So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

This wife's fatal midnight snack

Post by philip964 »

http://www.click2houston.com/news/san-a ... y/35770208

SA man mistakenly shoots wife in the dark after he hears noises coming from the kitchen at 4 am.

Topic author
philip964

Re: This wife's fatal midnight snack

Post by philip964 »

philip964 wrote:http://www.click2houston.com/news/san-a ... y/35770208

SA man mistakenly shoots wife in the dark after he hears noises coming from the kitchen at 4 am.
( I'm taking liberties with this story as article says front of the house, I'm thinking the flash of light was the refrigerator door opening )

RIP Know your target and what is behind it.

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Having a flashlight along with his firearm could of saved his wife, that of course if it was not intentional.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

More details would help me decide if this was a mistake and or negligence on his part.

Personally, I get woke up in the middle of the night by a sound, I'm going to first check on my wife and see if its not her. And if it worries me enough to go check on it, I'm going to wake her up and let her know first.

Of course its always easy to Monday morning quarterback things, and he has to live with this mistake for the rest of his life.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

goose
Posts in topic: 1

Post by goose »

Pariah3j wrote:More details would help me decide if this was a mistake and or negligence on his part.

Personally, I get woke up in the middle of the night by a sound, I'm going to first check on my wife and see if its not her. And if it worries me enough to go check on it, I'm going to wake her up and let her know first.

Of course its always easy to Monday morning quarterback things, and he has to live with this mistake for the rest of his life.
This is where I am at. My very first checks would be the wife and the kids. The wife would be put on station, phone in hand. I would probably have to hear one of my own downstairs screaming before I would go down there alone without verifying everybody else's well being.

It is a tragedy no matter what.
NRA Endowment - NRA RSO - Μολὼν λάβε

doncb

Post by doncb »

We have a large dog, so if someone tried to break in at night she'd probably be the first to know about it. I've been woken up by a strange noise though where the dog didn't act concerned but the FIRST thing I do is to see if my wife is still in bed. There's more to the story but what happened is tragic.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

chuck j

Post by chuck j »

This is a situation that bothers me . I'm a single parent and my daughters bedroom is on the other end of the house . If there were an intruder or whatever it could get tricky . We have a full size Rat Terrier , she rarely barks unless there is something to bark about . About two years ago she woke me up around two in the morning and sounded like she had a coon treed in the living room , she had never done that . I came out of bed with a 9mm and made it to the living room . I stood by the doorway a while trying to detect movement or sound but there was none . Turned on the lights and went through the house , daughter never woke up and there was no one .

All the time I was at that doorway I kept wondering if my daughter would try and come into the room , kind of scary .

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

chuck j wrote:This is a situation that bothers me . I'm a single parent and my daughters bedroom is on the other end of the house . If there were an intruder or whatever it could get tricky . We have a full size Rat Terrier , she rarely barks unless there is something to bark about . About two years ago she woke me up around two in the morning and sounded like she had a coon treed in the living room , she had never done that . I came out of bed with a 9mm and made it to the living room . I stood by the doorway a while trying to detect movement or sound but there was none . Turned on the lights and went through the house , daughter never woke up and there was no one .

All the time I was at that doorway I kept wondering if my daughter would try and come into the room , kind of scary .
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Sounds more to me like the Texas version of the "Swiss Divorce".
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Prayers sent for this man , family and friends.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 »

I came in late one night from work. My wife had already left for work and told my daughter to get a knife and stay in her room till I came home. They had called me and told me she was leaving. I told her I'd be home in about 10 minutes. Unlocked the front door and came in. Daughter came running in the living room with a butcher knife. I always open the door and announce my presence in similar situations now.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I know there are people that don't like dogs but I can count on them to alert me to strangers, if my wife got up in the middle of the night, the dogs would go with her to mooch a snack, now if they are loosing their minds and and tearing somebody to pieces then I'd do the only thing humane and put the intruder out of their misery!

As stated above, KNOW OUR TARGET, KNOW WHAT'S BEHIND YOUR TARGET!

Seriously what man doesn't recognize his wife's form? very sceptical on this shooting
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

loscar141

Post by loscar141 »

crazy2medic wrote:I know there are people that don't like dogs but I can count on them to alert me to strangers, if my wife got up in the middle of the night, the dogs would go with her to mooch a snack, now if they are loosing their minds and and tearing somebody to pieces then I'd do the only thing humane and put the intruder out of their misery!

As stated above, KNOW OUR TARGET, KNOW WHAT'S BEHIND YOUR TARGET!

Seriously what man doesn't recognize his wife's form? very sceptical on this shooting
Yep My pit bulls are my first line of defense,I have two of them, and I would hope their barking. would be enough to discourage any one from breaking in.
But on the chance it does not, I worry cause I dont want them to be harmed by some one determined to get in my house.

I am comfortable knowing that my dogs will alert me and protect my home from intruders, as they have been tested before.

My dogs are trained to do the basics, sit, stay, lay, and shake, they have no guard dog training, but about a year ago my dogs were growling at the door so i went upstairs to grab my gun, just in case. While I was upstairs I look out the window and seen that some one broke into my car I could see a light from a cell phone inside. so i had my brother call the cops while i went outside. I shined my 400 lumens light on him and told him to get out of my car and get on the floor. He yelled back some obscenity. When my dogs heard the guy yell at me they ran out the front door, straight to guy and started to bite him on the arms, I have never seen some run away so fast. my dog came back as soon as I called them back. They are trained to not go out the front door when its open and I Have seen cats, kids, people go by and all they do look. But that night they broke the rules, didn't need training to do what they did, that was instincts to protect their owner.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

This is one of the hazards of "can I shoot" thinking instead of the "is shooting the only way to preserve innocent life in this situation" approach.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Javier730 wrote:Having a flashlight along with his firearm could of saved his wife, that of course if it was not intentional.
That last part might be the key.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Return to “Never Again!!”