Call-To-Action: HB910

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

joe817
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Call-To-Action: HB910

Post by joe817 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: I have a Twitter account that I never use and I know nothing about how Twitter works. Here's a link to a Twitter page listing Tweets under the hashtag #txleg. https://twitter.com/hashtag/txlege?src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The alleged Abbott tweet is there and if you click on the "view photo" link, so is the image. Since I don't know how Twitter works, I can't say if all tweets under a hashtag show up in two places or only one. Remember Sen. Ellis' and West's support of the Huffines Amendment? Chas.
Well, I signed up for a Twitter account, clicked on the link Charles posted, and I didn't see ANYTHING that remotely resembled a tweet from Abbott mentioning HB910. The first image I see is a plaque with a LEO badge saying "EVERY COP WHO PUTS ON THIS BADGE knows there's a chance they might not come back at night. LET'S APPRECIATE OUR COPS." I say Amen to that!

But nothing on the reference in question. Oh well, I'll just wait and let other make the comments from Twitter.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

safety1 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Seems to me that if the Governor supported OC a month ago after the House passed 910, there's no reason for him to not support the version that passed the Senate last night.

It only differs by a clerical error.
I agree, it has been said that this amendment would have little affect and was all grandstanding.
The Gov. supported it coming out of the House with a VERY similar amendment.
Why the uproar now and now rumors the Gov will veto it??
I'm not point fingers at anyone....I'm confused as many of us are.
I understand the bill was suppose to come out of the senate "clean"
But those that striped the amendment in commitee knew the votes were there to get it back.
I understand there is workings and agrrements behind closed doors we dont know about.
With that said, it now feels like the "good guys" would like to see the bill die.
Again, Im not pointing fingers at ANYONE, I'm making and observation that I'm sure many are feeling the same
Ready for the tongue lashing that I'm sure is coming.
You make gross assumptions and look for conspiracies.

You assume that Gov. Abbott supported HB910 with the Dutton Amendment that came unexpectedly. You ignore the massive law enforcement response to the Amendment and the respect that LEOs have with elected officials. Law enforcement opposed open-carry and the Legislature passed it anyway, but adding the Dutton Amendment is viewed as a slap in the face. Real world impact or not, it is viewed as distrust of law enforcement and that doesn't go over well conservatives who are the strongest supporters of gun rights. You also assume that the Dutton Amendment and the support of Sen. West and Ellis were solely to protect citizens and not part of a broader plan.

Chas.

safety1
Posts in topic: 23

Post by safety1 »

I'm
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
safety1 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:Seems to me that if the Governor supported OC a month ago after the House passed 910, there's no reason for him to not support the version that passed the Senate last night.

It only differs by a clerical error.
I agree, it has been said that this amendment would have little affect and was all grandstanding.
The Gov. supported it coming out of the House with a VERY similar amendment.
Why the uproar now and now rumors the Gov will veto it??
I'm not point fingers at anyone....I'm confused as many of us are.
I understand the bill was suppose to come out of the senate "clean"
But those that striped the amendment in commitee knew the votes were there to get it back.
I understand there is workings and agrrements behind closed doors we dont know about.
With that said, it now feels like the "good guys" would like to see the bill die.
Again, Im not pointing fingers at ANYONE, I'm making and observation that I'm sure many are feeling the same
Ready for the tongue lashing that I'm sure is coming.

You make gross assumptions and look for conspiracies.

You assume that Gov. Abbott supported HB910 with the Dutton Amendment that came unexpectedly. You ignore the massive law enforcement response to the Amendment and the respect that LEOs have with elected officials. Law enforcement opposed open-carry and the Legislature passed it anyway, but adding the Dutton Amendment is viewed as a slap in the face. Real world impact or not, it is viewed as distrust of law enforcement and that doesn't go over well conservatives who are the strongest supporters of gun rights. You also assume that the Dutton Amendment and the support of Sen. West and Ellis were solely to protect citizens and not part of a broader plan.

Chas.
Charles, I don't believe I'm looking for conspiracies, just answeres as many of us are. My assumptions
are just based off what I have seen circulating on the board, and maybe they are based on false premise.
we dont have inside knowledge so we are left to speculate. Maybe that is poor judgment on my part.
you are right, it would be presumptuous to assume the Gov. supported HB910 with the Dutton admen.
I'm not ignoring law enforcements response to the amend. I respect it and was under the impression that the impacts
of the amend would not be significant, largely due to the fact you had stated it was pointless and just grandstanding.
Referencing current case law etc in the 5th circuit. I thought a recent ruling made this amend pointless.
however, i joined the push to request for it to be pulled down. I did this based on your request, for the health
of the bill. I don't trust Ellis or West as far as I could throw them. They may have a broader plan, Im sure they do
I don't support it, whatever it may be. If the real world impact is insignificant, which I think we view that it
may be....is it worth loosing the bill at this stage of the game? As i always have on this forum, I graciously
thank you for your hard work and dedication.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by K.Mooneyham »

If this doesn't pass into law, Bloomberg, et al., are going to laugh so loud that you'll be able to hear them on the other side of the planet. And they are going to buy media time crowing and saying how they won, etc., and how much influence they have even in a Republican dominated state. I'm so irritated right now! :banghead: :mad5

safety1

Post by safety1 »

I have family in law enforcement, i have worked closely with law enforcement for almost 18 years.
i respect their view but not all law enforcement is against it. I 100% clearly understand why many
oppose it. Some of the biggest law enforcement agencies in the state opposed the bill with or without
yet they proceeded with the bill. I'm just confused and worried we will loose all that has been put into
this, and we all know who is to blame Dutton/Huffines. Pointing fingers at them won't expand our 2A
rights.....and there is a real chance this could kill OC in Texas permanently. Major kick to the gut of all
law abiding gun owners supportive of OC. I also think there will always be a Dutton/Huffines in the wings
Last edited by safety1 on Sun May 24, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

safety1

Post by safety1 »

K.Mooneyham wrote:If this doesn't pass into law, Bloomberg, et al., are going to laugh so loud that you'll be able to hear them on the other side of the planet. And they are going to buy media time crowing and saying how they won, etc., and how much influence they have even in a Republican dominated state. I'm so irritated right now! :banghead: :mad5
I agree, i hope the term "consensual stop" saves us from total failure
Last edited by safety1 on Sun May 24, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA - Life Member

Thomas Hagemeier
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Thomas Hagemeier »

.... An inch at a time.....

I'm impatient. Come on, House, pass this b____ and lets be done with it.
Believer in God, happily married,
Love dogs, patriot, Lifetime NRA,
And Keyboard Rambo

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

K.Mooneyham wrote:If this doesn't pass into law, Bloomberg, et al., are going to laugh so loud that you'll be able to hear them on the other side of the planet. And they are going to buy media time crowing and saying how they won, etc., and how much influence they have even in a Republican dominated state. I'm so irritated right now! :banghead: :mad5
This is absolutely true! If it dies, it will be because of Huffines, not MDA, but they'll certainly take credit.

Chas.

safety1

Post by safety1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
This is absolutely true! If it dies, it will be because of Huffines, not MDA, but they'll certainly take credit.

Chas.
Charles, What if anything can we do at this point in time to help the cause?
NRA - Life Member

thechl
Posts in topic: 1

Post by thechl »

It seems to me that a simple written reminder of a tenet of the 4th Amendment should not be considered a slap to law enforcement, nor a reason to veto an otherwise acceptable piece of legislation.

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

I have tons of respect for the majority of "law enforcement" agencies and officers, but I want them to be chartered, focused and measured on their performance of ENFORCEMENT of the laws rather than how well they LOBBY for or against the amendments by the law makers.
Don't forget the fact that LEOs and their agencies are paid public servants, as are the legislators.
Life is good.

Thomas Hagemeier

God help Abbott if he vetoes this Bill for ANY reason, after campaigning on a "get it to my desk and I will sign it" pledge.

"read my lips..... no new taxes."
And Keyboard Rambo

K5GU

Post by K5GU »

Xikar wrote:God help Abbott if he vetoes this Bill for ANY reason, after campaigning on a "get it to my desk and I will sign it" pledge.

"read my lips..... no new taxes."
He won't veto it. That's all I can say right now.
Life is good.

Thomas Hagemeier

You a ham radio operator?

And do you "know something" about the House voting? Is HB910 being voted on today?
And Keyboard Rambo

viking1000
Posts in topic: 5

Post by viking1000 »

Does anyone know whats going on ???

Return to “2015 Legislative Session”