Trick or Treat

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

MotherBear
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Trick or Treat

Post by MotherBear »

VMI77 wrote:Maybe because you live in the Texas liberal mecca? We live far out in the country now and don't get trick or treaters. But when we were in town, in a nice neighborhood, 90% of the trick or treaters were lower income children shipped in from poorer neighborhoods. All were very polite and well behaved. But then, maybe that was because of my 170 lb Great Dane, who loved Halloween and rushed to the door every time the bell rang. No one seemed to fear him though.....he was so sweet...but they did marvel at his size.
It's a possibility that being near Austin is a factor, but I suspect it's mostly related to this specific neighborhood. For what it's worth, our previous neighborhood was inside Austin city limits, but near the northern edge. We had to put up with city ordinances and APD and all that, but our neighbors were relatively conservative folks with common sense. Our current neighborhood is outside the limits, but still in its shadow (aka extraterritorial jurisdiction). Eventually I suspect we'll move completely into one of the smaller communities surrounding Austin, but between my husband's field of employment (technology) and our roots (20-25 years of living in the area, family here, longtime friends, church, etc.) I doubt we'll ever get too far from Austin geographically much as we may not fit in politically.

I grew up in the country (just outside Leander when it was smaller) and we never got trick-or-treaters unless the next-door neighbors' grandkids maybe dropped by to visit. I've realized living out there spoiled me for suburban living. I like my neighbors a lot better when there's enough space between us that their noise, parking choices, personal disputes, etc. don't affect me.

aggie67
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Trick or Treat

Post by aggie67 »

I live in a quiet rural area--dead end road and not many younger children so I have not had trick or treaters in 17 years. My best memories are of when my now 40+ year old children were growing up in West Texas farm and ranch country.

Sometimes your nearest neighbor was two miles away as the crow flies and the total population was very small. We would organize kids at church or Boy Scouts and take the elderly in our church and community candy and homemade baked goods. Our children would dress up and knock and trick or treat by giving away goodies and bring smiles to good folks. We would split up the areas and one group would be assigned the N, E, S, and W quadrants and make their deliveries. We might drive 20 miles in our routes, but it was always worth it. Then everyone would gather at one of the churches and have punch and cookies.

Both the receivers and the givers enjoyed this tradition and the blessings that children bring. I am afraid Halloween is commercialized like Christmas and other holidays.

Return to “Never Again!!”