Just when I thought I was safe...

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
jason
Posts in topic: 1

Just when I thought I was safe...

Post by jason »

I had only been in Texas about six months after moving from California, where CHL exists, but is virtually impossible.

As soon as I could, I obtained my CHL. I did the obligatory Walmart walk through and purchased some ammo. Hey, it felt as though everyone was looking at me, but I made it out alright.

About a month into my new CHL lifestyle, I had grown quite accustomed to carrying and no longer had those paranoid thoughts that everyone knew I was strapped. I always believe in following the rules, even if I don't agree with them. If a place posted 30-06, I didn't carry.

So there I am walking into Bass Pro shop with my daughter. We were actually going there to eat at the restaurant. I had never been to a Bass Pro Shop (deprived childhood I guess), and first noticed the turnstile in the entryway. There was a big sign that stated, "please check firearms with customer service."

I was a little taken back by this sign, and confusion swept over me. To check my firearm meant to remove it from its concealed position on my body, a no-no according to my training - brandishing.

My hand drifted unconsciously to my firearm and my confusion must have been evident on my face. The elderly greeter just on the other side of the sign, quietly notified me that the sign was in reference to people bringing firearms in for servicing/repair. :oops:

Xander

Post by Xander »

LOL! Yeah...There's been a lot of confusion over that stupid sign, from both customers *and* employees from some of the stories that have come across the forum.

starrbuck

Re: Just when I thought I was safe...

Post by starrbuck »

jason wrote:The greeter just on the other side of the sign, quietly notified me that the sign was in reference to people bringing firearms in for servicing/repair. :oops:
Thanks for posting your experience. I would've been confused by this as well!
Springfield XD(m) 9mm 3.8 | Springfield XD-45 Compact | Springfield XD-9 Service
Kimber Pro CDP II .45 ACP | Kimber Pro Aegis II 9mm w/Crimson Trace | Walther PPS 9mm
Bushmaster AR-15 w/Magpul pistol grip and foregrip, Bushnell holosight

I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Whatever you do...Don't play poker for a while! The tell is incredible! ;-)

Glad you got off the left coast there though!
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

guy walks up to you and says, " hey buddy, please give me your wallet."

me: "umm, no."

If they don't have any clout to bar you from it legally then the legal stuff still applies. Don't break concealment unless the request is legitimate.

para driver

Post by para driver »

welcome to FREE(er) America..

Will938

Post by Will938 »

Welcome to flavor country :P

Unless a peace officer tells you to remove it or you have a life threatening situation infront of you, keep it concealed. The worst that can happen is them some how noticing and asking you to leave.

razoraggie

Post by razoraggie »

stevie_d_64 wrote:Whatever you do...Don't play poker for a while! The tell is incredible! ;-)

Glad you got off the left coast there though!
:smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Thats something I really dig about here; more people than I expect to seem to "get it."

I was at Red Robin a few months ago when my cover garment managed to get tucked behind my gun.

The girl serving me saw it and started asking me questions about it; not freaked out at all.

As a California emigrant, I still subconsciously expect people to go, "GUN OH NO EVERYONE HIDE!"
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

I'm working on changing my instinct to touch the gun to make sure it's still covered.

I've managed to change my instinct to palm it through my shirt to grabbing my waistband and pretending to adjust my pants. I've looked at it in the mirror and had the wife eyeball me as well. No printing at all, it just looks like i'm an old fuddy duddy messing with my pantaloons, but at least it still gives me that subtle info that i'm still concealed.

I've also figured out that if i adjust the cant of my gun a bit I can dig my right hand in my pocket like i'm digging for change so that i can press my forearm against my waist and feel that all things are well.

Kinda makes me feel like the little teen yawning and stretching his arm around his date :)

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

LedJedi wrote:I'm working on changing my instinct to touch the gun to make sure it's still covered.

I've managed to change my instinct to palm it through my shirt to grabbing my waistband and pretending to adjust my pants.
Hey...I may have a poker game going on this next weekend...Yer invited! I promise not to put you in the chair that has the mirror behind it... ;-)

Yes, yes...You may carry in my house...We'll do it old school...Everyone puts their guns on the table...Except the doofus that brings that big ole Desert Eagle .50 (that goes over on another table...) :lol:

If I didn't like ya Led, I wouldn't pick on ya...

;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
LedJedi wrote:I'm working on changing my instinct to touch the gun to make sure it's still covered.

I've managed to change my instinct to palm it through my shirt to grabbing my waistband and pretending to adjust my pants.
Hey...I may have a poker game going on this next weekend...Yer invited! I promise not to put you in the chair that has the mirror behind it... ;-)

Yes, yes...You may carry in my house...We'll do it old school...Everyone puts their guns on the table...Except the doofus that brings that big ole Desert Eagle .50 (that goes over on another table...) :lol:

;-)
hey, i'm pretty good at poker.

:cheers2:

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

LedJedi wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote:

;-)
hey, i'm pretty good at poker.

:cheers2:
Yeah!!! I wanna make some money!!! :lol:
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “Never Again!!”