Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://www.policeone.com/police-heroes/ ... n-the-job/
Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job
Before the call that changed Sergeant Timothy Gramins’ life forever, he typically carried 47 rounds of handgun ammunition on his person while on duty
Apr 17, 2013
Before the call that changed Sergeant Timothy Gramins’ life forever, he typically carried 47 rounds of handgun ammunition on his person while on duty.

Today, he carries 145, “every day, without fail.”

He detailed the gunfight that caused the difference in a gripping presentation at the annual conference of the Assn. of SWAT Personnel-Wisconsin.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AJSully421

Re: Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

Post by AJSully421 »

Why does he carry so many rounds? Because he knows.

Ammo is cheap, life is expensive. Ammo is heavy, regret is heavier.

I started concealing two spare mags after I read this the first time in 2009.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

ajwakeboarder
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ajwakeboarder »

:iagree: I was considering switching to a .45 7+1 1911 for CC. This story changed my mind. I carry 9mm 15+1 with 2 spare mags.
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've been EDCing my 5+1 round XDS45 with 1 spare 7 round magazine for a long time now. Without even thinking about it, but after having read this, I strapped on my 9+1 round XDM45 Compact with a spare 13 round magazine yesterday. I still can't bring myself to carry 2 backup magazines most of the time, simply for comfort reasons.

But I would point out some differences between Sgt Gramins and me..... He was getting paid to track down, corner, and arrest an armed robber. Compare that to the other people in the story. The boy ran into his house and yelled at his dad to call 911. Both father and son stayed inside. The people at the robbery location did not pursue the bad guy. I'm like the other people in the story. The odds that Gramins will need 145 rounds are much higher than if I will. He has a legal obligation that I do not share.

I posted this story just because I think the subject bears revisiting once in a while.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

papabear

Post by papabear »

Thanks for this. I carry extra ammo too.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

"At one point Gramins heard a doctor exclaim, “We may as well stop. Every bag of blood we give him ends up on the floor. This guy’s like Swiss cheese. Why’d that cop have to shoot him so many times!”

The doctor has no clue that you shoot to stop the attacker.

If that means you shoot multiple times than that's what needs to be done in order to save your life and maybe others.

Sometimes doctors (among others...) may be book smart and street stupid.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Hopefully, at some point, that doctor learned why he was shot so many times. Because he wouldn't stop.

When I carried a Glock 27 I carried 41 rounds all the time (2x15 spares and 10+1 in the gun). Since switching to .45's, I have 37 rounds all the time (2x13 spares and 10+1 in the gun). I can't imagine even carrying double that and logistically don't have anywhere to carry them anyway. I do have an extra box of 50 JHP in the truck, but it would have to be loaded into a mag. Still don't bring along a rifle, although I might if I had a bigger trunk that I could put a secure box into to keep it in. Maybe the next car will have that. If that ever happens I may top the officer's 147 rounds total.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

LDB415
Posts in topic: 4

Post by LDB415 »

Why carry 10+1 in the gun with each gun rather than a full capacity magazine in the gun and the 10 round as the second backup? For that matter why not have 3 full capacity magazines when carrying?
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

A-R

Post by A-R »

That article had a profound effect on my what-to-carry decisions when I first read it a couple years ago.

Kiowa Scout

Post by Kiowa Scout »

This article made me think about my carry method years ago when I first read it. No matter what pistol I'm carry, I carry at least two extra magazines. I average 46-48 rounds at all times, even if I'm carry a 1911. When I'm carrying my m&p9, I have at least 69 rounds on me. I also carry at least 1 BUG and spare magazines or speed loaders for it as well.
"They all handle the sword and are expert in war; every man has his sword on his thigh, that fear be not excited in the night" Song of Solomon 3:8

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Abraham wrote:"At one point Gramins heard a doctor exclaim, “We may as well stop. Every bag of blood we give him ends up on the floor. This guy’s like Swiss cheese. Why’d that cop have to shoot him so many times!”

The doctor has no clue that you shoot to stop the attacker.

If that means you shoot multiple times than that's what needs to be done in order to save your life and maybe others.

Sometimes doctors (among others...) may be book smart and street stupid.

Keep in mind that any grand jury or petit jury that you may find yourself in front of after a SD/HD shooting may be made up of the exact same type of people.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

LDB415 wrote:Why carry 10+1 in the gun with each gun rather than a full capacity magazine in the gun and the 10 round as the second backup? For that matter why not have 3 full capacity magazines when carrying?

For the G27, 10 rounds is actually with a +1 mag extension. It can only hold that number in a standard mag. His backup mags are Glock 22 mags.

For the .45, I can only assume it is a Glock 30 with full size G21 mags as backup.

There would be little point in carrying a Glock 27 with a G22 mag sticking out the bottom of it. May as well carry a G22.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

AJSully421 wrote:
LDB415 wrote:Why carry 10+1 in the gun with each gun rather than a full capacity magazine in the gun and the 10 round as the second backup? For that matter why not have 3 full capacity magazines when carrying?

For the G27, 10 rounds is actually with a +1 mag extension. It can only hold that number in a standard mag. His backup mags are Glock 22 mags.

For the .45, I can only assume it is a Glock 30 with full size G21 mags as backup.

There would be little point in carrying a Glock 27 with a G22 mag sticking out the bottom of it. May as well carry a G22.
Nailed it! Although, I had forgotten that the G27 was normally 9+1. I tried the Pearce grip extender, but didn't like it and traded for a standard 9 round mag with someone at a range that I let try mine and they liked it.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

A-R

Post by A-R »

C-dub wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:

Nailed it! Although, I had forgotten that the G27 was normally 9+1. I tried the Pearce grip extender, but didn't like it and traded for a standard 9 round mag with someone at a range that I let try mine and they liked it.
Actually, this guy carries all 9mm now. Glock 17 primary 17+1 & G26 backup 10 w/ 3 x 17-round mags and 2 x 33-round mags 18+10+17+17+17+33+33 = 145
Before the shooting, Gramins routinely carried 47 rounds of handgun ammo on his person, including two extra magazines for his Glock 21 and 10 rounds loaded in a backup gun attached to his vest, a 9 mm Glock 26.

Now unfailingly he goes to work carrying 145 handgun rounds, all 9 mm. These include three extra 17-round magazines for his primary sidearm (currently a Glock 17), plus two 33-round mags tucked in his vest, as well as the backup gun. Besides all that, he’s got 90 rounds for the AR-15 that now rides in a rack up front.

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

ajwakeboarder wrote::iagree: I was considering switching to a .45 7+1 1911 for CC. This story changed my mind. I carry 9mm 15+1 with 2 spare mags.
I think this story changed my mind on caliber vs capacity as well. I have a 8+1 .45 that I haven't carried in close to 2 years. It's been my Shield 8+1 (ya I know, what's the difference? Except I can pocket carry this at work, or not all. Pretty easy choice IMO.) or M&P .40 at 15+1.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Return to “Never Again!!”