Unintentionally drove into plant with gun for 2 weeks

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 4

Unintentionally drove into plant with gun for 2 weeks

Post by rp_photo »

My regular office is 30.06 posted, so i have gotten into the habit of placing the gun under the seat. Sometimes out of forgetfulness or laziness I leave it there between trips.

For the past two weeks i drove into a plant assuming that the gun was at home.

Neither the guards or I noticed anything during several open door inspections, and i didn't realize what had happened until yesterday when i saw the empty holster on a table.

i had every intention to respect the plant rules and felt stupid about the oversight.

From now on, if i intend to drive somewhere unarmed, i will visually confirm that the gun is at home each time i leave home.
Last edited by rp_photo on Sat May 23, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Topic author
rp_photo

Re: Unintentionally drove into plant with gun for 2 weeks

Post by rp_photo »

george wrote:To me, the most disturbing fact is that you were unaware if you had a pistol, and where it was.
Agree. i live alone, so there is somewhat less urgency on the home front.

For me, the main concern is making sure there is not a gun on me or in my vehicle when that is the intention.
CHL since 2/2011

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

The plant was 30.06 posted, but since the gun remained in the vehicle at all times, it was never carried under the authority of my CHL. In other words, a CHL would not have been required since the MPA authorizes guns in vehicles.

So i'm assuming that i at least didn't violate 30.06 and put my CHL at risk, but of course there could have been a lot of other problems.
CHL since 2/2011

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jmra »

Glad it all worked out and a lesson was learned the easy way instead of the hard way.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Back in 1980 the company I worked for installed a compressor at a neighboring facility (different company) to compress an off-gas to put in a pipeline and feed a new production unit at my home facility. When the new production unit was in initial start-up I was called out on my day off to go to the remote compressor station and baby sit the compressor because the automated controls were not tuned. I arrived at the site and went through their security gate to access our compressor station. They never searched vehicles going in. I absent mindedly forgot about my 20 ga 18" barrel shotgun I carried on a seat mount just above the floor of my truck. I drove to the station and worked a 12 hour shift. At the end of my shift my relief arrived and took over. When driving to the gate I remembered about the shotgun. They always searched vehicles on exit. I pulled over and stopped for a minute or two to think about what I should do. I decided to just go ahead and act like nothing was wrong and drove to the exit.

When I arrived at the gate I stopped at the gate and waited for their security.

An elderly security guard sauntered out to my truck and greeted me with a "Howdy". I shut my ignition off and opened my truck door and climbed out. He eased into my truck and saw the shotgun. He paused for a moment. I could hear the gears turning in his head.

He backed out, looked at me and said "Everything loos good to me. See you next time."

I got in and drove out.

I never forgot the shotgun after that.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

CrimsonSoul
Posts in topic: 3

Post by CrimsonSoul »

rp_photo wrote:The plant was 30.06 posted, but since the gun remained in the vehicle at all times, it was never carried under the authority of my CHL. In other words, a CHL would not have been required since the MPA authorizes guns in vehicles.

So i'm assuming that i at least didn't violate 30.06 and put my CHL at risk, but of course there could have been a lot of other problems.
MPA and CHL don't apply if it's a plant (chemical/refinery) that us gated and has guards at the entrance and exits
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

Here's the law (guns in parking lots) when it comes to a plant with gate guards
Sec. 52.062. EXCEPTIONS. (a) Section 52.061 does not:
(1) authorize a person who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition to possess a firearm or ammunition on any property where the possession of a firearm or ammunition is prohibited by state or federal law; or
(2) apply to:
(F) property owned or leased by a chemical manufacturer or oil and gas refiner with an air authorization under Chapter 382, Health and Safety Code, and on which the primary business conducted is the manufacture, use, storage, or transportation of hazardous, combustible, or explosive materials, except in regard to an employee who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and who stores a firearm or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees that is outside of a secured and restricted area:
(i) that contains the physical plant;
(ii) that is not open to the public; and
(iii) the ingress into which is constantly monitored by security personnel.
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

anygunanywhere wrote:Back in 1980 the company I worked for installed a compressor at a neighboring facility (different company) to compress an off-gas to put in a pipeline and feed a new production unit at my home facility. When the new production unit was in initial start-up I was called out on my day off to go to the remote compressor station and baby sit the compressor because the automated controls were not tuned. I arrived at the site and went through their security gate to access our compressor station. They never searched vehicles going in. I absent mindedly forgot about my 20 ga 18" barrel shotgun I carried on a seat mount just above the floor of my truck. I drove to the station and worked a 12 hour shift. At the end of my shift my relief arrived and took over. When driving to the gate I remembered about the shotgun. They always searched vehicles on exit. I pulled over and stopped for a minute or two to think about what I should do. I decided to just go ahead and act like nothing was wrong and drove to the exit.

When I arrived at the gate I stopped at the gate and waited for their security.

An elderly security guard sauntered out to my truck and greeted me with a "Howdy". I shut my ignition off and opened my truck door and climbed out. He eased into my truck and saw the shotgun. He paused for a moment. I could hear the gears turning in his head.

He backed out, looked at me and said "Everything loos good to me. See you next time."

I got in and drove out.

I never forgot the shotgun after that.
LOL

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

CrimsonSoul wrote:
rp_photo wrote:The plant was 30.06 posted, but since the gun remained in the vehicle at all times, it was never carried under the authority of my CHL. In other words, a CHL would not have been required since the MPA authorizes guns in vehicles.

MPA and CHL don't apply if it's a plant (chemical/refinery) that us gated and has guards at the entrance and exits
Yup!

The most disturbing part for me of the OP's event is that none of the guards found the gun on several inspections.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

C-dub wrote:
CrimsonSoul wrote:

Yup!

The most disturbing part for me of the OP's event is that none of the guards found the gun on several inspections.
I've been driving through refinery and chemical plant gates since 1981, and have been through few inspections that would have found it other than a couple of places that have use sniffing dogs on random occasion. At the facility i just visited, inspection consisted of opening the hood, doors, and glove box, and on one occasion a duffel bag containing a computer monitor was opened. Also, inspections only took place during less than half of my entries and none of the exits, which reflects the random nature at most facilities.

My policy is to only have a gun in the vehicle when parking outside of a guard gate and entering through a badge turnstile, and I would never knowingly "chance it' otherwise.

I do believe that fate was on my side when the assignement was shortened to 2 weeks down from 5, as I may had very well continued being clueless.
CHL since 2/2011

CowboyPilot

Post by CowboyPilot »

If you dont mind indulging my ignorance, what are they looking for specifically on exit? Making sure you're not stealing hazmat or things you could make NBC type devices out of?

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

CowboyPilot wrote:If you dont mind indulging my ignorance, what are they looking for specifically on exit? Making sure you're not stealing hazmat or things you could make NBC type devices out of?
They try to make sure you aren't stealing anything. Also they don't search you going in, just out.
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

CowboyPilot wrote:If you dont mind indulging my ignorance, what are they looking for specifically on exit? Making sure you're not stealing hazmat or things you could make NBC type devices out of?
It doesn't make sense like most of these so-called security measures. Security measures like these are about control, not security.

Anyone who has ever entered an industrial setting knows that with little effort the security measures can be defeated. These industrial measures are no more safe from any type of attack than the twin towers were from airliners.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

ArmedAndPolite

Post by ArmedAndPolite »

While you may not have been breaking any law, I'm sure you want to keep your job.

My dad borrowed my truck for work one day and I forgot to remove 2 extra mags I had in the center console. I called him at work (he works in a plant which forbids such items) and told him.

He came home and said he got the red light. The lady searched the truck's center console, bed (covered) and glove compartment, then he pulled up his pant legs and showed me 2 magazines duck taped to his leg and said "she didn't search me though".

Glad I called him.
12/28/12 Online Application
01/11/13 All documents mailed w/signature confirmation
02/11/13 Plastic in hand
Total time: 48 days

Return to “Never Again!!”