Just saw a guy pull a gun on another guy at the corner store

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BigBangSmallBucks
Posts in topic: 6

Just saw a guy pull a gun on another guy at the corner store

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

So my long time girlfriend and I just witnessed a guy pull a gun on another guy while we were on a beer run to our local corner store. I've had my CHL for about 4 years now and I never leave my apt without it unless I've been drinking and I'm going on a beer run because I never want to put myself in a situation where i have to shoot someone and the cop called to the scene can tell i've been drinking. To make a short story even shorter cooler heads prevailed, they shook hands and the thug hopped in his Kia and sped thru the light. Never again will i drink prior to going on a beer run so I can remained armed. Oh and did i mention that we both left our cell phones at home? :banghead:

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just saw a guy pull a gun on another guy at the corner s

Post by ELB »

Exciting experience!
USAF 1982-2005

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

They shook hands? :shock:

I'm not shaking anyone's hand I had to draw on. Distance distance distance
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Glad you're okay.

Chas.

Topic author
BigBangSmallBucks

C-dub wrote:They shook hands? :shock:

I'm not shaking anyone's hand I had to draw on. Distance distance distance
The guy that drew his weapon was just a hot head, we heard most of the argument and the guy didn't have any reason to pull a gun on him. I just think he was hoping he could apologize and the cops wouldn't be called.

Topic author
BigBangSmallBucks

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Glad you're okay.

Chas.

Thanks.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Yikes!

What about the next time the hot head gets agitated?

Too bad the cops weren't called.

This guy needs to be disarmed and serve time.

PBR

Post by PBR »

had something similar happen few months back maybe little longer. was at whataburger on a late night run and they asked us to pull in front to wait on order. while was up front a black guy walking through went up to a white male who was sitting smoking a cig in front of whataburger, i assume to ask for money but not sure. all the sudden the white guy gets really mouthy loud and pulls up his shirt showing a gun tucked in his waistband (no holster or nothing just tucked in pants). not one to stereo type but the white guy just didnt look to be chl type and if he was he sure didnt handle himself correctly at all. well we did call cops just cause it all looked sort of wrong situation. when they brought out our food we told the lady that the guy had a gun and showed it and that we contacted the police. she said thank you very much and quickly went back in and got manager to lock the door. once that was done we left so not sure how it turned out. both of us was carrying our guns and was ready if something were to happen.
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

"Going to guns", or employing a potentially lethal force option, isn't lawful in social circumstances. An argument is a social encounter. The case you present appears to be a social encounter start to end, and the actor in your C-Store encounter very definitely fits the "thug" moniker you applied in my mind and while this behavior may be typical in thug to thug interactions, it is incredibly risky, provocative and unsafe. If an argument escalates to displays of force (pushing, shoving, etc..., particularly involving a disparity of force) or suddenly devolves into an asocial encounter, it MAY become lawful to meet the situation with a lethal force option. Failing the reasonableness test (would a third party potential juror find the act of employing lethal force reasonable under the circumstances), this sort of behavior is UNACCEPTABLE in general society as well as being ILLEGAL.

I am glad you and your girlfriend are OK, and the lessons of experience were not overly severe. If faced with similar circumstances, the lack of options must have been very frustrating. I'd like to think that I would have been on the horn with the local police as soon as possible afterwards, relaying all the information I could remember. As Abraham points out, this sort of behavior needs to be met with consequences.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Topic author
BigBangSmallBucks

Abraham wrote:Yikes!

What about the next time the hot head gets agitated?

Too bad the cops weren't called.

This guy needs to be disarmed and serve time.
After the hothead left i assume the victim called police, i just didn't stick around to see.

Topic author
BigBangSmallBucks

Middle Age Russ wrote:"Going to guns", or employing a potentially lethal force option, isn't lawful in social circumstances. An argument is a social encounter. The case you present appears to be a social encounter start to end, and the actor in your C-Store encounter very definitely fits the "thug" moniker you applied in my mind and while this behavior may be typical in thug to thug interactions, it is incredibly risky, provocative and unsafe. If an argument escalates to displays of force (pushing, shoving, etc..., particularly involving a disparity of force) or suddenly devolves into an asocial encounter, it MAY become lawful to meet the situation with a lethal force option. Failing the reasonableness test (would a third party potential juror find the act of employing lethal force reasonable under the circumstances), this sort of behavior is UNACCEPTABLE in general society as well as being ILLEGAL.

I am glad you and your girlfriend are OK, and the lessons of experience were not overly severe. If faced with similar circumstances, the lack of options must have been very frustrating. I'd like to think that I would have been on the horn with the local police as soon as possible afterwards, relaying all the information I could remember. As Abraham points out, this sort of behavior needs to be met with consequences.
It's crazy how hot tempered some people can be, the guy pulled his gun over a simple argument/misunderstanding
and if the victim also had a gun the guy in the Kia would've most likely ended up shot when he turned to retrieve his pistol from the car.

Topic author
BigBangSmallBucks

PBR wrote:had something similar happen few months back maybe little longer. was at whataburger on a late night run and they asked us to pull in front to wait on order. while was up front a black guy walking through went up to a white male who was sitting smoking a cig in front of whataburger, i assume to ask for money but not sure. all the sudden the white guy gets really mouthy loud and pulls up his shirt showing a gun tucked in his waistband (no holster or nothing just tucked in pants). not one to stereo type but the white guy just didnt look to be chl type and if he was he sure didnt handle himself correctly at all. well we did call cops just cause it all looked sort of wrong situation. when they brought out our food we told the lady that the guy had a gun and showed it and that we contacted the police. she said thank you very much and quickly went back in and got manager to lock the door. once that was done we left so not sure how it turned out. both of us was carrying our guns and was ready if something were to happen.
This guy was white too and I'm fairly certain he wasn't a CHL holder either, or at least not a responsible one.

Return to “Never Again!!”