Realization comes home - always carry. Even at home.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
doncb
Posts in topic: 3

Realization comes home - always carry. Even at home.

Post by doncb »

Hearing of people carrying when they are home always struck me as a bit not paranoid but a bit much. After all, what could happen at home?

Well, a couple of nights ago I had something happen that made me rethink carrying while I'm home. It was around 11:00 at night and when I went to take the trash out the garage door broke. One of the rollers came off of the track. Naturally it was the hardest one to get to. As I'm up on the ladder, wrestling with the door, this guy walks up and starts a story about how he lives just down the street and is buying a car from some woman who lives in some apartments and he locked the keys in the car, yada, yada. Then he asks me if I could please take him to get keys from her because she doesn't drive at night. Then he tells me his kid is in the car. I started to feel just a bit uncomfortable. Told him I had to fix the door and he tells me he can wait!. I told him I had to fix the door and he couldn't wait. Never seen him before and he doesn't live "down the street". He did leave and after I finished with the door, it suddenly hit me, what if he had done something right then and there? (There was no way I was going to drive him anywhere. I'm not that stupid. No, really I'm not.) I was so focused on fixing the door that I had tunnel brain. The situation didn't feel right and it made me realize that you don't have to be out somewhere else for something to happen. I carry at home now and always will from now on. Lesson learned.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Realization comes home - always carry. Even at home.

Post by dlh »

doncb wrote:Hearing of people carrying when they are home always struck me as a bit not paranoid but a bit much. After all, what could happen at home?

Well, a couple of nights ago I had something happen that made me rethink carrying while I'm home. It was around 11:00 at night and when I went to take the trash out the garage door broke. One of the rollers came off of the track. Naturally it was the hardest one to get to. As I'm up on the ladder, wrestling with the door, this guy walks up and starts a story about how he lives just down the street and is buying a car from some woman who lives in some apartments and he locked the keys in the car, yada, yada. Then he asks me if I could please take him to get keys from her because she doesn't drive at night. Then he tells me his kid is in the car. I started to feel just a bit uncomfortable. Told him I had to fix the door and he tells me he can wait!. I told him I had to fix the door and he couldn't wait. Never seen him before and he doesn't live "down the street". He did leave and after I finished with the door, it suddenly hit me, what if he had done something right then and there? (There was no way I was going to drive him anywhere. I'm not that stupid. No, really I'm not.) I was so focused on fixing the door that I had tunnel brain. The situation didn't feel right and it made me realize that you don't have to be out somewhere else for something to happen. I carry at home now and always will from now on. Lesson learned.
I agree. I live twenty minutes from the nearest police---when seconds count the police just minutes away as the old saying goes. Always be prepared.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

doncb wrote:Hearing of people carrying when they are home always struck me as a bit not paranoid but a bit much. After all, what could happen at home?

Well, a couple of nights ago I had something happen that made me rethink carrying while I'm home. It was around 11:00 at night and when I went to take the trash out the garage door broke. One of the rollers came off of the track. Naturally it was the hardest one to get to. As I'm up on the ladder, wrestling with the door, this guy walks up and starts a story ...
I always thought my two big dogs would buy me a little time to go get a defensive tool should I need one. I would not have had my dogs in the garage while working on fixing the door - they would have gone on a dog adventure without me.

It still feels a little odd to be strapped while just sitting at home, poking on the interenets. Great real life example. Thx.

Acronym 12/3/2016 12:28 PM

10mmillie

Post by 10mmillie »

Glad nothing bad happened to you and glad you are now carrying at home. I've been carrying at home for many years now and have had to clear leather more times in my front yard than out and about.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Great reminder, Mrs. Jusme used to ask me why I carried up until I went to bed, until a couple of years ago when a guy showed up at the door on foot asking for gas money. We were able to see him before he got to the door, and our dogs were on high alert barking. Before going to the door I unholstered
, and had my wife retrieve the shotgun from the bedroom. He was obviously under the influence of something and tried opening the storm door, when I revealed my gun. He then started cussing and said we should give him money. I told him he had a very limited amount of time to vacate my property, or gas money would be the least of his problems. I guess some uncontaminated brain cells kicked in and he left.
We called the sheriff's department, and they caught up with him further down the road and he was taken in for PI and outstanding burglary warrants.

She doesn't ask me anymore.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I've started carrying any time I work in the yard.

Given it's just my wife and I and we rarely and I do mean rarely have visitors as my Daughter and Granddaughter's have moved away, we keep a ready gun available within arms reach 'in every room' including BR's.

The discomfort of sitting down with iron on my hip with a bad back doesn't appeal to me...so to compensate for not carrying on my hip, the various rooms are well endowed, if you will...

Eric Lamberson

Post by Eric Lamberson »

This is where a pocket pistol comes in handy. I always have a J-Frame in my pocket until the house is completely secured for the night.
Massad Ayoob Group Staff Instructor, NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor, and RSO;
Texas LTC Instructor, IDPA 6-gun Master, Suarez International Affiliate

Topic author
doncb

Post by doncb »

Eric Lamberson wrote:This is where a pocket pistol comes in handy. I always have a J-Frame in my pocket until the house is completely secured for the night.
I picked up a Ruger LCP a couple of weeks ago when Cabela's had them on sale. Going to be in my pocket.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Pocket carry in a pocket holster I hope...?

Dart106A
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dart106A »

Yep. A "mouse gun", a 2-shot Bond derringer, a "pocket pistol", whatever it is. Always live in Jeff Cooper's "Condition Yellow."

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Someone remind me ...

At what location is it where home invasions always occur?

What looked like a UPS delivery = Home Invasion by 4 Armed robbers
http://abc13.com/news/homeowner-brutall ... r/1636109/

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

dlh wrote:

I agree. I live twenty minutes from the nearest police---when seconds count the police just minutes away as the old saying goes. Always be prepared.
The LEO's job is to draw the chalk outline. It's your job to make sure it's not YOUR outline. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=83658
my incident at home!
ruger lcr at home/taking the garbage out. mossberg 590 in my walk in closet.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

That home invasion was 3-4 miles from my house. But it's a 'nice neighborhood' - that magical force field of safety must have been on the fritz.
NotRPB wrote:Someone remind me ...

At what location is it where home invasions always occur?

What looked like a UPS delivery = Home Invasion by 4 Armed robbers
http://abc13.com/news/homeowner-brutall ... r/1636109/
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Topic author
doncb

Post by doncb »

Abraham wrote:Pocket carry in a pocket holster I hope...?
Absolutely!! Safety first and always.

Return to “Never Again!!”