M&P Bodyguard

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
yesmcgrath
Posts in topic: 2

M&P Bodyguard

Post by yesmcgrath »

within its category of small .380, would anyone here recommend a better option in place of the bodyguard?
Last edited by yesmcgrath on Wed May 13, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
yesmcgrath

Re: Showed my boss my gun

Post by yesmcgrath »

I forgot to add... Please give me your opinions on this... Was I the fool for displaying my weapon to him? I feel that despite the circumstances it was still inappropriate to display my weapon even though well-intended.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

You should not do that (informed your boss you are carrying) as you had been carrying against Co. Policy. Let us see what happens. Maybe nothing or maybe you need to brush up your Resume.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

yesmcgrath wrote:I forgot to add... Please give me your opinions on this... Was I the fool for displaying my weapon to him? I feel that despite the circumstances it was still inappropriate to display my weapon even though well-intended.
Yes, you were, and what you did was also illegal. Your CHL covers you for "unintentional failure to conceal", but not for "intentional failure to conceal", which is what you did. You intentionally displayed your gun. REALLY poor decision-making.

yesmcgrath, check your PMs. You might want to police up some of the language in your opening post.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

yesmcgrath wrote:I forgot to add... Please give me your opinions on this... Was I the fool for displaying my weapon to him? I feel that despite the circumstances it was still inappropriate to display my weapon even though well-intended.
Maybe not a fool, but it was not a good decision. The fewer people that know your carrying the better. If a robbery situation occurs you don't want co workers looking at you or saying "do something". It draws the culprit's attention to you.
My boss may suspect that I carry, but I refused to tell her that I did when she asked.
N5PNZ

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Unbelievable! I'm amazed you haven't been fired yet and even more amazed that you haven't been charged with intentional failure to conceal. This is even worse than they guy that came into your store that was probably ignorant about his concealment situation. You will be one of the luckiest people around if neither of those things happen. Also, given the timing of yours (during a performance review), it could have also been construed as a threat if you received a poor evaluation. Regarding the situation with the poorly concealed gun on the customer, it would have been far better to have shown the initiative to approach him and inform him of his failure to give him the opportunity to correct it. This would have also shown your boss that you were willing to handle that situation with minimal confrontation and with tact.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

The habit of intentionally revealing might lead to a mindset inclined to tregedy. You aren't there to take care of anything, really, unless you're a cop. Defend yourself when forced, not just when there is a chance to do so.

As to the presence or absense of my gun, unless you have a badge, good conflict avoidance may involve bending the truth. Basically, paraphrasing a very old and silly ad, only my hairdresser knows for sure.

I can understand wanting to evangelize concealed carry, and assume you revealed your handgun with pure intentions - but please consider more discreet tactics.

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

Carry concealed, Keep quiet about it. Smile.

That's all I have to say about that.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Why haven't you confronted the moron that comes in frequently showing off his sidearm. Your store allows concealed carry not open carry. That's what you should have done. Tell him he's showing. And what you did by showing your boss wasn't the smartest thing. I think you already realize that and hope you've learned by your mistake.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

First, welcome to the forum. The saying you will hear most often is "Concealed is concealed." Your action during your review was ill-advised though your intentions may have been good. Hopefully the path to unemployment isn't paved with good intentions in this case. As others have suggested, informing the customer with poor concealment habits that his second amendment was showing (non-confrontationally, of course) would have been a much better option.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

First, welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you read the forum rules as to language and decorum.

As has been stated here and elsewhere on the forum, "concealed means concealed". In this case, not only did you break company policy, you broke the law, at the same time.

You didnt say how long you have had your CHL, but I would also suggest you go back and read the laws about remaining concealed.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 3

Post by mojo84 »

Hopefully better discernment will come with time and age.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

txcharvel

Post by txcharvel »

Dan20703 wrote:Carry concealed, Keep quiet about it. Smile.

That's all I have to say about that.
The only person that needs to know you are carrying is YOU. That why it's call concealed carry.

Also, you broke the law when you intentionally displayed your weapon.

First rule about concealed carry is don't talk about concealed carry.

Have you considered joining OCT?

Otherwise, welcome to the forum. There is a VAST amount of knowledge here. I encourage you read and read often.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

The OP's first post was an attention getting dilly.....for sure. :headscratch

Return to “Never Again!!”