CHL and the house call..

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
andywhite.net
Posts in topic: 5

Post by andywhite.net »

Thanks for the input, everyone!

I think I've made my (private) decision.

I've been providing my service for 23 years, and I've never had a problem with any of my customers. And it's a service little kids don't have any of the skills necessary with which to help.

And, jhutto, thanks for the compliment.

Once again I'll say that this is a great forum, and y'all make it so. I'm happy to be aboad.

mrbug
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrbug »

I have been following this thread all the way along. I own and operate my own pest control business. This thread has been addressing a lot of the issues I have been wrestling with since I made the decision to apply for my CHL. I have been in the pest control business for over 18 years now. I have several of those pesky kids who followed me around while I was performing my service as customers now. I always answered their questions no matter how silly they might have seemed and interacted with them. As a service person who sees a family on an average of 4 times a year I am in many homes seen like an extended member of the family.

One of the big issues I have been trying to figure out is how to conceal my XD45 compact in a holster in such a way that will not be uncomfortable while driving which I seem to do about half of my day and still not print. Part of the equation also involves being able to dress in a way that will not roast me in the heat of the summer as part of my day is spent working outdoors.

The final straw that sent me on my CHL quest was what happened at Virginia Tech. While I know this was a gun free zone it brought back memories of the horrible acts committed in the Luby's at the Killeen Mall. My best friend was one of the EMS responders who went in after the killing to triage and treat the wounded that he could. Bottom line is one good citizen can prevent death of other innocents if that citizen is prepared to stop a bad guy from killing more people. I hope and pray I never am in that situation but I stand steadfast should I ever be called upon.
How we conduct ourselves defines us. At the end of the day we answer to ourselves. At the end of our days we answer to God.

Topic author
andywhite.net

Post by andywhite.net »

MrB, I betcha you're not the only CHLer motivated by the tragedy at VT.

:sad:

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Right2Carry »

To compare me to anti is laughable at best. The fact is I do service jobs on the side and not once would I think about entering someones private residence armed, its a little thing called RESPECT. I don't know how they feel about guns and their home is PRIVATE property, not a public business.

The problem as I see it is some of the people on this forum want to be RESPECTED for their right, but seem to have a problem with RESPECTING others and their rights.

Unless you own your own company or work for a small time operation I doubt company policy allows you to carry into a customers home.

How would you feel if you printed or exposed your firearm and the homeowner then requests that you leave because they don't like firearms. What do you think is going to happen when they call asking for another appointment and requesting a different service person. I think the minute they state the service person was armed in their house, the company will immediately say it is against their policy and said service person will be looking for a new job.

IMHO this whole issue revolves around RESPECT. Just because I have a CHL doesn't mean it is always wise to carry a weapon. I asked in another post for someone to provide statistics on how many service personel have been robbed, killed, raped, murdered, while on a call in someones house. Pizza drivers are excluded because they are in a different category.

Show me some statistics that say repair personel are at a high risk of being attacked by homeowners.

I guess I am an anti because I think a mans home is his CASTLE. I think some of the people on here are confusing a business that serves the public with a persons PRIVATE HOME.

I guess I just have more respect for the people who I provide a service to than others do. IMHO, JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN, DOESN'T MEAN YOU ALWAYS SHOULD.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Topic author
andywhite.net

Post by andywhite.net »

For the record, I'm self-employed. :cool:

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 18

Post by BrassMonkey »

Must be nice... I have to go work at a hospital where we are not allowed to carry... Parking lots are allowed though :-D
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

phddan
Posts in topic: 12

Post by phddan »

IMHO, JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN, DOESN'T MEAN YOU ALWAYS SHOULD.

Who is that famous ol man that said,
"Carry 24/7 or guess right!"

Dan

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RPBrown »

Okay its my turn. I've been watching this for a while and time to include my .02 for what its worth.

I've been in the a/c business for 35 years. Been robbed twice while at work. First time about 30 years ago. It was a commercial building, broad daylight, out on the equipment pad in front of the parking lot. Anyone could have seen it.

Second time is what made me decide to get my CHL. Robbed as I got out of my truck in front of a customers home.

You bet I carry in someones home. no one has ever known. As far as respect, if someone has a 30.06 posted or verbally informs me, I will respect their wishes and leave it in the truck. Otherwise its with me.

As far as the company knowing, my boss not only knows, he paid for my class.

I will say this though, all of our employees have had background checks and drug tests. No one with a felony works for us. Every employee has an ID badge from the company that does the checks and testing. This is well advertised.

The key is to remain concealed.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Right2Carry,

I, too, think it is ironic that your handle, your signature, and your views are in such wide disagreement.

But, beside that, you have said the same thing over and over and over, and I don't think you have swayed anyone to your side. It's getting tiresome now. Please, let it go.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

gmckinl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gmckinl »

Andy, here's what you need. The answer to all your problems...
Image :smilelol5:

P.S. yes Andy, I am the Greg from your class!
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

Shiny!!!
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Topic author
andywhite.net

Post by andywhite.net »

gmckinl wrote:Andy, here's what you need. The answer to all your problems...

Insert Dragnet theme song here. :grin:

Hey, Greg! Great to see you here!

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

gmckinl wrote:Andy, here's what you need. The answer to all your problems...

Here we go again. :deadhorse:
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

Maybe this should be locked?
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 17

Post by Right2Carry »

llwatson wrote:Right2Carry,

I, too, think it is ironic that your handle, your signature, and your views are in such wide disagreement.

But, beside that, you have said the same thing over and over and over, and I don't think you have swayed anyone to your side. It's getting tiresome now. Please, let it go.
There is nothing at all ironic about my signature, the fact remains that everyman should be able to carry, does that extend into my castle, that depends on the person.

My whole point to this conversation was that someone responded that it shouldn't matter if a CHL person is carrying in your home they are trustworthy, and yet not one person who made that statement could offer any way to verify the claim.

I beleive in dealing with facts and if someone is going to make a claim that you should beleive a person is trustworthy just because he says he has a CHL, well than I have some ocean front property in AZ.

I will tell you something else. What is more on the rise, service people being robbed and attacked making service calls or home invasions? My chances are greater that the guy showing up at the door is going to rob me or worse, than of a service person showing up for a service call.

BG's pretending to be LEO's, and it won't be long before they figure out that they can pretend to be service personel either.

The biggest question is who is at more of a risk of something bad happening? The service man or the homeowner? IMHO I think the homeowner since home invasions are up all over.

Lets just agree to disagree on this topic.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Return to “Never Again!!”