Almost pulled my gun at HEB.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Almost pulled my gun at HEB.

Post by Keith B »

Doors can be configured to unlock all, only driver, or none by the owner. Should just have to go into a menu on your vehicle driver information panel. Your owners manual will tell you how.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

KLB

Post by KLB »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does things like this. By "this," I mean try to get into the wrong car.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Keith B wrote:Doors can be configured to unlock all, only driver, or none by the owner. Should just have to go into a menu on your vehicle driver information panel. Your owners manual will tell you how.
Unless you drive a BMW. Great cars but not very customizable by the owner.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote:There appears to be ways to do that without pulling a fuse on many vehicles.

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid= ... 4.2738j0j7
:thumbs2: :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Deltaboy »

Yep we will being seeing the dealer soon to get that feature fixed. I just glad it all worked out. Thanks everyone.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Read the owners manual thats how i learned to do mine.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

mescobar_rpls

Post by mescobar_rpls »

So about 12 yrs ago, my wife and I were getting dinner. We came out of the restaurant to go home. I unlocked our minivan with the key, get in and try to start the vehicle. It did not start. I began cussing, then noticed that the van was quite a bit messier than I remembered. We both look around and realize that it was not our van.

It was the same make, model, year and color. The outside keys worked the locks, wow!

I went back inside the restaurant and located the owners and explained the situation, which was probably overkill, but oh well.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

mescobar_rpls wrote:So about 12 yrs ago, my wife and I were getting dinner. We came out of the restaurant to go home. I unlocked our minivan with the key, get in and try to start the vehicle. It did not start. I began cussing, then noticed that the van was quite a bit messier than I remembered. We both look around and realize that it was not our van.

It was the same make, model, year and color. The outside keys worked the locks, wow!

I went back inside the restaurant and located the owners and explained the situation, which was probably overkill, but oh well.
A lot of Fords used to be like that. I don't know how many models are now. A father of a family I was friends with back in the 80's worked for Ford at the Mahwah plant in NJ. They had 5-6 fords of different models and years from the 70's and into the 80's. One set of keys worked in at least 4 of them.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

mescobar_rpls wrote:So about 12 yrs ago, my wife and I were getting dinner. We came out of the restaurant to go home. I unlocked our minivan with the key, get in and try to start the vehicle. It did not start. I began cussing, then noticed that the van was quite a bit messier than I remembered. We both look around and realize that it was not our van.

That happened to a friend of mine in college, except his car didn't have separate door and ignition keys. The guy had parked next to my friend's car... Same model/year/color/trim/interior/etc...

Never did see the other car again. I guess it must've belonged to someone who didn't live there.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

This collection of stories shows just how common it is to have this problem when you drive just one or two cars.

Consider for a moment the challenges we frequent travelers face when every place we go we're in a rental with a different make, model, color, and tag and not at the top of our game from a combination of long hours fatigue and jet lag.

If it weren't for the wireless unlock function that also flashes the lights, we'd be yanking on wrong doors every couple of trips.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

rentz

Post by rentz »

i went to the wrong car just about a month ago, we were leaving the store and there was a car that looked identical to the wifes parked just a few spots down from where hers actually was.
car is all keyless so im grabbing the spot that opens the trunk by touch and it wont open and im groaning saying great your keyless entry isnt working now we have to take it to the dealer, then she glances down and notices it has different wheels and we realize OOOOPS wrong car.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

C-dub wrote:

A lot of Fords used to be like that. I don't know how many models are now. A father of a family I was friends with back in the 80's worked for Ford at the Mahwah plant in NJ. They had 5-6 fords of different models and years from the 70's and into the 80's. One set of keys worked in at least 4 of them.
It wasn't just Ford. About 1970, a friend & I went to the rec center in his mother's Pontiac station wagon to play some basketball. When we came out, he couldn't find his keys. Sure enough, they were hanging in the ignition. On a whim, I pulled out the key to my '55 Chevy and unlocked the door. Just to see if it would work, he used my key to start it and we drove home with his keys in his pocket.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I had a new 76 Ford F-150 explorer (I started driving when I was 3). My Brother and I went out to eat. When we left I walked straight to the truck and was trying to unlock it. The man inside the truck did not appreciate it at all. His truck was the same everything except a year older. My truck was stolen and never to be found. Those weren't the days.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

This happened when I was a kid. My parents had a new 1975 Ford LTD. She had taken me to the Dr. and afterward we left and got halfway home before realizing we were in the wrong car. The car was the same year, make, model , color, everything, identical. She noticed grocery bags in the back seat and turned around.

We get to the Dr's office parking lot and sitting there is our car, in close proximity to where we had got in to the wrong car. She parked and went in. The lady whose car we had taken was not even aware of what happened. We had a good laugh but our keys worked in both car doors and ignition. Scary. That was an issue with Ford at that time. Sometimes keys worked on other cars.

Years later I found a set of old keys and for grins I tried it in my Uncles 1991 Ford F-150 Pick Up. I was able to unlock the door and start it right up! :shock:
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Keith B wrote:Doors can be configured to unlock all, only driver, or none by the owner. Should just have to go into a menu on your vehicle driver information panel. Your owners manual will tell you how.
Unless you drive a BMW. Great cars but not very customizable by the owner.
I've been through four BMWs and all could be customized as described in this thread. You might check the manual or with your dealer.

Return to “Never Again!!”