Tap, Rack--Or how to not blow up your pistol

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Eric Lamberson
Posts in topic: 2

Tap, Rack--Or how to not blow up your pistol

Post by Eric Lamberson »

I was conducting our monthly Short Range Match when I heard a loud pop instead of a bang as a competitor was completing a stage. I looked up and saw the safety officer walking toward me with the shooter who was holding his left hand with blood pouring through his fingers. His pistol was lying on the ground where it had fallen from his hand.

The shooter's pistol had failed to go into battery and the shooter had aggressively hit the back of the slide with his left palm in an attempt to clear the stoppage. As he did this his left fingers went forward over the top of the slide just as the round detonated in the open ejection port. Fragments of brass severely cut his left index and middle fingers. After examining the shooter’s injured left-hand, a doctor at the scene determined that he was not seriously injured and only had some bloody, but not serious cuts.

When we retrieved and examined the pistol we realized that the remains of the detonated round were still in the ejection port. It was apparent that the round had nosedived into the feed ramp and that in doing so it literally positioned the primer exactly over the extractor. When the shooter slammed the slide forward with his left hand the extractor crushed the primer causing the 9mm round to detonate. If you look at photo #1 you can get an idea of the quantity of brass fragments that struck the shooter’s hand. In photo #2 you can see where the extractor crushed the primer (pistol was a Kahr 9mm). This particular gentleman is very forceful when he manipulates his pistol. Photo #3 show where the force of the detonation forced the bullet into the feed ramp. Photo #4 provides another view.

I have always been somewhat skeptical when I've heard stories of rounds detonating in the ejection port—no longer. In the past, a common response to the slide of a pistol failing to go into battery was striking the rear of the slide. However as we see in this case that may not be a very good idea and indeed could be very dangerous. In my classes, I teach that the proper response to a click instead of a bang is to forcefully tap the magazine and rack the slide—tap, rack—this will often clear the malfunction. If it does not, the proper response is to lock the slide back, aggressively strip the magazine out, and then reload the pistol. After reloading, if it will not shoot you probably have a broken pistol that's not going to be fixed easily on the spot. If you are under fire, the proper response at that point is to aggressively depart the area or take other necessary action.
9mm-burst-w.jpg
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

Topbuilder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tap, Rack--Or how to not blow up your pistol

Post by Topbuilder »

Good to know. I bet he is less forceful in the future... :fire
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Waidaminit Eric. Are you saying he tried to slam the rear of the slide back into battery with the palm of the hand with a live round in the chamber?????

He obviously did not know the first thing about gun safety. But he was a competitor?? Who would attempt such a dimmwit thing? A live round in the chamber begs to be extracted in a case of a "pop" by racking the slide back & ejecting the malfunctioning round.

I've never heard of such a stunt. But then again, I don't have any experience in competition shooting. Maybe in the heat of competition a lapse in safe gun judgement? I dunno.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

loktite

Post by loktite »

Was this directly off of a magazine load? Or was it feeding one round to the next? I could see GENTLY pushing the slide if he somehow thought he might have ridden the slide slightly on a magazine load... but if it was one round to the next...ugh.... Tap, rack . Thank you for the pictures and story, will be sure to pass this example on.
NRA Endowment Member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

The problem appears to be that the injured shooter used the procedure for a slide that is just slightly out of battery and the round is in the chamber for a failure to feed situation where the round had not begun to enter the chamber.

A Tap / Rack should have been the solution.

Tap / Bang is clearly not.

That had to have hurt.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

SPORTS
Slap Magazine
Pull Charging handle
Observe port
Release Charging handle
Tap Charging handle
Squeeze trigger

works for a pistol too.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
Eric Lamberson
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Eric Lamberson »

I believe he thought he had an out of battery condition and that the solution was to hit the back of the slide. He clearly had a different problem. Unfortunately, at the time I was more worried about stopping the bleeding and the condition of his hand so I did not ask him what he was thinking.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

Return to “Never Again!!”