Man injured by ND outside Bass Pro Shops

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Man injured by ND outside Bass Pro Shops

Post by philip964 »

http://m.wlky.com/news/1-injured-in-acc ... s/30425370" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An unloaded gun.

Itnkrman
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Man injured by ND outside Bass Pro Shops

Post by Itnkrman »

You'd "think" this wouldn't be an issue.

I seriously hope I'm never wrong, but I think I'd wear a little of the slide metal off by checking and re-checking that the weapon was unloaded before it ever left my home. But then again, I swore I turned the back porch light off before bed last night too.... :banghead:
Ruger SR9c
Taurus PT640 Pro
Bersa 380
Stevens 20ga.

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

So will Bass Pro Shops be found liable, since they require the guns to be unloaded before being brought into the store?

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

philip964 wrote:So will Bass Pro Shops be found liable, since they require the guns to be unloaded before being brought into the store?
It was unloaded outside the store, sadly it was unloaded into the owners own stomach.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

More details are needed here because it's hard to visualize how this could have been done accidentally.

Was he checking to see if it was unloaded by pointing it at his stomach and pulling the trigger?

Or was this an unsuccessful attempted suicide designed to look like an accident for insurance purposes?
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Bass Pro has nothing to do with it as he was taking it in to trade. It sounds like he grabbed the firearm by the barrel and dragged it toward himself, allowing something to flick the trigger. His bad. I was taught, when a young person, many many years ago, that you never drag a firearm towards yourself unless you wanted a bullet in the gut, and you never lean a firearm against a fence post when crossing a fence, or stepping through a fence, because you will shoot yourself.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

MeMelYup wrote:Bass Pro has nothing to do with it as he was taking it in to trade. It sounds like he grabbed the firearm by the barrel and dragged it toward himself, allowing something to flick the trigger. His bad. I was taught, when a young person, many many years ago, that you never drag a firearm towards yourself unless you wanted a bullet in the gut, and you never lean a firearm against a fence post when crossing a fence, or stepping through a fence, because you will shoot yourself.
Your analysis is a real good candidate for explaining what happened, particularly if it was a long gun.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

Rule 1 :banghead:

jmra

Post by jmra »

Thread title should read "Idiot injured by ND outside Bass Pro Shop"
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

darn shame
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

bigity

Post by bigity »

A friend of my wife's husband just recovered from shooting himself while cleaning a gun.

We are all human I guess but I cannot even fathom how you don't check a gun is empty half a dozen times before you even sit down with your cleaning supplies. Or even move it from it's normal resting spot.

At least if it's not your EDC gun.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

philip964 wrote:So will Bass Pro Shops be found liable, since they require the guns to be unloaded before being brought into the store?

I'm not directing this at you or attacking you. This type of thought process is much of the problem with our legal system. There are many that would try to hold Bass Pro liable even though they have nothing to do with it.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

HadEmAll

Post by HadEmAll »

bigity wrote:A friend of my wife's husband .........
Your wife's husband?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

HadEmAll wrote:
bigity wrote:A friend of my wife's husband .........
Your wife's husband?
Could be a sneaky way of saying, a friend of mine.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I like how the article says the he believed it was unloaded rather than actually checking to see if it was unloaded.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “Never Again!!”