Turns out - I'm a Human.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
spolct
Posts in topic: 2

Turns out - I'm a Human.

Post by spolct »

In close to 3 years of carrying always and not usually telling, I've left it at home on accident twice now. Both times have been using a hybrid leather/kydex setup from Theis Holsters (no particular blame is prescribed to Mr. Theis here, although I think the inherent design of the hybrid style was a small contributing factor). The first time was with my LC9 and was 2 1/2 years ago - I left it at home, but even after adjusting my holster a couple of times, didn't realize it until that evening as I went to secure it before going into my daughter's school. I had that moment of panic thinking maybe I had left it somewhere during the day - I called my wife and had her check the safe and sure enough it was there. I decided then that I wasn't going to let that happen again. Apart from the obvious 'discount double check' routine, I'm also sure that anytime I adjust my holster (much less frequent now than in the early days thanks in large part to a 'real' belt) I feel for the barrel or end of the frame. If I can't feel anything in the bottom gap between the kydex and leather then I have a problem.

These days I've been carrying an M&P9c and the other day I left without it. The thing I did better this time around is that I noticed it was missing once I arrived at my first appointment for the day. The dumb thing I did was I did a spot check in the mirror before I had left to check for bulges. As I leaned over a bit I remember thinking 'wow this shirt really hides it well'. I was off my routine in several ways that morning and just didn't holster up, but I should have noticed something was awry given that the shirt I was wearing was an untucked solid light colored golfing-type polo that if you're paying attention, the notchy rear sights poke out a bit. That and there's a big difference in weight between the invisible and real versions of my 9c. After that first appointment, I sucked it up and drove all the way home to get it. I was late for my next appointment, but I didn't feel like trying to guess right that day.

Lesson learned - I need to go back to robot-mode and check every bit of my load-out 2 or 3 times over before rolling out of the driveway in the mornings. The End.

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Turns out - I'm a Human.

Post by LAYGO »

My pistols (almost) never leave the holster. If I put the holster on, the gun accompanies it. It is a lil difficult to try to manage getting the holster in the right spot & latched up first thing in the morning, but I can typically do it w/o issue. The problem arises later in the day when I'm paying a visit to the WC, but now I've got wallet, phone, knife, etc in the pockets weighing down the pants. It's a tad bit more difficult then. Not impossible mind you, but noticeable. In the morning, I don't have all that stuff loaded up yet as per my routine.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

That's what I like about appendix carry: I always know it's there. I'm with spolct in that the gun never leaves the holster unless I'm locking it up or attaching it to my under-desk gun magnet. In those cases, I have a MIC holster (kydex trigger cover) that goes on it. The PHLster Skeleton holster I have is a tad uncomfortable without my Glock 19 accompanying it. That, and I use the grip of my gun to get it into position before I snap the belt loop. So I guess the point I'm trying to make here is more people should try appendix carry because of the many benefits.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

I've done this too. I have a crossbreed and it's almost impossible to tell the difference between having the gun in the holster or not. Hybrids are great, uber comfortable holsters but I guess this is just an inherant weakness. I'm still trying to develop that failproof check to prevent leaving home without it.
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

mr1337 wrote:That's what I like about appendix carry: I always know it's there. I'm with spolct in that the gun never leaves the holster unless I'm locking it up or attaching it to my under-desk gun magnet. In those cases, I have a MIC holster (kydex trigger cover) that goes on it. The PHLster Skeleton holster I have is a tad uncomfortable without my Glock 19 accompanying it. That, and I use the grip of my gun to get it into position before I snap the belt loop. So I guess the point I'm trying to make here is more people should try appendix carry because of the many benefits.
I'm trying to picture how that would work for me. I am a little, ahem, portly (though I am working on it) and I have a hard time imagining appendix carry without a nagging and constant nudge in the gut. I carry typically at 3-3:30 in a Crossbreed without issue.

Any thoughts on how appendix carry works on those of us that generously shade our belts?
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Topic author
spolct
Posts in topic: 2

Post by spolct »

mr1337 wrote:That's what I like about appendix carry: I always know it's there. I'm with spolct in that the gun never leaves the holster unless I'm locking it up or attaching it to my under-desk gun magnet. In those cases, I have a MIC holster (kydex trigger cover) that goes on it. The PHLster Skeleton holster I have is a tad uncomfortable without my Glock 19 accompanying it. That, and I use the grip of my gun to get it into position before I snap the belt loop. So I guess the point I'm trying to make here is more people should try appendix carry because of the many benefits.
Not too long ago, I hadn't given appendix carry much thought other than to dismiss it as a bad idea for most of the same reasons we've all heard. I've come around on it recently and have tried it with marginal success. I think that there are definite advantages and that it can be done comfortably, but I haven't found that sweet spot yet. I have a galco sof-tuk for my LC9 and M&P 9c, and it works fairly well but I find that my extra 15-20 pounds push the grip out enough that it kinda destroys the concealment factor in most of the shirts I currently wear. If I tucked my shirt in on a regular basis I think it would help but I haven't tucked for at least 10 years - I would have to replace (add to) my current black WT Instructor belt. Another option would be to bury it a bit deeper in the waistline, but that makes getting a solid grip tough given the extra belt material in that area. Long story short: AWIB isn't off the table entirely, but I'm a ways away from making it an EDC deal.

Return to “Never Again!!”