73 year old Florida woman shot dead in citizens police academy demonstration

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 73 year old Florida woman shot dead in citizens police academy demonstration

Post by nightmare69 »

Sounds like it was force on force training using sim rounds. The guns used for these sim rounds have the same weight and size of a Glock 17 and function just like the real firearm. Only difference is a blue slide. Anytime we use sim guns in training you put on high gear suit and have to empty your duty belt of ALL metal. We are patted down and wanded before entering the training room.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 73 year old Florida woman shot dead in citizens police academy demonstration

Post by RogueUSMC »

Excaliber wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
parabelum wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
Beiruty wrote:While clearing and making gun safe. I speculate this what happened
He racked the pistol, eject a bullet BEFORE removing the magazine.
Removed the magazine and declared the pistol safe. It was Glock with no manual safety
And, the rest is will go in the annals of the news magazines.
Wouldn't have to be a Glock. A lot of firearms sold specifically to police don't have the no magazine lockout.
It was a revolver.

"Lewis said that the department was unaware that live ammunition existed for the revolver he also said he was not sure how the fact that the gun was loaded was missed. He said that it was the department's belief that only blanks were available to the officer using the weapon."

http://www.news-press.com/story/news/cr ... /88500140/
I've never seen or handled a blank, but would it look any different loaded into the weapon?

I can understand the additional drama/realism of using blanks, but I think we've shown here that it's an unneeded risk. Add the sound effects via some speakers if needed.
There's a good possibility the officer didn't know the difference between a blank and a live round.

The use of blanks at close range can also cause very serious injury and should not have been even considered under the circumstances described.

Everyone involved in planning or approving this tragedy was woefully negligent and likely ignorant.
In boot, we had a recruit shot with a blank from about 5 feet. He had more than one visit to the doc to get all the little pieces of carbon, powder, etc. removed from his face.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

Excaliber wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
parabelum wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
Beiruty wrote:While clearing and making gun safe. I speculate this what happened
Removed the magazine and declared the pistol safe. It was Glock with no manual safety
Wouldn't have to be a Glock. A lot of firearms sold specifically to police don't have the no magazine lockout.
It was a revolver.

"Lewis said that the department was unaware that live ammunition existed for the revolver he also said he was not sure how the fact that the gun was loaded was missed. He said that it was the department's belief that only blanks were available to the officer using the weapon."

I've never seen or handled a blank, but would it look any different loaded into the weapon?

I can understand the additional drama/realism of using blanks, but I think we've shown here that it's an unneeded risk. Add the sound effects via some speakers if needed.
There's a good possibility the officer didn't know the difference between a blank and a live round.

The use of blanks at close range can also cause very serious injury and should not have been even considered under the circumstances described.

Everyone involved in planning or approving this tragedy was woefully negligent and likely ignorant.

Exactly, blanks are loud, and even the propellant at close range can and has caused injuries. We only used blanks in training outdoors, for our practicals, and never at close range. They do look, and feel different, I can't imagine loading a live round and mistaking it for a blank.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

wrinkles

Post by wrinkles »

I still remember this from many years ago. Blanks are very dangerous. This was a very badly thought out training session. Many mistakes made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

TexasTornado wrote:
parabelum wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
It was a revolver.

Blue guns are solid plastic so they do not function. They can be molded to look like any type of firearm.

NRA Endowment Member

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

TexasTornado wrote:...

The ones I've handled were either crimped or used a cardboard or plastic plug. Within a few feet the plug is very dangerous. Even the crimped ones spew out particles and are dangerous within a foot or two.

I suppose a wad cutter round could be mistaken for a plugged blank with just a quick glance although the ones I saw had a bright blue plug.

And, caveat, this was over twenty-five years ago.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Excaliber wrote:The use of blanks at close range can also cause very serious injury and should not have been even considered under the circumstances described.

Back in the 1980s, actor Jon-Erik Hexum accidentally killed himself on the set of the TV show Cover Up.
On October 12, 1984, the cast and crew of Cover Up were filming the seventh episode of the series, "Golden Opportunity", on Stage 17 of the 20th Century Fox lot. One of the scenes filmed that day called for Hexum's character to load bullets into a .44 Magnum handgun, so he was provided with a functional real gun and live blanks. When the scene did not play as the director wanted it to play in the master shot, there was a delay in filming. Hexum became restless and impatient during the delay and began playing around to lighten the mood. Apparently, he had unloaded all but one (blank) round, spun it, and, apparently simulating Russian roulette with what he thought was a harmless weapon, at 5:15 p.m., he put the revolver to his right temple and pulled the trigger.

Hexum was apparently unaware that his actions were dangerous. Blanks use paper or plastic wadding to seal gunpowder into the cartridge, and this wadding is propelled from the barrel of the gun with enough force to cause injury if the weapon is fired within a few feet of the body should it strike at a particularly vulnerable spot, such as the temple or the eye. At a close enough range, the effect of the powder gasses is similar to a small explosion so although the paper wadding in the blank that Hexum discharged did not penetrate his skull, there was enough blunt force trauma to shatter a quarter-sized piece of his skull and propel the pieces into his brain, causing massive hemorrhaging.
And then there's the tragic but stupid case of Brandon Lee's death from a .44 thought to be loaded with blanks.

Late SEAL Team 6 member Adam Brown lost his dominant right eye to a simmunition round during training because he turned his attention away for a split second from what was in front of him, and the round got past the ballistic lenses he was wearing and pulped his eyeball.

This stuff is serious, and to the extent that any of us lets our attention wander for a moment while we are either gun in hand, or around others who have a gun in hand, we risk lead poisoning.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

If no actual discharge of a firearm is needed for training, extreme adherence to the three (or four depending on your source) rules of safe gun handling is absolutely called for. Someone has already mentioned the use of blue guns, SIRT pistols and the like, and simunitions have been mentioned already as well. There is another alternative as well for a classroom setting where actual discharge of the firearm is not warranted -- a training barrel inserted instead of the regular barrel of a firearm. Brownell's sells them for three or four popular semi-auto platforms. The "barrel" is yellow plastic and fits in the gun in place of the regular barrel but does not allow for chambering of a round at all.
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-acces ... 26106.aspx
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Jusme wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
parabelum wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
It was a revolver.

Exactly, blanks are loud, and even the propellant at close range can and has caused injuries. We only used blanks in training outdoors, for our practicals, and never at close range. They do look, and feel different, I can't imagine loading a live round and mistaking it for a blank.
Since there is no projectile leaving the barrel, blanks also do not cause recoil.

This adds more mystery to how one could unknowingly shoot someone more than once with the excuse that he thought he was firing blanks.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

Excaliber wrote:
Jusme wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
parabelum wrote:
MeMelYup wrote:
It was a revolver.

Since there is no projectile leaving the barrel, blanks also do not cause recoil.

This adds more mystery to how one could unknowingly shoot someone more than once with the excuse that he thought he was firing blanks.
I'm learning a lot about blanks today. Very informational and interesting.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

It's just really a bad idea to train with blanks in a revolver, especially at close range. Semi's have to use blank firing adapters in order to cycle, and I've only ever used them in assault rifles (M-16). The BFA was a big red "block" that clamped onto the flash hider and inserted a metal rod in the barrel. Then the blank 5.56 rounds were crimped brass at the end with no bullet. Even then we weren't supposed to point them at anyone closer than 30 feet. And this was for sailors and marines on active duty training for ground combat...not civilian/citizen patrol training... :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

TexasTornado wrote: I've never seen or handled a blank, but would it look any different loaded into the weapon?

Not from the back side of a revolver, but you could tell by looking at the front of the cylinder if it was an unshrouded type.
In any case, the idea, the correct way is you make the gun different in both visual and physical ways. I have modified real weapons for blank use. the chambers were plugged in a way that did not allow real loaded ammo to chamber, but blanks would.
In the semi auto I did, this also allowed for reliable cycling with a modified slide and recoil spring.
I've seen folks just do a barrel plug :eek6 and not address the issue of real ammo being capable of being loaded :headscratch :shock: :shock:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

Scott B. wrote:As stated previously, blue guns exist for a reason.
This

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Is it just me or are Florida cops stupider than cops in the rest of the rest of the country? They seem to be having an epidemic of shooting people that clearly shouldn't be shot.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “Never Again!!”