The shot that scared me to death!!

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tex45acp
Posts in topic: 1

The shot that scared me to death!!

Post by tex45acp »

I have been shooting handguns for over 25 years and have been careful to not do anything unsafe or otherwise that could cause any bad situations to arise.

I had gone to my local outdoor gun range with my with my new Browning Buckmark Target pistol. I had bought some high dollar target grade ammunition to really find out what kind of accuracy the gun was capable of and started shooting at 100 yards from a bench. It was incredibly accurate, so I decided to do some fun shooting with some hollowpoint ammo at swinging metal disks at the 25 yard mark. The disks are about 6" in diameter and are attached to the frame with chain. I started shooting at one of these rapid fire and was taping it pretty good. I decided to get a little more precise and decided to pick a dark spot in the center of one of the discs to aim at. I fired one round and felt something hit me in the chest right above the right nipple. It felt like someone had thumped me with their finger and I looked down to see a drop of blood forming on my white t-shirt.........! My heart started to beat like a schoolboy after his first kiss and I started to shake, I got weak kneed and sat down. I was with a buddy, who happens to be a paramedic, that immediately came over and realized that something was wrong. we pulled up my shirt and found a very small laceration that was bleeding. He said I can see something just into the laceration and I said, in a very shaky voice, "pull it out" fearing the worst. It was a very small piece of lead from my .22 bullet. He really looked me over and to make sure that was all that was wrong and after I quit shaking, we walked down to inspect the metal disk I had shot at. The spot turned out to be the bullet dent from a .45 caliber bullet. I had missed the dent with my shot with all but about 25% of the slug, per the lead splash. The 25% left a clearly visible trail where it followed the dent into one side, across the raduised bottom and back out the other side heading my way. That 25% was what was loged into the laceration. Then I really started to shake. Now I wear all the proper equipment to protect my eyes and hearing, but I never thought I could do something like this, that none of that equipment would protect me from.

Moral: Don't shoot at those kinds of targets with large caliber guns that can make the bullet dents I speak of and then be sure of what you are shooting at.
Texas.....Nuff Said!!!

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Glad to hear you weren't seriously injured. Shooting at steel does have pitfalls.
I had a similar experience years ago shooting at a steel plate with a Contender when a piece of the bullet jacket came back 50 yards and hit me in the arm.
Definitely an eye opener.

j1132s

Post by j1132s »

I recently sold a buckmark.. I felt really bad reading your 1st few sentences, thinking the gun blew up on your hands or something and you were my purchaser. Anyway, I 'm glad that you are ok.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Similar thing happened to me many years ago. Out in the country, trash pile including an old bumper from a 1960's vintage Ford was the "let's see if this will penetrate it" target of choice. S&W 357 revolver with so called armor piercing rounds. This was before the stupid commie laws that are now in place. The jacket or a piece of bounced back, cut thru pants leg below the knee where it's loose and just barely scraped my calf.
Wake up call !

:)

EL29jm

Re: The shot that scared me to death!!

Post by EL29jm »

Yup.. 2005 thread

-John
Last edited by EL29jm on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Grid - EL29jl - moved) NRA Lifetime member

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

whoa...old thread! :lol:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

pbwalker wrote:whoa...old thread! :lol:
Who is the current leader in the Zombie thread contest?
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

On my wedding day in 1994, I went with several groomsmen to the pistol range to have some fun before the late afternoon wedding.

I experienced something very similar, except I was hit in my stomach by a .45 full metal jacket. The bullet hit the top of my brass belt buckle, bending it over slightly. Then it hit me in the stomach, knocking the wind out of me....but no puncture. Like you, scared me pretty good.

I still have the bullet which I keep by my sink.

I told my bride the story on the way to the reception (bad idea) and after the tears cleared up, she was ok.

I don't have time this morning, but I'll post a pic of the bullet here later. You can see where the buckle dug into the bullet, ultimately slowing it down *just enough*......

So, yes...eye/ear protection at all times..
Chuckybrown

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

chuckybrown wrote: I still have the bullet which I keep by my sink.
Why in the sink? I think I know, but just checking.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've had small pieces of lead splash come back and hit me. And I've had roccochets whiz past my head before.......which was pretty disconcerting. But so far (fingers crossed) I've never been injured. However, the day that I first checked out the Dallas Pistol Club before joining, they were having a match at the time, and I clearly remember a young female competitor having to leave to go get stitches because a piece of copper jacket came back and embedded itself pretty deeply in her arm.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Ameer wrote:
pbwalker wrote:whoa...old thread! :lol:
Who is the current leader in the Zombie thread contest?
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

ELB

Post by ELB »

'tis an old thread, how'd it get resurrected?

Anyway (make sure you have sound turned up...)

[youtube][/youtube]
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “Never Again!!”