Ever vigilant - at the range

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Ever vigilant - at the range

Post by mloamiller »

txcharvel wrote: When I bring friends to shoot I always give them a briefing on what to do and how to act at the range. At first they think I'm crazy with all the rules, but they quickly get it. It's also a good reminder for me.
I do this with my daughters, every time we go, usually in the car on the way. The Four Rules are now accompanied with a great deal of eye-rolling and "Seriously? We're going to do this again?" But they know them, and I have yet to have to correct one of them at the range.
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ever vigilant - at the range

Post by Middle Age Russ »

:iagree:
It's easy to become a bit lax with gun handling when informally shooting alone or with a friend in a more-or-less private setting. Even so, the cardinal rules around muzzle control and trigger control never cease being rules to adhere to. It is essential that all the rules are understood and adhered to when on a public range, and anyone instructing others in the shooting sports -- in any setting -- owes it to themselves and all attendees to conduct a safety briefing before guns are loaded and live fire activities begin. The safety briefing should include discussion of the three NRA rules (or four Col. Cooper rules) and their application on that range that day, range facilities and proper use (safe area, restrooms, etc...), course(s) of fire and whether the range will be run as a "Hot" or "Cold" range that day and what that means, typical range commands that will be employed, expected actions for ALL participants when cease fire is called and who can call a cease fire (anyone, at any time), as well as assignments and procedures in case of emergency. Potential issues are minimized when we we all operate under the same set of expectations.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Return to “Never Again!!”