Uncomfortable situation

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Swoops1
Posts in topic: 1

Uncomfortable situation

Post by Swoops1 »

Try to make this short. After being a TX resident for 2 years decided to get my CHL been waiting 2 months (that's another story). I carry in my car and always have, anyway stopped by my local stop and rob last evening around 7 to pick up a six pack. While I was in there a car pulled up the driver got out but, went to the side of the bldg where there were no security cameras(always watch the display while in these places). When I came out there were 2 guys smoking something in a glass pipe don't know what it was. Anyway I acted like I forgot something turned around and readied my knife which I know how to use so unless they had a gun I was okay. I went to get in my car used the direct approach made eye contact spoke to them. The only part that made me nervous was the transition into my car felt really vulnerable but what else could I do. Next time I will park in a different location, that's all I can think of. Any suggestions in case I get in that situation again.

jmra

Re: Uncomfortable situation

Post by jmra »

Swoops1 wrote:Any suggestions in case I get in that situation again.
Avoid stop and robs. I don't ever recall two thugs smoking a glass pipe in front of our local HEB.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

if you have any around your area, try a drive thru place, like Liquor Barn, think thats one I'm thinking of,
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Sometimes it's best just to turn around get back in your truck and head down the road
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

The good: You were aware of your surroundings as well as ingress/egress from the store, and you carry a knife which allows for another possible force option. Also, you made eye contact with the interesting parties, indicating that you are not likely to be an easy target.

The bad: going to a convenience store in the evening. Given that 7PM isn't dark this time of year, not really as risky as it might have been in darker hours. Also, no ability to carry a handgun yet (glad to hear that is in the works).

The ugly: ingress/egress from a vehicle is always prone to moments of relative vulnerability. Drawing from certain holsters while seated/buckled in a vehicle can likewise be more difficult than standing our sitting outside the vehicle.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Return to “Never Again!!”