Sized up in San Antonio parking lot

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dreamer42
Posts in topic: 2

Sized up in San Antonio parking lot

Post by Dreamer42 »

Last night I was retrieving some bags and cooler from the parking lot at the LaQuinta around 11:30 pm. Well lit parking, glancing up every 20 or 30 seconds or so (not exactly a safe part of town). As I was double-checking to be sure I had everything I noticed a middle-aged man looking at me several times as he was walking by on the other side of the next row of vehicles. He continued walking past my vehicle for several yards. As I paused to check on him again, this time acting like I was being sure I had everything - giving me a reason to turn back an look where he was - he had stopped on the other side of an SUV a few cars over, walked between two cars and was looking directly at me. I stopped and just stared at him for about 20 seconds until he continued walking the other direction. I had my gun side hand free and was prepared to shout a warning like "I don't have anything you want." But the situation diffused itself, thankfully. Situational awareness: I was going to and from my car walking in the middle out in the open, not right next to the cars so as to be in control of my space.

Dreamer42

Keith B

Re: Sized up in San Antonio parking lot

Post by Keith B »

Dreamer42 wrote:Last night I was retrieving some bags and cooler from the parking lot at the LaQuinta around 11:30 pm. Well lit parking, glancing up every 20 or 30 seconds or so (not exactly a safe part of town). As I was double-checking to be sure I had everything I noticed a middle-aged man looking at me several times as he was walking by on the other side of the next row of vehicles. He continued walking past my vehicle for several yards. As I paused to check on him again, this time acting like I was being sure I had everything - giving me a reason to turn back an look where he was - he had stopped on the other side of an SUV a few cars over, walked between two cars and was looking directly at me. I stopped and just stared at him for about 20 seconds until he continued walking the other direction. I had my gun side hand free and was prepared to shout a warning like "I don't have anything you want." But the situation diffused itself, thankfully. Situational awareness: I was going to and from my car walking in the middle out in the open, not right next to the cars so as to be in control of my space.

Dreamer42
He may have been making sure you were the one who was supposed to be in the vehicle and not stealing something.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

PBR
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PBR »

Keith B wrote:
He may have been making sure you were the one who was supposed to be in the vehicle and not stealing something.
what i was thinking also -- but at least he was prepared and paying attention -- i would of probably asked him if their was something i could help him with when i noticed him watching me
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I also thought that as a possibility or that he was also keeping an eye on you for the same you were watching him.

20-30 seconds is a long time to not watch someone in that type of situation.

IOW ... "You don't want what I have."
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I would have made a less confrontational comment to him like 'Hey, how ya doing?', the whole time keeping my eyes trained on him. That would illicit one of two actions, either a personable greeting back if he is a good guy, or a hasty exit because he knows you are watching him and he no longer has the element of surprise.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

True enough Keith and more than likely also what I would have done in this situation in real life unless the intent was obvious and it was about to get nasty. I was only being sarcastic.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

C-dub wrote:I also thought that as a possibility or that he was also keeping an eye on you for the same you were watching him.

20-30 seconds is a long time to not watch someone in that type of situation.

IOW ... "You don't want what I have."
"rlol" Exactly!

--Great SA! I don't think someone who is removing luggage at a hotel is something to be concerned with, trust your instincts. He was sizing you up, that's what set off your alarm bells.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

9mmboy

Post by 9mmboy »

Ive noticed that a lot of CHLers are WAY too paranoid and take the smallest, meaningless situations and blow it up. He could of just been a very nosey person, or like stated above , making sure you werent breaking in the car. He was probabl6 a fellow CHLer.Of he were trying to jack you, the perfect time would of been when you had your head down in the trunk.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

9mmboy wrote:Ive noticed that a lot of CHLers are WAY too paranoid and take the smallest, meaningless situations and blow it up....
That sounds like a grossly over generalized, insupportable, and insulting comment. In fact, the actual CHL track record would clearly rebut your comment.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

BigBangSmallBucks

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

Jumping Frog wrote:
9mmboy wrote:Ive noticed that a lot of CHLers are WAY too paranoid and take the smallest, meaningless situations and blow it up....
That sounds like a grossly over generalized, insupportable, and insulting comment. In fact, the actual CHL track record would clearly rebut your comment.
:iagree:

I just call it situational awareness.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"He was probabl6 a fellow CHLer."

How was this conclusion arrived at?

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

he probably just thought you were hot :biggrinjester: "rlol"
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

9mmboy wrote:Ive noticed that a lot of CHLers are WAY too paranoid and take the smallest, meaningless situations and blow it up. He could of just been a very nosey person, or like stated above , making sure you werent breaking in the car. He was probabl6 a fellow CHLer.Of he were trying to jack you, the perfect time would of been when you had your head down in the trunk.
in the OP's defense, we weren't there. AS WE ALL KNOW, sometimes you just a a sense that something is wrong. I've found to my regret, when I ignore that sens bad things happen.

Plus, we're CHLers, we are more paranoid. But "just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you." :tiphat:

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

9mmboy wrote:Ive noticed that a lot of CHLers are WAY too paranoid and take the smallest, meaningless situations and blow it up. He could of just been a very nosey person, or like stated above , making sure you werent breaking in the car. He was probabl6 a fellow CHLer.Of he were trying to jack you, the perfect time would of been when you had your head down in the trunk.
One read through a very comprehensive post from a cop titled "Street robberies and you" on another forum fixed a lot of my complacency issues.

Since when did being vigilant and aware become bad things?
Psalm 91:2

CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

9mmboy,

I don't think of it as Paranoid! :nono: I think of it as PREPARED & AWARE. "Paranoid" to me, means someone who is overly worried. When I carry, I'm the opposite.

Maybe in the early days, I was paranoid about printing or paranoid about purse carrying. Now that has all changed. I marvel at how ignorant people are that I have a gun on me. I have yet to spot anyone else carrying, so I'm sure they've been thinking the same of me. Lol. Really, now that I think on it, I'm not bothered to look for others carrying, I'm too busy looking for people watching me because I am prepared & aware. ;-).
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Return to “Never Again!!”