So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 2

Firefighter mistaken for intruder and murdered

Post by philip964 »

http://katv.com/news/local/volunteer-fi ... g-shooting

Wife calls 911 after husband has seizure. Responding volenteer firefighter is murdered by man as he comes out of seizure.

RIP

Big on the anti gun forums right now.

Unocat
Banned

Re: Firefighter mistaken for intruder and murdered

Post by Unocat »

Poor guy, both of them.
But let's be real, this is a odd corner case. You would have a better chance of being struck by lightning while holding the winning powerball ticket.

But of course the left anti-gun loonies will leech on to any story that involves a gun... Well except for those that are used in self defense, those don't count.
NRA lifetime member
Combat Veteran
"carthago delenda est"

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

"Murdered" seems like an awfully strong word at this point. It is a tragic situation and it wouldn't surprise me if some charges are filed but murder seems strong. My opinion may change if I learn more details.

I think perpetuating this as murder plays right into the antigunner's hand.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 1

Post by suthdj »

I am going to go down a dark path and say more to the story like wife "spending time" with said firefighter, but that's just my twisted suspicions.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Rest in Peace my Brother.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

I would not be surprised if the man was no-billed by a grand jury or acquitted if it makes it to trial. He was obviously confused having just come out of a seizure and could have thought the fireman was an intruder without fully recognizing him as a fireman/EMT.

IIRC, back when I was in the Navy, a man could not be held responsible for his actions within something like the first 10-15 seconds of being awakened. Not from when he woke on his own, but if he was awakened by someone. Also, IIRC, this arose because of people being startled when roused from sleep and swinging out at whatever. A tragic incident to be sure, but barring any other circumstances, I would not be surprised if he was acquitted or no-billed.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Who has a gun handy for when they come out of a seizure? This doesn't smell right at all.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

baldeagle wrote:Who has a gun handy for when they come out of a seizure? This doesn't smell right at all.
Maybe someone who is armed at all times, including at home, as some on this very forum profess to be? :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Pawpaw wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Who has a gun handy for when they come out of a seizure? This doesn't smell right at all.
Maybe someone who is armed at all times, including at home, as some on this very forum profess to be? :tiphat:
I was wondering that same thing as Baldeagle, but then here I sit with mine on my hip wondering if my wife would think to remove it if something similar happened to me before the EMTs arrived. It might not be at the forefront or her concerns.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Two of my friends have had seizures in my presence. They were no shape to draw and fire a gun for well over 30 minutes after the seizure ended.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

WTR wrote:Two of my friends have had seizures in my presence. They were no shape to draw and fire a gun for well over 30 minutes after the seizure ended.
There are lots of different kinds of seizures.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

C-dub wrote:I would not be surprised if the man was no-billed by a grand jury or acquitted if it makes it to trial. He was obviously confused having just come out of a seizure and could have thought the fireman was an intruder without fully recognizing him as a fireman/EMT.

IIRC, back when I was in the Navy, a man could not be held responsible for his actions within something like the first 10-15 seconds of being awakened. Not from when he woke on his own, but if he was awakened by someone. Also, IIRC, this arose because of people being startled when roused from sleep and swinging out at whatever. A tragic incident to be sure, but barring any other circumstances, I would not be surprised if he was acquitted or no-billed.
How many times each night in the Navy are people awakened by others to go on watch? I had no idea it was so dangerous.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

C-dub wrote:
WTR wrote:Two of my friends have had seizures in my presence. They were no shape to draw and fire a gun for well over 30 minutes after the seizure ended.
There are lots of different kinds of seizures.
I agree. One of my friends is blind and his was caused by light impulses his optic nerve was emitting. My other friend had an epileptic seizure ( was far more severe). However, both of them were left "washed" out for a prolonged period of time. Neither one just "poped" out of the seizure and was ready to preform. Something smells.

Daddio-on-patio

Post by Daddio-on-patio »

As a first responder I am always a very warm condition orange until I feel the scene is safe. Many-a-time have I entered a residence and secured a firearm away from the patient/occupants. As for post-seizure mental status it can very from unresponsive, confused, hostile, to nearly perfectly coherent. Our agency emailed this story to us all to reinforce or scene awareness.

God's blessings to all involved.
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

I was kinda wondering the same thing...who is able to pop out of any kind of seizure, instantly grab their gun and with enough clarity and thought perceive a danger, take aim and fire? But the article said the fireman was in the doorway, so maybe the man had a few moments to recover and then saw the fireman in the doorway and thought he was a threat...but didn't know it was the same guy who helped him?
If this is what happened, it is very tragic...well, it's tragic anyway.

Return to “Never Again!!”