Oil and Water and Alcohol and Guns

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Texian
Posts in topic: 1

Oil and Water and Alcohol and Guns

Post by Texian »

We sure don't need news stories like this: http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/ ... bilene-bar
:banghead:
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Ed4032

Re: Oil and Water and Alcohol and Guns

Post by Ed4032 »

It must've been unloaded
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

bigity

Post by bigity »

"Abilene Police say the unidentified victim does have a license to carry."

Had.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

Ed4032 wrote:It must've been unloaded
It appears he was though! :lol:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Eric Lamberson
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Eric Lamberson »

". . . attempting to show off a handgun when it went off."

No, the idiot placed his finger on the trigger, pointed the pistol at his leg, and then proceeded to pull the trigger.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

My one problem with this story is the reference to the guy who shot himself in the leg as a "victim". He is not a victim. He is just an idiot.

At least he didn't manage to hurt anyone else.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

puma guy wrote:
Ed4032 wrote:It must've been unloaded
It appears he was though! :lol:
It's unloaded now! :biggrinjester:
NRA Endowment Member

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

It's a unfortunate incident (and 'press'), to be sure.

Not much detail in the story. We are not able to determine whether or not the 'drinking' contributed to the Negligence or not. The man might have had a single beer with a meal an hour earlier.

A combination of poor decision making (showing off the gun) and poor weapons handling (managed to discharge the gun) is the real story here.

We can find numerous accounts of ND's in all kinds of settings (at home, at the range, at work, etc...). I will stop short of labeling the man an "idiot", but certainly a serious lack of 'thought' went into this action of his.

Since the man was the recipient of his own bullet...maybe a painful and expensive lesson was learned.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

flintknapper wrote:It's a unfortunate incident (and 'press'), to be sure.

Not much detail in the story. We are not able to determine whether or not the 'drinking' contributed to the Negligence or not. The man might have had a single beer with a meal an hour earlier.

A combination of poor decision making (showing off the gun) and poor weapons handling (managed to discharge the gun) is the real story here.

We can find numerous accounts of ND's in all kinds of settings (at home, at the range, at work, etc...). I will stop short of labeling the man an "idiot", but certainly a serious lack of 'thought' went into this action of his.

Since the man was the recipient of his own bullet...maybe a painful and expensive lesson was learned.
:iagree:
I have seen stone cold sober LEOs do similar things. One was at the range and put a round through the open trunk of his car, after "unloading" the gun. (gas tanks don't explode when shot they just leak) :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Jusme wrote:

I have seen stone cold sober LEOs do similar things. One was at the range and put a round through the open trunk of his car, after "unloading" the gun. (gas tanks don't explode when shot they just leak) :biggrinjester:
They only explode in Hollywood "rlol"

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

puma guy wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Yeah my department couldn't afford the Hollywood version gas tanks. But the paperwork he had to fill out was extensive. He did have a funny look on his face when everyone ran over to make sure he was alright. :oops: :eek6 "rlol"

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Jusme wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Yeah my department couldn't afford the Hollywood version gas tanks. But the paperwork he had to fill out was extensive. He did have a funny look on his face when everyone ran over to make sure he was alright. :oops: :eek6 "rlol"
Not to hijack but I learned in my firefighting days that there's one component on cars these days that will definitely explode in a fire. I was in the refinery fire brigade and we didn't really deal with vehicle fires. We got a call for one that was burning under the hood and the ground from a fuel fire. We approached the front of the car the bumper shock exploded and a piece of it knocked a chunk out the asphalt in front of a guy.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

puma guy wrote:
Jusme wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Not to hijack but I learned in my firefighting days that there's one component on cars these days that will definitely explode in a fire. I was in the refinery fire brigade and we didn't really deal with vehicle fires. We got a call for one that was burning under the hood and the ground from a fuel fire. We approached the front of the car the bumper shock exploded and a piece of it knocked a chunk out the asphalt in front of a guy.
Yep and they are loud!

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:My one problem with this story is the reference to the guy who shot himself in the leg as a "victim". He is not a victim. He is just an idiot.
I disagree. He is a victim... a victim of his own stupidity. :roll:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

puma guy wrote:Not to hijack but I learned in my firefighting days that there's one component on cars these days that will definitely explode in a fire. I was in the refinery fire brigade and we didn't really deal with vehicle fires. We got a call for one that was burning under the hood and the ground from a fuel fire. We approached the front of the car the bumper shock exploded and a piece of it knocked a chunk out the asphalt in front of a guy.
I remember a story from several years ago that a female firefighter stepped in front of a burning car when one of those things blew. As I recall, the bumper practically shattered both of her legs and she spent about a year recuperating.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “Never Again!!”