So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Don't point gun at head when demonstrating gun's safety features

Post by philip964 »

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/ari ... re-7624980

Apparently the gun has double safety's. My guess is all of them are disabled when you pull the trigger.

Guns and alcohol do not mix.

JALLEN

Re: Don't point gun at head when demonstrating gun's safety features

Post by JALLEN »

A newly graduated SEAL, having graduated that very day, intent on impressing a new acquaintance of the female persuasion, went back at his place from the bar and blew his brains out demonstrating to her how safe his pistol was. With as much weapons training as these guys get, you would think things like this would not happen, but it did, 4-5 years ago when I lived in Coronado.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ScottDLS »

JALLEN wrote:A newly graduated SEAL, having graduated that very day, intent on impressing a new acquaintance of the female persuasion, went back at his place from the bar and blew his brains out demonstrating to her how safe his pistol was. With as much weapons training as these guys get, you would think things like this would not happen, but it did, 4-5 years ago when I lived in Coronado.
I wonder how much training these guys get in BUDS re: small arms. My guess is most of it comes when they get to the teams. My experience with the Navy in general is that they are terrible with rifles and handguns. Worse than Boy Scouts. But that was in the late 80's, early 90's. Hopefully better now.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

ScottDLS wrote:
JALLEN wrote:A newly graduated SEAL, having graduated that very day, intent on impressing a new acquaintance of the female persuasion, went back at his place from the bar and blew his brains out demonstrating to her how safe his pistol was. With as much weapons training as these guys get, you would think things like this would not happen, but it did, 4-5 years ago when I lived in Coronado.
I wonder how much training these guys get in BUDS re: small arms. My guess is most of it comes when they get to the teams. My experience with the Navy in general is that they are terrible with rifles and handguns. Worse than Boy Scouts. But that was in the late 80's, early 90's. Hopefully better now.
I agree, having been in the Navy, enlisted reservist and officer. It was pretty basic, and short.

You aren't a SEAL when you complete BUD/S. There is another SQT after that. Then you get your pin.

BUD/S is 3 phases, individual conditioning, combat diving and land warfare. First phase is where you prove you want to be there, and they want you there. From what I saw, living down the road from NSW, and having many SEAL acquaintances and friends, BUD/S is more akin to a fraternity rush. If they don't like you, they can make it impossible to complete each qual and either you drop out or you go to review boards and get dropped.

They get a lot of weapons and explosives training in the land warfare phase. You have to be an excellent shooter. I never could get one if those guys to tell me what their qualification standard is, but for SAS, using a 226, you have routinely to put all 5 shots in a playing card from 25 yards, while rolling on the ground! Try that at IDPA! I figure it is similar.

The emphasis on shooting has increased since Viet Nam era. My b-I-l, who retired as an O-6 SEAL awhile back, told me that they mostly snuck around in the jungles at night gathering Intel and kidnapping selected targets. The emphasis was on stealth and speed. "If you had to fire your weapon, it meant somebody had [expletive deleted] up." Nobody knew they were there until they weren't there.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

HKsig

Post by HKsig »

I can't understand why one would point a gun at his head to prove it wasn't loaded. Point it to the ground or the sky not your friggin head or someone else's head.

I remember the case of one person who removed the magazine out of his 380 said see? Not loaded and proceeded to point it at his head and pull the trigger.

Is stupidity that prevalent?

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

Sounds like a case of liquid stupidity.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

HKsig wrote:I can't understand why one would point a gun at his head to prove it wasn't loaded. Point it to the ground or the sky not your friggin head or someone else's head.

I remember the case of one person who removed the magazine out of his 380 said see? Not loaded and proceeded to point it at his head and pull the trigger.

Is stupidity that prevalent?
Yes it is. Check out the normal distribution of intelligence. Roughly 15% of the population has an IQ less than 85. Another 35% below 100. Only 15% of the population has an IQ above 115.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IQ_distribution.svg
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

In the movie, "Alien 3", one of the prison guards was nicknamed 85 by the inmates.

As the plot developed, Sigourney Weaver kept inquiring why he had such a nickname.

He was very reluctant and quite embarrassed to reveal the particulars regarding his nickname, but ultimately disclosed it had been derived from his I.Q. score.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Not knowing anything about IQ scores, what does being above or below 115 signify? Does that just mean you are above the standard deviation zone for "average"?

Topic author
philip964

Post by philip964 »

IQ is not important, finding your talent is what is important.

Everyone has a talent- exploit it.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

MechAg94 wrote:Not knowing anything about IQ scores, what does being above or below 115 signify? Does that just mean you are above the standard deviation zone for "average"?
https://www.123test.com/interpretation-of-an-iq-score/
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “Never Again!!”