Lesson learned. important message

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
premedit8ed
Posts in topic: 8

Lesson learned. important message

Post by premedit8ed »

Last year me and my wife had a Halloween party. We invited our close friends and a few family members. As well as some co-workers from my wife's work (a very upscale dental office) all the employees there are awesome folks. Needless to say last minute we received a request from one of her coworkers if she could have a few friends stop by, being the nice people we are we gladly gave in. When they arrived it was an instant red flag. They did not belong there. Very shady, thugs what was her coworker thinking. All night they were scoping out the place asking question about my job and where I worked saying "I'm looking for a job, what hours do you work there" I'm not a moron I knew I had the following Tuesday off and worked Monday so I said Tuesday, Thursdays and Fridays.

Tuesday comes around and it's around 10 am I'm on the laptop no tv, no stereo and I hear a car pull up I look outside and see a car with flashy rims custom paint and two black males get out they're looking around and walk up to the door. I freaked out went upstairs and barricade my door and wait. I hear them knock and ring the doorbell I stay quiet with 911 ready to send on my cell phone. About 5 minutes later the car is still there and I don't see the guys. I hear a pop noise I call 911 and make a loud bang noise to interfere wi th them hoping to scare them off I give 911 the info and situation to the officer that I'm transfered too. "On the way" I yell get out of my house the police are on the way they bolt. I come down stairs my window is busted and opened with dirt on the carpet I stay inside and wait when the cops arrive they examine the window and outside. They find a magazine.. to a bb gun, a parent lyrics they had used it to break the window by shooting it out. I was unarmed and it woke me up now I have 3 guns and in the process of getting my chl. Never will I or my family be a victim.
I would have shot to stop the threat if I was armed. A bb gun looks real to me especially in pistol format.
I share this story because Halloween is coming up and ppl can wear costumes to hide their identity. Please know who you are inviting and who is there even under a mask. Be safe
NRA member
springfield xds 9mm / Canik 55 T-120 9mm
Panther arms 5.56 A2 carbine
Remington 870 express super magnum

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lesson learned. important message

Post by Jumping Frog »

Welcome to the forums. Glad that it was something relatively minor that served as your wake-up call.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

This is why I don't do parties at the house. Very rarely will we ever have someone over we don't know very well.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Does your wife's coworker still work there? What did she have to say about the incident?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
premedit8ed

Post by premedit8ed »

C-dub wrote:Does your wife's coworker still work there? What did she have to say about the incident?
She denied any involvement or knowing who the intruders were
NRA member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

jmra wrote:This is why I don't do parties at the house. Very rarely will we ever have someone over we don't know very well.
:iagree: In fact, they don't get in the door.

Topic author
premedit8ed

Post by premedit8ed »

Oldgringo wrote:
jmra wrote:This is why I don't do parties at the house. Very rarely will we ever have someone over we don't know very well.
I apologize I haven't always been paranoid enough to not throw a Halloween party. Everyone has a breaking/learning point this was mine. That's why it's in the "never again" section entitled "lesson learned" I'm sure not all the people on this forum are afraid to throw a party this is just what happened to me and my .02 and if it helps just one person than it did it's intended purpose.
NRA member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

premedit8ed wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
I apologize I haven't always been paranoid enough to not throw a Halloween party. Everyone has a breaking/learning point this was mine. That's why it's in the "never again" section entitled "lesson learned" I'm sure not all the people on this forum are afraid to throw a party this is just what happened to me and my .02 and if it helps just one person than it did it's intended purpose.
:thumbs2:

jmra

Post by jmra »

premedit8ed wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
I wasn't being judgmental at all, I hope you didn't take it that way. I was simply stating that if I were to throw a party for people I didn't know intimately, the party would not be at my house. You're not the only one who has been burned. We all have learned lessons the hard way. :tiphat:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

I see no problem in being judgmental. A persons judgment is based on their experiences, which are so often overlooked in the face of all the PC taking place in our current society.

Lets be sure we don't say or do anything that may be taken in the wrong way by someone looking for a reason to take offense at almost everything.
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

One of the valuable takeaways from your experience is your "spidey sense". You clearly knew they were dangerous and took steps to ensure that they wouldn't be robbing you. That "spidey sense" will serve you well in the future, should you ever be in the presence of danger again. You are to be commended for listening to it and not brushing it off as paranoia. Well done.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
premedit8ed

Post by premedit8ed »

StewNTexas wrote:I see no problem in being judgmental. A persons judgment is based on their experiences, which are so often overlooked in the face of all the PC taking place in our current society.

Lets be sure we don't say or do anything that may be taken in the wrong way by someone looking for a reason to take offense at almost everything.

I completely agree with you, I take nothing as offensive I was just stating my pov. We're all here for the same reason our second ammendment and chl rights/privileges and to not be victims.
Cheers
NRA member

tomdavis

Post by tomdavis »

One of the valuable takeaways from your experience is your "spidey sense". You clearly knew they were dangerous and took steps to ensure that they wouldn't be robbing you. That "spidey sense" will serve you well in the future, should you ever be in the presence of danger again. You are to be commended for listening to it and not brushing it off as paranoia. Well done.
:iagree:
...for as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself. Arbroath, 4/6/1320.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

premedit8ed wrote:
C-dub wrote:Does your wife's coworker still work there? What did she have to say about the incident?
Let me see if I understand this correctly:

She asked if she could invite some additional friends.

The friends she invited never showed up.

Some random thugs that neither of you invited just happened to be cruising in the neighborhood and decided to crash the party.

Uh - huh.

Take warning - she self identified as a woman with a social circle that includes thug burglars and is unworthy of your trust.

She may have set this up to be in line for a "commission" if the burglary had gone through.

Don't be surprised if she turns out to have substance abuse issues.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
premedit8ed

Post by premedit8ed »

Excaliber wrote:
premedit8ed wrote:
Let me see if I understand this correctly:

She asked if she could invite some additional friends.

The friends she invited never showed up.

Some random thugs that neither of you invited just happened to be cruising in the neighborhood and decided to crash the party.

Uh - huh.

Take warning - she self identified as a woman with a social circle that includes thug burglars and is unworthy of your trust.

She may have set this up to be in line for a "commission" if the burglary had gone through.

Don't be surprised if she turns out to have substance abuse issues.
No they showed up, I'm just certain the people that attempted to rob us were "associated" with the friends she invited
NRA member

Return to “Never Again!!”