Loaded .22 on Christmas Morning

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 2

Loaded .22 on Christmas Morning

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I was reminiscing from another post about buying guns at Gibsons, etc. retail stores. It reminded me of a scary story from Christmas 1972. I was ten years old. We exchanged gifts on Christmas Eve, but Santa came Christmas morning. So that morning I ran into my grandparent's dining room to find the magical cache of Santa gifts. To my utter delight/amazement, there was a Remington Model 581 .22 LR rifle. I was fondling it while siblings and other relatives stood by. Naturally, part of my fondling including working the bolt action, whereupon I noticed a round going into the chamber. Whoops. I alerted Dad ("Um... Dad, this rifle is loaded."). We cleared the breech, then opened the tubular magazine to find at least a half dozen rounds in this baby. Dad was as mad as a dad-lawyer can get over a dangerous and potentially catastrophic act of negligence on somebody else's part. At this point, all the pretense of Santa's elves went out the window. It was quickly apparent that this rifle was bought at Oshman's Sporting Goods in Houston. I wasn't there for the Judgement Day, but I can only imagine what Dad told the Oshman's manager.

Anyway, the moral of the story is the same: treat every gun like it is loaded, even if it is new out of the box.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Loaded .22 on Christmas Morning

Post by puma guy »

J.R.@A&M wrote:I was reminiscing from another post about buying guns at Gibsons, etc. retail stores. It reminded me of a scary story from Christmas 1972. I was ten years old. We exchanged gifts on Christmas Eve, but Santa came Christmas morning. So that morning I ran into my grandparent's dining room to find the magical cache of Santa gifts. To my utter delight/amazement, there was a Remington Model 581 .22 LR rifle. I was fondling it while siblings and other relatives stood by. Naturally, part of my fondling including working the bolt action, whereupon I noticed a round going into the breech. Whoops. I alerted Dad ("Um... Dad, this rifle is loaded."). We cleared the breech, then opened the tubular magazine to find at least a half dozen rounds in this baby. Dad was as mad as a dad-lawyer can get over a dangerous and potentially catastrophic act of negligence on somebody else's part. At this point, all the pretense of Santa's elves went out the window. It was quickly apparent that this rifle was bought at Oshman's Sporting Goods in Houston. I wasn't there for the Judgement Day, but I can only imagine what Dad told the Oshman's manager.

Anyway, the moral of the story is the same: treat every gun like it is loaded, even if it is new out of the box.
That's scary and weird. I can't imagine why any one would load ammo into a weapon for sale. My only Christmas gun was a 12 gauge J.C. Higgins Model 20 pump (High Standard Flite King) shotgun with Cutts Compensator and choke tubes when I was about 12-13. My skinny frame took a beating, but you wouldn't here me complain when we went goose hunting. I traded it for something in my twenties, but I ran across one of choke tubes not long ago.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I'm a little surprised your dad didn't check the gun to ensure it was unloaded at some point from the time he purchased it and the time he left it out for you. I would think several checks would have been in order before you got your hands on it.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

mojo84 wrote:I'm a little surprised your dad didn't check the gun to ensure it was unloaded at some point from the time he purchased it and the time he left it out for you. I would think several checks would have been in order before you got your hands on it.
:iagree:

Topic author
J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

mojo84 wrote:I'm a little surprised your dad didn't check the gun to ensure it was unloaded at some point from the time he purchased it and the time he left it out for you. I would think several checks would have been in order before you got your hands on it.
I would have to agree with you. Maybe that's part of the reason Dad was so mad (partly mad at himself).
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

jmra

Post by jmra »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
I would have to agree with you. Maybe that's part of the reason Dad was so mad (partly mad at himself).
I bet he never made that mistake again.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Yup, great catch on your part! :woohoo

I have received and shipped thousands of firearms, I check every one as they come and go.

In all of those, I have received only one that was loaded, (fully).

Yet still, I check every one that I touch hoping to not miss the next one that comes through loaded, it may be going to a 10 year old that is not so attentive...
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

Always check, always safe.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Deltaboy »

This is the first time I have heard of this happening with a brand new store bought gun. Now with used one's I have ran into that at least a couple of times.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Deltaboy wrote:This is the first time I have heard of this happening with a brand new store bought gun. Now with used one's I have ran into that at least a couple of times.
In the early 70s there weren't nearly as many rules and the ones that did exist were often viewed as guidelines. This rifle may well have been sold, returned, and then resold as new.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Yep and they let us mail order them plus I could walk into any story and buy 30-30 ,16 gauge ammo and all the 22 I could pay for no questions asked.

Texsquatch

Post by Texsquatch »

Deltaboy wrote:Yep and they let us mail order them plus I could walk into any story and buy 30-30 ,16 gauge ammo and all the 22 I could pay for no questions asked.
I thought those mail order days ended by '68?

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

We ordered Guns from Sears and the Mailman stopped delivering them in Eastern Arkansas 1972. :txflag:

Return to “Never Again!!”