getting the info to them quickly is critical, I would probably would still dial 911 and not take the time to look it up unless I know it off the top of my head
Keith

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Keith, I just read this to TAW too......and suggested like Charles that since it came from you instead of me, it's not a violation of Texas law for her to pay attention. She actually agreed that paying attention to little details like what side the gas cap is on is useful. Frankly, I'm not sure I would have picked up on that little detail until after I had twigged to the rest of it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Keith, I just read this to TAW too......and suggested like Charles that since it came from you instead of me, it's not a violation of Texas law for her to pay attention. She actually agreed that paying attention to little details like what side the gas cap is on is useful. Frankly, I'm not sure I would have picked up on that little detail until after I had twigged to the rest of it.
The location had about half of their pumps blocked becuase due to out of gas in one of their tanks. When I first saw him slowly driving up I thought he was just looking to get into an open lane and would maybe pull the hos across the car. However, it quickly became apparent he was not focused on getting out for fuel or sitting and fiddling with something in the car, but was focused on my wife out by herself in the field. There were several things that just didn't add up and they fell together very rapidly to put me on alert.
Keith

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Keith, glad that worked out well for you.. And glad you reported it.
Mind if I suggest that you upgrade the dog? ;-)

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

cb1000rider wrote:Keith, glad that worked out well for you.. And glad you reported it.
Mind if I suggest that you upgrade the dog? ;-)
Well, she may only be 10 lbs, but she is VERY protective. I would not want to try and hurt my wife. I seriously doubt she woudl have been able to totally stop a BG when out in the open, but you will be able to identify them from the bite marks.
Keith

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

Alert, oriented, and situationally aware, good job Keith. I was raised in Miami, FL and dear wife was raised in a Leave-it-to-Beaver environment in a small West Texas town. I was street smart and she trusted everything and everybody, the training began after we were married ;-) .
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

bilgerat57

Post by bilgerat57 »

Bravo Zulu Sir! :thumbs2: That's the way to roll!
A Gun in the hands of a bad man is a dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good man is a danger only to the bad man - Charlton Heston
The only time a Texan has a pinky out is to see if the chamber is empty in the dark. - SFC M. Merino US Army

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

johncanfield wrote:Alert, oriented, and situationally aware, good job Keith. I was raised in Miami, FL and dear wife was raised in a Leave-it-to-Beaver environment in a small West Texas town. I was street smart and she trusted everything and everybody, the training began after we were married ;-) .
Hers or yours? :evil2:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Good job Keith. I am glad all turned out well and that you had the instinct to call 911 to report it.

My wife had a scare several years ago before she got her CHL. She was followed by some misguided youth and was able to get into and lock her car before anything happened but she at least had the situational awareness. That was her deciding factor to get her CHL but also to look for another way to carry her "essentials".

Since we ride motorcycles, and when riding she always wears a small leather bag attached to her belt (not a fanny pack) that is designed for women that ride. She started using that more often, especially when she needs to carry a hair brush or other such stuff.

She also located a small latchable wallet that can hold several credit cards, cash, licenses and even a few pictures of the grandkids. When closed, it is not much bigger than a metal business card holder (still havent figured out how it can hold all of the stuff she puts in it) and she can put it in her front pocket or just carry it in her hand if she has no pockets. This is now what she carries when she does not need all of the "other stuff" that women carry.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “Never Again!!”