Attempted Armed Robbery

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 2

Attempted Armed Robbery

Post by ELB »

I guess this fits in the lessons-learned forum... I found it fascinating to watch, ask myself "Why are these people not paying attention and standing around?", and reviewing what I might do if I were in the store.

It is surveillance videos of a robbery attempt. Actually pretty clear ones for once (color!). Store manager (I guess) has the right idea and cojones to go with it, but I could think of a better tool or two he could use.

Good guys win in the end, and just like in the old movies, the cavalry shows up right after the good guys have won.

Warning to those on dial-up connections (like me :sad: ) -- the video is 8+ minutes long, so takes along time to download. I found it worth it though.

Enjoy and learn.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=4f5_1185749193

elb

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Wow. That manager sure had some fight in him. After fighting to keep the door closed for a couple of minutes (coming mighty close to being stabbed in the head), he gets the knife, chases the guy out, tackles him, and then engages in 4+ minutes of out-and-out wrasslin! :shock:

What was with the lady grabbing up her kid and rushing past the fight, into the store?

I hope Mr. Greenshirt in the black Tahoe had a nice day. It's obvious he was shuffling off to something more important than subduing an armed robber.

RubenZ
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RubenZ »

Round of applause to the guy in Blue shirt who helped out.

I don't think I would sit around and watch that go on and not do anything.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

RubenZ wrote:Round of applause to the guy in Blue shirt who helped out.
I think the handshake and hug said it all.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

KBCraig wrote:I hope Mr. Greenshirt in the black Tahoe had a nice day. It's obvious he was shuffling off to something more important than subduing an armed robber.
My kinda guy. Did you notice he even failed to stop before the pulled out of the parking lot? Whadda man.

It's not exactly clear to me how the store manager kept the perp subdued until they got him quasi-tied-up. He sure didn't look like Royce Gracie, but the presumably younger robber, after he was dropped, never moved more than about 12 inches farther away from the door.

LEO response: first cruiser arrived in about five minutes from the time we saw the woman on the phone in the back office, and three other cruisers arrived within another 60 seconds or so. Don't know where this took place, but I'm impressed.

And thanks, ELB, for posting. What I took away was a big ol' reinforcement of Grossman's "sheeple" concept. Wow. I don't think anybody even noticed the guy wearing the big, black, full-head mask and carrying a butcher knife until he crossed behing the counter and confronted the two workers there...and even then, it looked like it took them a couple of seconds to realize he was a threat. And all the people at the gas pumps, except the one guy in the silver car who backed and came over near the end, were oblivious.

And we worrying about accidental printing. ;-)

Not gonna fault the manager or Mr. Blue Shirt for anything they might have done better, tactically speaking, because they displayed the most important thing: the right awareness and attitude. Notice Mr. Blue Shirt doesn't look like he had just stepped out of the gym, but after the moment it took for him to realize what was happening, look at his next, immediate reaction: he took a couple of steps toward the struggle, and you could tell his intent was to help, whether he had even had time to really think about it or not.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

What was with the lady grabbing up her kid and rushing past the fight, into the store?
I believe that is one of the cashiers (the lady in the yellow shirt) and the little girl who was in the store when the robber walked in. If you look early in the video, you see the little girl outside the counter area. My guess is that when the weirdo robber was trying to break into the office, yellow-shirt-cashier grabbed the little girl and ran out into the parking lot. When the fight moved outside, she ran back inside. I think she should have gone into another building altogether and called the cops, but it worked out.
It's not exactly clear to me how the store manager kept the perp subdued until they got him quasi-tied-up. He sure didn't look like Royce Gracie, but the presumably younger robber, after he was dropped, never moved more than about 12 inches farther away from the door.

I wondered about this too, and I wonder if the robber was physically/mentally handicapped in some way. I thought he was moving very strangely when he walked into the store -- maybe it was just hard to see out of the mask, but it seemed more than that to me. And I think I could fight harder if pinned on the ground -- it was like his upper body movements were restricted somehow. Strange.

The first time I saw this, I watched the main action, but on the second review I was amazed at the people in the background, like Mr. Greeshirt/BlackSUV. Next time I'm in the "stuff", I hope Blueshirt is there instead!

From the standpoint of personal safety, the store manager would have been better off letting the robber go once he was out the door, but from public safety standpoint, no telling how many future crimes the manager prevented by nailing the robber to the ground. Good on him and Blueshirt. And he should get pepper spray, a CHL, and appropriate "hardware" for next time.

elb
Last edited by ELB on Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

KBCraig wrote:Wow. That manager sure had some fight in him. After fighting to keep the door closed for a couple of minutes (coming mighty close to being stabbed in the head), he gets the knife, chases the guy out, tackles him, and then engages in 4+ minutes of out-and-out wrasslin! :shock:

I hope Mr. Greenshirt in the black Tahoe had a nice day. It's obvious he was shuffling off to something more important than subduing an armed robber.

That is the first thing I noticed too.

I was literally talking to my computer....saying "LADY, WHAT ARE YOU DOING". :oops:

As for Mr. Greenshirt, Unless he just got out of surgery the week before.....then I am really disappointed in him and his type.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

fadlan12

Post by fadlan12 »

Couple things I noticed:

The thug was thankfully dumb enough not to get a hostage to negotiate the door open.

It seemed like a lifetime before the police arrived.

I would hate to be in a situation where I have to detain someone physically until backup arrived.

I wonder if the manager was armed would this have come out differently? Would he have shot the perp if he decided to run? And if he did not the perp might not have been arrested. The manager was definetly lucky that someone stepped up and help subdue him.

I can imagine the thug "dropping a load" if the manager pulled out a gun to his kitchen knife. :shock:

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

The lady was leading the kid back in the store, looks like the same lady who was behind the counter when the criminal came in with the knife...The kid was also in the store at the beginning as well...

Why they went back in while the scuffle was just outside the front door is beyond me as well...

The amount of traffic (on foot and in vehicles) coming in and out of the parking lot and store just amazes me...Most did nothing, and the one guy that did help...Good for him...I bet he gets free coffee for life!

I'm also amazed that it looks like no one got hurt...(stabbed)...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

I didn’t care for mister Green Shirts response either. But many folks on this site have stated “If me or mine are not at risk, then I’m not getting involved�…isn’t that pretty much what Green Shirt did?

It seems some of our own members would have responded the same way :sad:

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

TX Rancher wrote:I didn’t care for mister Green Shirts response either. But many folks on this site have stated “If me or mine are not at risk, then I’m not getting involved�…isn’t that pretty much what Green Shirt did?

It seems some of our own members would have responded the same way :sad:

Like you, I am thinking what a shame.

I recognize that any decision "to get involved" would need to be based upon the circumstances at hand.

But....it appears to me, Mr. Greenshirt was an able bodied young man, not with anyone else (wife,children,etc) and was in the immediate vicinity of the event.

In this case...he would not have needed to "intercept" the BG (a potentially risky move), all that was needed was a helping hand to restrain the person.

Again, I realize not everyone is physically capable....and others just don't have the stomach for it, but more and more I see this country's citizens displaying an indifference for one another (especially in the big cities).

Are we slowly becoming a Nation of Cowards?

Does the world really need another France?
Last edited by flintknapper on Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

flintknapper wrote:Again, I realize not everyone is physically capable....and others just don't have the stomach for it, but more and more I see this country's citizens displaying an indifference for one another (especially in the big cities).

Are we slowly becoming a Nation of Cowards?
I think you are correct in this analysis...

So here's some reading material...This needs to be put into a sticky somewhere on this website...Its a good gut check!

Read it, learn it, live it...

A Nation of Cowards...

http://www.jim.com/cowards.htm
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

That guy in green is a butthat!

How can you NOT offer assistance in a situation like that

I guess the On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs lesson is true...

I choose to think like a sheepdog and not a sheep

Things like that make my blood boil!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

TXGLOCK23

Post by TXGLOCK23 »

You can tell Mr Blue shirt was not overly trained, tacticaly speaking, he even appeared a little timid at first, but he still got involved and helped out the store owner. Kudos to him. The rest of the folks around there, well, what can you say. Buried their collective heads in the sand. Thanks for sharing that video.

Return to “Never Again!!”